Anyone else need a cheap derv loadlugger (SALE ON HOLD!)

r.welfare

Remember how I resprayed the front panels of my 405 wagon but didn't get 'em quite right (they pass the "10ft test" but are a bit orangepeely)? Well, look what I'm picking up tonight...

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1993-PEUGEOT-405-HUNTER-GREEN_W0QQitemZ130232430847

As Harry Hill would say: "What are the chances of that happening, eh?"

PLAN:

1. Swap over front end (bonnet, both wings, bumper);

2. Swap alloys for a set of steels (with correct hubcaps and decent tyres);

3. Swap driver's seats if the "new" one is any good - mine has a split seam across the base, no big deal.

Items 1-3 need to be done without knowledge of heavily-pregnant Mrs W, who is now on maternity leave and liable to throw a blue fit. So give me a couple of weeks...

Anyway, fella tells me that the clutch slips a bit when the turbo boosts but it's perfectly driveable - and I should be able to sort the oil leak with a rocker cover gasket I have "in stock"...any interest for 200 squids (MOT till Feb 09, tax till Sept)? If not, I'll just keep it locked away for a rainy day. If the A/C still works, all bets are off!!!

More info to follow after tonight - I'll update on any history, and how it drives etc. PM me if interested! These mothers are great, mine gets 52-54mpg even with the roofbars on (and I've got a spare pair of those which I could chuck in, too).

Big apologies to BS6 too - this one kinda fell into my lap, and it's only a short train ride from work!

I'm confuzzled, as is not unusual.....you've won a straight looking 405 Hunter estate like the way yours is meant to be & you're planning to vulture parts off it to make your ruff one straight again? Why not just keep the straight one out of curiosity?? :?

The only reason my "ruff" one looks rough is because my paint-spraying skillz are not great. Mechanically, it's A1 - particularly as it's having new rear brakes and a radiator today (wasn't expecting the latter - just having had "the call" from the garage - but given the current rad is stamped "1997" on the top, it seems about right).This new one has factory paintwork, but a shagged handbrake and a slipping clutch, both of which are beyond my mechanical ken (and/or level of spare time available), and not cheap to get professionally repaired; plus, I have no idea about service history on this one, either - my original one has every invoice from new, and had a new cambelt and waterpump recently, too. So it's a no-brainer to swap the front end panels from the new one onto my original one, plus the alloys and potentially the driver's seat, to make it near-mint. This "new" one will still be a going concern, however!

OK - just returned from the pickup. Wife not hugely happy, but seems pacified that it's just 4 parts. I'm not so sure...On the plus side - only 128k on the clock, with Pug SH up to 88k; clutch feels like it could be the cable rather than the plate (good this, as I have one "in stock"); brand new tyres all round on pretty unmarked alloys (needs centre caps though); perfect driver's seat; no drooping on the headlining at all; decent radio reception (! - must be the extra-long aerial); no ABS faults; starts/stops/steers fine.On the minus side - ventilation fan doesn't work at all (but at least the heater works - hopefully just a fuse); electric mirrors don't work (ditto); couple of marks here and there; a lot of turbo whistle and not the usual "shove" at 2000rpm which leads me to believe there's a boost leak somewhere; a sort-of sandblasted finish to the roof; suspect thermostat stuck open too.Soooooo....it will donate it's front panels, wheels and driver's seat, but after that I'm not sure. I think I will give it a good blast with the polishing mop, change the thermostat and give the cooling system a flush, give it an oil change, look at the pipework to the turbo and then decide. But I think I will probably store it away for the future - sorry to do a "Pandamonium", but as I've had no PMs evidently no-one is really that bovvered. :wink:

I'd agree with that. I had at one time the choice of keeping 1 of 2 Cavalier GLis and kept the one I'd had for a year rather than just 2 months, despite the other one being younger, less miles and far better looking. I sold it to the guy who did my MOTs at the time, and 3 months later I saw him walking along the street and the car parked up half a mile later...it had dizzy trouble since I'd sold it! The other one was fine.

Call me dumb, but why go to all that trouble of swapping parts all over etc, if you sort the above issues keep this one and sell your old one? Or is it a case of better the devil you know :D:?:

Yep, it's better the devil you know - the "old" one has 50k more miles but less owners, all the history since new and I've had all the "hard" work done - cambelt, waterpump, radiator, brakes, glowplugs. I'm going to keep the new one as well though!

Call me dumb, but why go to all that trouble of swapping parts all over etc, if you sort the above issues keep this one and sell your old one? Or is it a case of better the devil you know :D:?:

Seems like an echo of my post above to me! But glad it wasn't just me questioning it :wink: