Oriental Offerings - Reincarnated

KruJoe

Thank you gentlemen!

We have been flitting around the North-East's North-East, sans interweb, so no updates, but I'll post each day's pictures one at a time.

That's a bit of an oddball Starlet, no? I never knew a 5 door one of these existed - was it a Japan only model that's been imported or something? Looks like it may be a turbo, also.

P1220823.jpg

There are a few Starlets about, especially in Chiang Mai, in fact I nearly didn’t bother posting that one! I never know what people will find interesting. From memory, almost all look like that, five doors with a body-kit, and ’12 VALVE’ stickers down the side. Come to think of it, many of the oddball hatchbacks of that era are the same – 205s and AXs spring to mind. They have body-kits on, though all are five doors, and middle of the range motors (1.4s).

Right, today’s installment takes us from Sukothai old town, an ancient ruined city, north-east to Phu Rhua in Loei.

Hard at work:

P1220946.jpg

P1220948.jpg

Anyone into trolley-busses?

P1220960.jpg

P1220951.jpg

P1220950.jpg

P1220949.jpg

P1220879.jpg

Sorry, I'm clueless on the American stuff. All I can make out is 'Premier'.

P1220954.jpg

This old woman's five wheeled mobile snack kitchen forward slash accident waiting to happen nearly made it to Catch of the Day.

P1220958.jpg

P1220957.jpg

P1220956.jpg

But the title goes to this:

P1220883.jpg

Imagine that as a beavertail!

P1220886.jpg

The rear bodywork, including fins, is all wood.

P1220884.jpg

Also available in Isuzu flavour:

P1220885.jpg

These are Sukothai's take on the songtaew taxi bus concept. Glorious.

P1220998.jpg

Moving on:

P1230025.jpg

I found these adverts in a magazine for Loei's Chery dealership. I like the way they put bricks under the wheels in the showroom! I haven't seen a Chery A1 yet...

P1230026.jpg

@CT: Today we’ve come past another sugar factory 50km east of Udon Thani, with dozens more over-loaded wagons waiting to go in full of ‘leaves and trash’… would that be one of yours too? We couldn’t see any signs for it at all. Listing heavily:

P1230480.jpg

Don’t know if I mentioned it, but my wife spent a few years of her childhood on a farm in the middle of sugar cane country (Suphan Buri), but the game seems to have moved on rather in the years since!

P1230029.jpg

This greeted us on arrival in Loei.

P1230032.jpg

Another unusual pick-up.

P1230031.jpg

A Mazda "Proceed"(?) would respond well to a good rodding, I'm thinking.

P1230033.jpg

Would have made CotD on a slower day.

The next batch takes us north to the Mekong...

The white pins are the factories - you'll drive past a fair few on your travels I guess. Usually you smell them before you see them - most smell like maltesers. That lorry is probably on its way to Keset Phol (Mitrphol group).

Thailand.png

If you are anywhere near Mukdahan in mid Feb, let me know - I'll be just across the border in Savannakhet, Laos.

Thank you Lukas. I've fallen into that trap before with a big Holden!

The white pins are the factories - you'll drive past a fair few on your travels I guess. Usually you smell them before you see them - most smell like maltesers.
Wow I didn't realise there are so many. I think I smelt more of them than we saw... much of Isaan (the North-East) has a peculiar smell, and it's not the fermented fish.
If you are anywhere near Mukdahan in mid Feb, let me know - I'll be just across the border in Savannakhet, Laos.
We were within a few km of Mukdahan this week (That Pranom), but we'll be heading back to the gray UK next week :(

Now Pa_Ted’s sig is talking to me. ไปให้พ้น = bugger off.

P1230018.jpg

Today's batch comes from a short trip north through Loei province, past Loei town to the Mekong River, which separates Thailand from Laos. ‘Loei’ (เลย) is difficult to pronounce but I’ll try to explain! Take the word ‘early’, and move the ‘l’ sound to the start, keeping the vowel sounds the same: ‘l-er-ee’. Now make it one smooth syllable: ‘Loei’. There you have it!

P1230019.jpg

Back to business. What a weapon! That looks like the back off a Sukothai bus on there.

P1230013.jpg

Another GM-based saloon on a roadside plinth.

P1230017.jpg

It was probably mounted there as a warning to road users. The Thais are a superstitious bunch, the wife said someone died in it for sure (so it's haunted), otherwise it would have been repaired (!)

P1230014.jpg

There are a few of these about:

P1230008.jpg

Just a hint of Spirito di Punto from the front?

Nissan March (New Micra). Have these arrived in Britain yet? I hadn't seen any when we left in November.

