Anythoughts on 2.8TD pajero auto?

jaycey001

Went to look a very nice 1995 pajero import yesterday. It was very clean and all the bits worked.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the 2.8td engine, are they any good, easy to work on etc?

Hadn't been started for a few weeks, engine was cold, pre heated and fired first time, but lumpy at first but after a few secs it was running smoothly. gearbox smooth etc.

Want a 4x4 for towing and winter use.

be grateful of any comments

Thanks

James

Fuel pump seals go but I don't think they're a difficult job. I had one for a few months a couple of years back and it was a treat to drive, a really nice place to be. I got shut because the economy was a bit stupid though, low 20s were the average and with diesel being more expensive than petrol it was a killer as I mostly do short journeys.

Fair play though, if you can live with the council estate/pikey image they're very well screwed together and the Pajero (as opposed to Shogun) models are well equipped too.

pajeros are all imports, shoguns are usually the uk model, the 2.8 spits out fuel pump seals, bottom crank pulleys can break up, the egr system can cause the engine to stutter like it is misfiring, I just put a blanking plate on my delica, it's been no bother since.

Check it shifts in and out of all 4x4 modes properly, assuming it's super select, flashing lights mean it isn't selecting or a duff switch in the box (about £85 each)...

Rust, they love it.

I think it's a Shogun (what is the difference?).

The car was launched in 1982 as a Pajero, the UK importers decided to call UK cars Shoguns owing to the popularity of a tv show starring Richard Chamberlain. It was called Shogun.

In spanish speaking countries (and India and the US) the car is called Montero as Pajero means wanker in spanish.

Any badged as Pajero in the UK will have the following differences;

The key is in the shape of a pie.

They all have towbars.*

There is a PTO at the rear to run one of those burner things (the ones the keep tarmac molten).

They have a special non-stick windscreen that means you can't attach a tax disc.

All the Pajeros in the UK will have registration plates that look Irish (but bear a number never issued in the Republic), however on crossing the border on a back road from Norn Irn to the Republic they will rotate (just like 007's car) to reveal a number that looks British (but is unknown to Swansea). This process also happens in reverse. If the car doesn't make at least four border crossings a year the number plate drum may sieze. You can check its working using the hidden button under the dash.

Some Pajeros had an optional mesh grille fitted between the back seats and the boot to stop the dags in back seat being bitten by the kids in the boot. If fitted this can add up to £50 to the price of the car.

Good luck.

*ITSACARAVAN. FORMEMAMMY!

^^whs.

I've never driven the 2.8, but the 2.5 I had was pretty poor. If you genuinely need a big heavy 4x4 7 seater towcar, I suppose its justified, however be aware that its one of the few vehicles where when towing the petrol version is better on fuel than the diesel. the TD is pretty gutless even when not towing and rarely betters 22 mpg, it works hard to shift the bulk of the vehicle at the best of times.

As you will see from the number of spares or repairs pajero/shoguns on ebay, there is plenty to go wrong with them, from HGF, malfunctioning autoboxes, blown turbos (the turbo is working hard ALL the time) and rot. They are a pleasant vehicle to drive, mine was the exceed model with leather, adjusable suspension etc but just really didn't justify the expense of running it.

The more modern Isuzus are reckoned by some to be the best of the bunch as an all rounder. Discos are quite economical for their size but rot is a big problem. Personally I'd go for an early '90s Range rover with the 200tdi engine. still rust a lot but its a range rover and therefore ace.

I like this type:

1988l3_tm_1.jpg

The mk1? There are a couple in a scrapyard near me and the interiors are typical Japanese, which I like. One was a turbo petrol and had a complete brown interior with an ancient turbo timer stuck on the brown dashboard.

I'm put off by the mpg and reliability - are they that bad? I'm not keen on the Isuzu's.

I always thought they were called Shotguns when I was younger. :oops:

Ive got an L reg one and its not to bad if you can stand the low mpg , i mainly use mine for towing but oddly the mpg doesnt seem to be any better when not towing . Mine has front seal problems and can be a pain on cold mornings but generaly has allways started with a thick blue cloud . Tows a car transporter with a Scorpio on it quite happily though . But definatly not a motor to go fast in 50-55 mph quite happy all day , 60 mph ok , 65 mph the mood changes for the worse and adds an air of unpredictability i did 70 mph once never again , but horses for courses

As Pete says, the head gaskets are weak - though I suspect this has a lot to do with people ignoring things like coolant level "because it's a reliable Jap 4x4 innit." Not sure they are a world of pain though. A friend has a Delica (similar running gear) and good grief does it take some abuse!

The economy is the worst thing. They do like to drink, though the 2.8 is quite a lot different to the 2.5. They redefine sluggish!

Can't say I've heard of too many HGFs on the 2.8 and was always under the impression the 2.5 was the bastard of the family. Anything 2.2 or 2.4 Toyota/diesel related seems to be the best to avoid.