Oriental Offerings - Reincarnated

KruJoe

Weird that that early Commer style van is called Dodge - over here only the final generation were Dodges like the one wuvvums just bought. I thought Commer & Dodge were not one of the same, I thought Dodge came on the scene (in Europe anyway) after Commer was dead & buried?

What can I say, this thread DELIVERS.Thank you and keep posting!Wonder how much they want for those Compagnos..... must add one of those to the Daihatsu tat fleet, preferably the Berlina Wagon for extra shite kudos.

Mr Rimto said:

They like baked bean can exhausts where you are don't they!

Yep. The bean tins, the crappy faux aluminium roofracks, and the superfluous jumbo aerials.

Check this out:

Posted Image

Sorry, I missed the questionable mud-flaps and the fake HKS sticker.

The full monty. PIMPED TO THE MAX. Apparently.

A few more fords:

Posted Image

^ HELP! Laser? Is it another Aussie Mazda?

Strawberries and cream:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My favouritest:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yum :P

Sandwich time:

Posted Image

^ Hey, Michiel! What's the filling in t' middle?

It looks a bit like your heart-stopping Mazda 800 Familia, (v) but I think it is something different.

Posted Image

Would it look like this at the front?

Posted Image

Enlighten me please, I'm not yet up on cars older than me.

I really ought to get off the bike and have a closer look at these motors I'm not familiar with,

but usually I just click and go because people clock me (a foreigner) when I stop in an inappropriate place with a camera.

Time for something different.

Where were we on about early BXs?

Look what I found:

Posted Image

Posted Image

^ Shiny shite, shonky shot. It's not easy to shoot shiny cars half in this bright sunshine, half in shadow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

My favourite "Catch of the Day" so far:

Posted Image

Posted Image

How's about that then, boys and girls?

(Jingle jangle)

KJ

Edited to repair Photobox links.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

Any more silly slogans? They are wonderful.

I recall the Japanese-spec Carina ED was available in an "Exciting Version", with a sticker to prove it. Probably meant you got more cupholders.

I recall the Japanese-spec Carina ED was available in an "Exciting Version",
While I'm uploading, pleasure yourself with this selection of Engrish from East Asia:http://www.engrish.com/category_index.php?category=Cars(Includes said Toyota)I'm trying to gather a few more, myself... :D

'

Hirst said:

What can I say, this thread DELIVERS.

Thanks so much. It means a lot!

Thank you and keep posting!

I will. Still waiting for today's to upload.

Wonder how much they want for those Compagnos..... must add one of those to the Daihatsu tat fleet, preferably the Berlina Wagon for extra shite kudos.

Dunno, there are not many about, and all I've seen are less than well preserved. But they hold little or no classic value, and are probably just seen as a cheap way to get onto four wheels. Their owners are more than likely laughed at by drivers of bigger / newer cars.

If you could find one for sale, I reckon 50,000 Baht (700 pounds) would get one in average nick, up to 150 K (2000+quid) for a nice-looking one, and still no guarantee of its state underneath. Very little chance of being 100% original, too.

Like I said, shite is not cheap here. Little is thrown away, and everything has a value.

So, if you were considering taking one back, it would likely cost you thousands before you got it out of the country.

Then shipping, export/import taxes, shipping, storage, transport to ports, parts needed, (SVA test?), MOT...owt else?

But we can dream, eh?

You never know what ebay's gonna throw up next, do you? Just maybe...

Hirst , I just read the 18 pages of your Charmant thread on RR.

As you said, you never thought you'd have one of those for yourself.

Great thread, great little motor. I like what you're doing with it.

On Friday, I nearly called that R19 Charmade a "Charmant"! :oops:

Lucky I got that right :roll:

Mr_Bo11ox said:

Yep, more on the way soon I hope. Bumper stickers and motorbikes seem to be rich veins here.

The ones on Engrish.com (link above) are mostly from Japan, but the Chinese and Thais are just as bad (good). I'm sure ChinaTom will vouch for that!

^ "A MAN IN DANDISM" ^ :lol: I love it!

Posted Image

Mr_Bo11ox said:

What on earth is that! And why does it say 'I AM SEX' behind it!!!!

I hoped someone would spot that gem... I should have known it would be you, Mr B. A man with a discerning eye for detail!

fordpoplier said:

The yanks got them as the Ford Aspire, but I think they are really a Kia.

Yes, same in Thailand. Loads here. I saw one with the bonnet up - looked like no Ford engine I know - looked "Asian" to me.

Posted Image

Mr_Bo11ox said:

Whatever they are, they look unbelievably shit! rear door skins look very 'Kia Pride'.

Posted Image

Yeah, they do look really frumpy and thrown together completely devoid of any passion for automotive products.

Maybe Ford / Kia had the same thing going on with the doors as BL with the Landcrab, Maxi etc!

Edit: Just noticed that one ^ has a 'YONTRAKIT' badge. Those are stuck on the back of many 80s and early 90s cars here, models that are slightly outside the mainstream, eg Peugeots, BMW E30s, VWs etc. Yontrakit still build them locally from 'Knock Down Kits' to avoid import taxes. Their website now offers three marques: Audi, Kia and Mitsuoka :lol:

http://www.yontrakitcorp.com/Mitsuoka.aspx

We got the "Ford Festiva" here, too, just a re-badged Kia Pride. Sorry, no pics yet. What were they called in the US, Mr FordPop?

michiel said:

...the other two are Fiats, either 1300 or 1500 depending on the engine.

Thanks for that, Michiel. This one is in an Aspire Sandwich:

Posted Image

743,259 points for the Crown pickup!