P1230007.jpg

While we were filling up with LPG:

P1230002.jpg

P1230003.jpg

P1230004.jpg

P1230006.jpg

Another town; another variety of public transport.

P1230191.jpg

P1230197.jpg

P1230195.jpg

P1230199.jpg

And we arrived in riverside Chiang Khan. 'Real' retro, this place, with wooden shop-houses along the main street.

P1230202.jpg

Just waiting for some tat to park here, but worth the shot nonetheless.

P1230203.jpg

P1230204.jpg

P1230201.jpg

I noticed more than the usual quota of these Mazdas in Loei, but this was the only four-door.

P1230200.jpg

P1230216.jpg

Catch of the Day!

P1230215.jpg

The only Vauxhall OF EVAR spotted in Thailand!

P1230221.jpg

What's going on here?

P1230222.jpg

^Check out the 'zorst!

P1230219.jpg

:)

Bet that FD wagon came as a shock!! 8) When I was in Thailand for 3 weeks in 2008 I was surprised to see two Luton products, a 4 door HB Viva in metallic red on modern alloys in Bangkok and a metallic green FD saloon with a vinyl roof pulling into a service station on the way to Pattaya, no photos sadly. :(

• 3 weeks later...
Bet that FD wagon came as a shock!! 8) When I was in Thailand for 3 weeks in 2008 I was surprised to see two Luton products, a 4 door HB Viva in metallic red on modern alloys in Bangkok and a metallic green FD saloon...

The Victor was a shock!

Now you mention it, I have seen something that was identified as a Viva HB, but I assumed it would be the Opel equivalent, if there was such a thing? This one, spotted in Tesco's car park, Chiang Mai, featured early on in the thread.

P1030674.jpg

P1030678.jpg

Here's another angle of the Victor as it went down well:

P1230217.jpg

Was there a Holden version of the FD? That might have been more likely...

There's a few Holdens about, I have a 'beauty' to share in a few days!

Yes, the new Micra is now available in Britain. :)

Nissan certainly seem to be doing better than Ford at breaking back into the Thai 'small' car market. Both are fresh on the scene in the last year.

"Chevrolet" have done ok with these, too:

P1230186.jpg

A few from the temple grounds where we parked the car overnight in Chiang Khan.

P1230304.jpg

I have a thing for chod in old fashioned settings.

P1230302.jpg

P1230303.jpg

P1230300.jpg

P1230299.jpg

These KB trucks are worming their way into my heart with their super clean, under-styled lines.

P1230282.jpg

^Not a lot wrong with that, is there?

Today’s update comes as we set off down the side of the Mekong from Chiang Khan to Nong Khai

P1230310.jpg

I wonder why this truck chose to cross here... maybe something to hide?

The road was shockingly bad: thinly surfaced and potholed, so we crawled along, enjoying the scenery.

P1230305.jpg

P1230309.jpg

This part of the country has its own style of 'tractor'. Some of these have motorbike wheels on the front!

I enjoyed the way the headlight illuminates the drivers arse. However, they are less compromised than the more usual rigs that are much longer with similar engine/transmission units dragging them along. Can't find a picture just now. Here are someone elses:

1245.jpg

They are slightly converted cultivators:

seinnyaungso6_b.jpg

Sometimes they are prepared for the road by simply pushing old lorry tyres over the ironwork! I'll take some of my own pictures one day.

P1230319.jpg

Slightly altered...

P1230316.jpg

P1230320.jpg

LWB SJ thing, Pontiac Sumthinoruther, 505 with unusual back lights(?) and imported RAV4.

Nong Khai is just across the river bridge from Vientiane, the Laotian capital.

We found it in the unseasonal drizzle.

P1230321.jpg

P1230323.jpg

Beaded seat covers, 390B = £8, on the market, so open to offers.

After I trudged around there with Mrs KJ, I went out for a wonder on my own.

P1230345.jpg

P1230343.jpg

P1230338.jpg

P1230339.jpg

P1230337.jpg

Yet another form of tuk tuk. The North-East is mercifully free of the noisy, smokey two stroke death traps that plague Chiang Mai.

P1230335.jpg

These seem to be based on the back half of a HiJet chassis. Take no notice of the stickerage on this one: some belong on a Hilux, others on a Mazda Famila as pictured above with the Corona.

P1230333.jpg

P1230347.jpg

As bad light stopped play, I spotted today's Catch of the Day:

P1230351.jpg

It's a rotary chicken roaster that (appears to be) cranked around by the cock on the end. The electric motor powers him and the bike chains that run in channels, turning the sprockets on the spits. There are hot charcoals in the tough beneath.

