My new shite!

Guest greenvanman

Guest greenvanman

I've finally got some new 4-wheeled transport to replace that wretched Skoda, courtesy of Mr A. Ross of this very parish!

Posted Image

Posted Image

First impressions were very favourable, a nice easy run back up the A1 in the company of my mate's Hiace Super Extra Custom. It's way quieter than my OH's 306XLD, at times I even forgot it was a diesel. The tow hitch will be useful for pulling a scooter trailer and it's so nice to have a sliding sunroof again! Today's activities were mostly concentrated on a general tidy up, replacing the dead CD player with an MP3 head unit saved from the Skoda, and carefully cable-tying the wheel trims on.

I might even give it a wash tomorrow!

Guest greenvanman

Looks more interesting than your average with it's earlier orange indicators on a later car! (or is it just the grille that's wrong for the car?)

Well spotted Reg, I wouldn't have known if Albert hadn't told me. It is indeed the wrong grille. The wheels are off a much later model too, and something you won't have been able to see is that it has van springs on the back - GR8 4 HAULIN SCOOTERZ

Guest greenvanman

Colour coded bumpers a later addition?

That too! If I find some fog lamps in the scrappers I'll be sure to fill the holes in the front one as the switch and wiring are already in place!

Seems to have the badge of the earlier Mk3 Astras too ('turbo intercooler'). I'm thinking this will be the legendary Isuzu lump rather than the later asthmatic low blow jobbie?4x100 tastic, spoilt for choice for rimz and it's veg oil friendly. You are a winner.

Guest greenvanman

Get some T-Cut on it stat, but it already looks 100 times better than the eminently overhonest Mr A Ross made it sound in his sales blurb! Some Waxoyl in the sills/rear arches may also be a good plan for long life.

Indeed, as Albert will testify my first words on arrival were "I was expecting something much worse". But yeah, once I've got the EP80 stains out of the back seat I will break out the T-Cut :)

Seems to have the badge of the earlier Mk3 Astras too ('turbo intercooler'). I'm thinking this will be the legendary Isuzu lump rather than the later asthmatic low blow jobbie?.

It is the Isuzu, yeah. Veg oil friendly, you say?

Deffo the Isuzu and has been mildly tweaked in the pump area. It was built 2 weeks prior to the electronic Vectra pump set up, It has the YW 6.5x15 Astra H wheels (1.4/1.6 Life current model) 1998 Vectra Diesel Brakes, Van springs, colour coded bumpers were done by a mate in the bodyshop at work, yes it's the wrong grille, but it replaced the broken original. Square mirrors and orange indicators/repeaters are the giveaway for the mechanical pump etc. I replaced one CV joint, both track rod ends, (including clean and lube all the adjusters in a vice) Anti roll bar links, front lower arm rear bushes, previous owner to me replaced the fuel tankand all brake pipes, Alternator has been replaced recently, and as I didn't tell the new owner, the front pads are better than I first thought. I miss the old shed already, and it seems wierd looking out the window to see nothing there! But the Sierra is raring to go on the 1st July, so it's not too bad a deal really. Any questions you have about the current "spec" of the car, drop me a line, and I will try to help.I liked to sit on motorways at around 65ish, in 5th, and just tickle the turbo away up the scale to a good head of speed! Economical if you keep off the loud pedal, so trickling it is the best way in this current climate...........Enjoy, I had 2 good years out of it, and may it have many more!

It is the Isuzu, yeah. Veg oil friendly, you say?

So I'm led to believe, but probably best to triple check on teh internetz first.These will do 300,000 miles no bother with regular oil changes and basic maintenance and there's a tweaking guide somewhere on the net to get the best poke out of them without destroying the internals along the way.I never understood why GM did away with these and fitted the shitty low blow, and, in later Vauxhalls, the God awful 2.0DTi engines.I thought all Astra H models have five studders by the way, didn't know they made 4x100s on that model so must have come from a base spec model, possibly with no ABS. Not that that matters of course.Anyways the world is your oyster as far as rims go. You might even find someone with some 4x100 15" Astra Mk4 Sport alloys with mint 15" tyres on at the right price ;):lol: Oh, you're not part of the scene if you don't add Lexarse lights and an Irmscher grille :D

Like I said, the rims are current model 1.4/1.6 Life 6.5x15 with a decent offset, and were fitted when the brakes were converted to Vectra Diesel jobbies. It was originally shod on 155x13s but they made it a little wobbly.................So on went the 195/55s and out went the track!The guide to tweaking the pump can be found on the Migweb forum, and I followed just the first stages of it, not wishing to affect the emissions or economy/reliability though.................

Migweb is the greatest Vauxhall forum EVER. I just thought people should know that :lol: Can imagine the fun you had with 155/13s, they're like really old hat these days.

It's been fun resurrecting the car, it was left on "Death Row"at work as an unwanted trade in, got it off the sales team and added wonga to their Christmas Beer Fund (it rolls all year) It was Flame Pink, had a ripped doorskin, and sticky interior, stunk of fags/dogs/fishing tackle/shit etc. 4 Neutradols went in and it was stomachable after 3 weeks. I replaced the interior, and never looked back. I t was just TOO practical,and the LandRover was never getting done as I had the motor to do the job.Now I have done the same thing with a G plate Sapphire(although much cheaper) which is basically rusty but low miles/owners. I look forward to a coupleof years from that too.

Guest greenvanman

Ah but it wasn't found, or indeed lost, just too useful/surplus to requirements, and offered on here last week to all and sundry.

Indeed, and I can't believe no-one got in before me! It was nice meeting you, and thanks again for the use of the laptop so I could buy some insurance!

• 3 weeks later...