The whole lot appeared on the pavement while I was out spying, and disappeared again during the night!

More again soon.

Right then you lot, this batch is from the next day's driving from Nong Khai to Nakorn Pranom. We went around in circles a few times as we tried to find the road to continue east parallel to the river, it seemed like an unpopular route - "why would anyone want to go further east than here?"

P1230368.jpg

I saw a few Laotian oddities in Nong Khai, including a few of these droopy-faced Hyundai MPV/minibus things. Also what looked like a Mk9 Corolla saloon with a rear end reminiscent of a Focus saloon/Ford Laser.

I turned the camera on because I thought these were gas bottles stacked on top of this load...

P1230359.jpg

...but I think they were bundles of plastic buckets. But now I know it IS possible to achieve several degrees of negative camber on a Vigo!

That's the Thai end of the Laos bridge we are about to go under.

Before we escaped the city...

P1230365.jpg

Gotta be Catch of the Day!

P1230366.jpg

I overtook it and pulled in, then jumped out to pap it as it passed!

P1230363.jpg

I make that a Toyota Crown Royal Touring (S40 / Mk2) off of the mid 60's.

P1230364.jpg

What a glorious thing to see.

It probably changed hands recently, it has the LPG sticker to bring it up to regulation for the transfer office.

Its a long way from home - registered in Pathum Thani, way down near BKK. That is touring in style; so jealous. I hope it has the two speed Toyoglide transmission!

Once we broke out of town, we saw literally NO normal cars for literally HOURS. Only a few pick-ups and commercials, step-thru bikes and the odd tractor. The far north-east of the North-East is erm... agricultural.

Then, as we approached Nakorn Pranom...

P1230369.jpg

BACK OF THE NET!

P1230374.jpg

This dusty roadside body shop must have the monopoly.

P1230372.jpg

Hard as nails, that. Just needs the grille sorting, and ready to roll. I would.

P1230386.jpg

This was behind the reception desk of the old Chinese-Thai-run hotel in town. Seemingly still in use, the old telephone switchboard. I thought someone might enjoy it.

Spottings wise, Nakorn Pranom town was as dull as the long drive to it.

P1230394.jpg

These Isuzu minibuses are not uncommon, but this one contrasts nicely yesterday's abandoned one.

P1230423.jpg

P1230392.jpg

This slogan intrigued me, but judging by what we can see of the slogan on the hat "People [who] love [their] country...", the owner of the car might be a supporter of the "Red Shirt" protesters in Bangkok.

P1230393.jpg

P1230396.jpg

Nakorn Pranom has a riverside promenade with great views. Those are the limestone karst hills of Laos in the distance.

Finally, @ X6 drivers: Stick this in your pipe and smoke it. Ha!

P1230399.jpg

Carryboy FTW. Or not.

• 1 month later...

first of all, a big slobbery hello from Xiao Hei, a Cambodian stray dog who has been adopted as the Ag Team mascot.

IMG00084-20110309-0754.jpg

Just driven back to Phnom Penh and took a long detour through the rush hour traffic to check this what what I thought it was. It was.

IMG00099-20110310-1509.jpg

IMG00103-20110310-1518.jpg

Bodywork almost perfect, the undercarriage obviously a result of several years of Cambodian bodgery. Don't let the badge fool you - this was a diesel. In the passenger seat was a foreigner (to these parts) wafting around like an old colonial should.

Here's a paintjob many of you would be proud of

IMG00104-20110310-1520.jpg

Probably a Norwich supporter.

Finally, I saw a car that I never knew existed until today. I thought it was a cut n' shut bodge job, but I saw another a few minutes later. Couldn't get a pic, but (and the web confirms) it was a second gen Camry coupe. Saw a home-made Honda Prelude pick-up as well, but it was going too fast the other way to capture.

First generation Camry:

800px-1982_Toyota_Camry_01.jpg

Second generation Camry:

1989.jpg

But to be exact, the very first car which had the name Camry was the Celica Camry, a sporty model of the late-70s Toyota Carina:

b0065730_20534188.jpg?w=600&h=400

Not that easy, I know! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t been ignoring this thread, but I’ve had plenty on. My posts here seem to take ages, and I’ve been back in the UK working seven days, including some 20 hour stints, the Corsa has made way for the R8 214, and the BX14 is now edging out the latest Impreza. Yada yada. Improved interweb speed helps no end too.

My turn to be Mr Krujoe

Thank you CT for your contributions! Cambodian streets look very much like Thailand, but LHD!

The last batch are obviously Thai, maybe in a Tesco car park?

IMG00122-20110321-0958.jpg

My first guess is that that was a Corolla coupe as on page 20 :

P1050069.jpg

But H was bob on as always:

Looks like a heavily-modified Mazda 929/Luce (MK1).

P1090052.JPG

P1210351.jpg

Aren't they lovely looking machines?

Right, where were we?

Nakorn Pranom, beside the Mekong on the north-east edge of Thailand's North-East. An early start to the day.

P1230424.jpg

NO refreshments available in the 'hotel', so back to the promenade for brekkies. Mobile kiosk ^ for traditional coffee and tea.

P1230428.jpg

Also an a roadtrip from Bangkok. It's good to see an estate.

P1230426.jpg

A few more as we head out of town...

P1230431.jpg

P1230436.jpg

P1230435.jpg

P1230434.jpg

This morning, we went about 50km south to That Pranom, a town surrounding a huge temple complex that is a major Buddhist pilgrimage site.

This glorious old Toyota Stout was just inside the gates.

P1230462.jpg

P1230460.jpg

P1230459.jpg

It was pipped to the post of Catch of the Day by this:

P1230440.jpg

Holden Commodore. Why, you ask...

P1230442.jpg

Wait for it...

P1230437.jpg

BOOM!

P1230438.jpg

Gotcha. Yes, those ARE Hilux Vigo headlights.

Time to calm down with a wander around the temple.

An amusing and unusual anti-capitalist(?) mural/relief:

P1230457.jpg

Also a monk in socks is unusual.

P1230458.jpg

As is a monk with a dressed up, over-affectionate miniature poodle lap dog.

We left the temple for the riverside market, where Laotians come to sell their wares. This one clobbered my legs with her baskets as she meandered past.

P1230464.jpg

And this old dear mumbled as she chewed on her betel. (Spittoon to the left.)

P1230466.jpg

Next to her herbs for sale are bundles of sap-rich sticks, which are used to light charcoal for cooking.

Back in the car...

P1230467.jpg

A lovely Pogweasel Pink Corona on Lancer Mk2 wheels.

P1230468.jpg

As we finally headed away from the river and That Pranom, we passed this pilgrimage column of monks (and nuns in white). It was LIDDERALLEE miles long. Most were bare footed and sun-blackened.

P1230469.jpg

At this point, heading back west, we had the choice of routes: either slightly north to stop in Udon Tani, or a bit south for Khon Kaen in the centre of the North-East. Both are provincial capitals with not much going on, but reading about their histories, I decided upon Udon Tani because there had been a big US air base there during and after WW2, so I hoped for plenty of old Yankee chod in the vicinity. I put my foot down so I'd have time for a good walk around town.

P1230475.jpg

These big old open cabbed trucks are all over Thailand's highways.

P1230473.jpg

They're slow, smokey and very loud.

P1230470.jpg

One doesn't often see them in towns, or parked up (on the road 24/7), so I'm glad I got these for you.

P1230474.jpg

This tipper was listing nicely. Just visible are the huge rivets holding the cab together.

P1230481.jpg

Behind a filling station:

P1230479.jpg

P1230477.jpg

P1230476.jpg

And as we enter Udon Tani:

P1230482.jpg

That's enough for now, I'll save the evening's spottings for another day. Sooner rather than later, I promise. :)

Nakorn Pranom? I was just down the road from you in Mukdahan. The lads had popped into a superstore (not Tescos) for some provisions before we crossed the Friendship II bridge into Savannakhet. I'll be there (Laos) for 10 days every month for the next year and we use the Ubon airport if we go from BKK. Maybe bump into you one of these days.

Nakorn Pranom? I was just down the road from you in Mukdahan. ...Maybe bump into you one of these days.

I did bear you in mind, but at the time (second week of Jan) you weren't in the area. We didn't quite go as far down the river as Mukdahan. We thought we'd gone far enough be the time we'd seen That Pranom - time to beat a path back home to Chiang Mai in the North (West).

We'll be back in Thailand at the end of the year. AirAsia FTW! *makes mental note: must purchase tickets*

@ Michiel:

I thought of you when I was sitting in traffic, thought you'd enjoy the Leone Coupe! I think that was an Mi16 in front, but the lights changed so no image.

Right, on with the early evening wander around Udon Tani.

What a beauty to start with:

P1230486.jpg

^ A monk had been wheeled out for some cool evening air.

This was piloted by a lady of at least 70 :)

P1230487.jpg

Hyundai H-100. Perhaps another version of the more common Kia Jumbo?

P1230517.jpg

Also rather modern, but these must be increasingly scarce in the UK already.

P1230484.jpg

This white one is often parked under our apartment building in ChMai...

P1230885.jpg

Sporting comedicly sun-faded headlights.

P1230884.jpg

It gets better. These Accords are in danger of becoming SRSLY COOL.

P1230488.jpg

A typical local bus.

P1230489.jpg

Rural Thailand is dominated by pick-up trucks, even in the provincial capital towns like Udon.

P1230493.jpg

This line-up was punctuated only by one other:

P1230491.jpg

Cutting through the pleasant town centre park...

P1230495.jpg

P1230499.jpg

P1230502.jpg

P1230504.jpg

P1230507.jpg

Both matt black :?

P1230509.jpg

Why would you do that? The Jazz hasn't even been issued it's permanent plates yet. There's a brand new matt black Benz C-class slinking around Chiang Mai, too.

Two cars down, a 'Persona' saloon. Do/did they sell a four door Gen2 in the UK?

P1230510.jpg

Also with a Toyota Soluna neighbour, a Sunny Super Saloon.

P1230511.jpg

As the light fades, my Catch of the Day:

P1230513.jpg

Ha! Just noticed: four generations of Souluna Vios in as many pictures. CASHBACK!

P1230515.jpg

How clean is that? Fantastic.

P1230516.jpg

So, not even a sniff of a Yank Tank for you after all.

Never mind, I can usually find something worth papping. L8RZ!

• 1 month later...

Bump for a real thread.

P1230521.jpg

I think we have a Datsun Fairlady Sports!

P1230519.jpg

Back in the game!

P1230522.jpg

Today I bring you offerings from the final mega day of our mega North-East Thailand roadtrip. 770km and 13-ish hours back to Chiang Mai from Udon Thani on far from perfect roads. What fun!

Or not; it was a bit of a slog to say the least. It should have been three day's travelling, but we were ready for home.

Making such good ground out of Isaan, over the hills and back into the North, there was little slowing down for shite spotting.

But have a few more trucks 'caning' it:

P1230532.jpg

P1230530.jpg

P1230527.jpg

P1230524.jpg

On our Isaan trip, we've witnessed some 'unusual' behavior by Buddhist monks...

P1230537.jpg

This guy was having his Corona LPG'd up.

Catch of the Day:

P1230539.jpg

But WTF? Can you tell what it is yet?

P1230526.jpg

Am I the only one fascinated by the patterns of crap on the side of cars?

Probably.

Last daylight shots of the trip.

P1230525.jpg

The old girl is ready for another valet. And well deserved it is too. She did well.

More from Chiang Mai when I feel so inclined.

G'night!

Well the WTF is screaming Mk3 Astra Saloon - cover up the right hand side of the picture and it could have been taken in Basingstoke in 1996.

It's wearing what appear to be the same trimz that an LS had, but with an Opel badge so I'm guessing it's not a knockoff.

But that back end.....?

Guest Leonard Hatred

What a baffling machine. I've been interrogating Google but all it comes up with are modern Chinese Buicks based on more recent Astras.

• 4 months later...

Another five-month-bump... (What can I say, it has been a busy summer!)

Just this week I saw a Gen2 saloon ^ in Skipton bus station, with taxi badges and all LPG'd up! First UK one I've noticed.

Re: the WTFmobileP1230539.jpg

That rear end is oh-so-familiar to me, they have been mentioned a few times in this thread, including this page! I seem to catch them in the background all the time.

The reason I pulled my camera out for this one at the traffic lights, I thought "I never noticed how the flanks of these look so much like a Mk3 Astra." Then I saw the wheel trims, and twigged!

I pulled ahead of it to confirm it WAS an Opel Astra with a Toyota Soluna Vios back end grafted on. VERY well indeed in this case.

Vios re-cap:

P1220576.jpg

P1220587.jpg

Right then folks, back to business. Some more chod from Chiang Mai.

A white BX has been our UK daily for the last six months, and a joy it has been. Not a Mk1 though.

P1200962.jpg

Mk1s are probably more common in Chiang Mai than Mk2s. I say "common"... not really!

The background here was complete luck:

P1200976.jpg

I think the yank tank is a previous spot, but the make and model of them rarely sticks in my mind!

P1200981.jpg

P1200982.jpg

P1200987.jpg

P1200991.jpg

The Datsun Sunny lights strike again:

P1200984.jpg

But I think it's a Mazda 808. Oh look ^ another flippin' Vios.

P1200983.jpg

The owner appeared and drove off, it certainly didn't sound like an RX-3!

Almost time for bed. Catch of the day?

Go on then:

P1210863.jpg

A long distance shot, but still rather special. Would it be a home-brew job or not?