I'm almost a millionaire already!

It's lovely, isn't it? I often see it parked up in the same place behind a market. It's not taxed (not much is around here) but it always looks cared for, and pretty original, which is nice.

So while we're on with Crowns, I'll treat you to an early "Catch of the Day".

*Lovely%20poo%20brown%20Toyota*

Well I would, but my photobox account seems to have ground to a halt again, :evil: and the Mrs is telling me to get to bed. (I've to be up at 6am to go sign in at the school.)

We're now 7 hrs ahead of you, I hope you all enjoyed your extra hour in bed / the pub last night.

Which online photo accounts would you recommend?

Maybe I'll switch, but my connection is pants, anyway.

All being well, more shite coming your way tomorrow.

G'night.

KJ

Glad you like the Charmant! As a fan of both Daihatsu and "shite", it was one of my dream cars. Luckily the Toyota mechanicals mean it isn't too much of a pain to live with, but trim bits are scarce.The Compagno is something which will remain out of my reach I think, I do recall there was an Estate for sale a few years back on eBay as a resto project, had a decent amount of interest as I recall. Bit disappointed to have not heard from it since, I imagine what has happened is that they got it, realised the parts supply doesn't exist and have left it in a shed. Oh well.

'

Hirst said:

What can I say, this thread DELIVERS.

Thanks so much. It means a lot!

Thank you and keep posting!

I will. Still waiting for today's to upload.

Wonder how much they want for those Compagnos..... must add one of those to the Daihatsu tat fleet, preferably the Berlina Wagon for extra shite kudos.

Dunno, there are not many about, and all I've seen are less than well preserved. But they hold little or no classic value, and are probably just seen as a cheap way to get onto four wheels. Their owners are more than likely laughed at by drivers of bigger / newer cars.

If you could find one for sale, I reckon 50,000 Baht (700 pounds) would get one in average nick, up to 150 K (2000+quid) for a nice-looking one, and still no guarantee of its state underneath. Very little chance of being 100% original, too.

Like I said, shite is not cheap here. Little is thrown away, and everything has a value.

So, if you were considering taking one back, it would likely cost you thousands before you got it out of the country.

Then shipping, export/import taxes, shipping, storage, transport to ports, parts needed, (SVA test?), MOT...owt else?

But we can dream, eh?

You never know what ebay's gonna throw up next, do you? Just maybe...

Hirst , I just read the 18 pages of your Charmant thread on RR.

As you said, you never thought you'd have one of those for yourself.

Great thread, great little motor. I like what you're doing with it.

On Friday, I nearly called that R19 Charmade a "Charmant"! :oops:

Lucky I got that right :roll:

Mr_Bo11ox said:

Yep, more on the way soon I hope. Bumper stickers and motorbikes seem to be rich veins here.

The ones on Engrish.com (link above) are mostly from Japan, but the Chinese and Thais are just as bad (good). I'm sure ChinaTom will vouch for that!

^ "A MAN IN DANDISM" ^ :lol: I love it!

Posted Image

Mr_Bo11ox said:

I hoped someone would spot that gem... I should have known it would be you, Mr B. A man with a discerning eye for detail!

fordpoplier said:

The yanks got them as the Ford Aspire, but I think they are really a Kia.

Yes, same in Thailand. Loads here. I saw one with the bonnet up - looked like no Ford engine I know - looked "Asian" to me.

Posted Image

Mr_Bo11ox said:

Whatever they are, they look unbelievably shit! rear door skins look very 'Kia Pride'.

Yeah, they do look really frumpy and thrown together completely devoid of any passion for automotive products.

Maybe Ford / Kia had the same thing going on with the doors as BL with the Landcrab, Maxi etc!

We got the "Ford Festiva" here, too, just a re-badged Kia Pride. Sorry, no pics yet. What were they called in the US, Mr FordPop?

michiel said:

...the other two are Fiats, either 1300 or 1500 depending on the engine.

Thanks for that, Michiel. This one is in an Aspire Sandwich:

Posted Image

743,259 points for the Crown pickup!

I'm almost a millionaire already!

It's lovely, isn't it? I often see it parked up in the same place behind a market. It's not taxed (not much is around here) but it always looks cared for, and pretty original, which is nice.

So while we're on with Crowns, I'll treat you to an early "Catch of the Day".

*Lovely%20poo%20brown%20Toyota*

Well I would, but my photobox account seems to have ground to a halt again, :evil: and the Mrs is telling me to get to bed. (I've to be up at 6am to go sign in at the school.)

We're now 7 hrs ahead of you, I hope you all enjoyed your extra hour in bed / the pub last night.

Which online photo accounts would you recommend?

Maybe I'll switch, but my connection is pants, anyway.

All being well, more shite coming your way tomorrow.

G'night.

KJ

I use http://www.photobucket.com

To quote somebody, like I've I've just done quite simply press "Quote" above their post :wink:

I use http://www.photobucket.com To quote somebody, like I've I've just done quite simply press "Quote" above their post :wink:

I signed up with photobucket but it seems to be even slower than photobox.Are there any more than these two that are worth trying?How do I quote just a line or two of text, instead of the whole post? ^I also want to quote more than one person in a single post.And how can I quote someone else's picture?I did read FAQ- sorry I'm still new to this. :oops: Thanks for the help...KJ

Posted Image

Why does the rear window of a CX always look like it's bowing?
Because it is, it is a design which means if its raining and when the car is moving the aerodynamics keep the rear screen clear, doesn't work when your sat in traffic, or stopped and trying to reverse though :roll:

Now, where were we..?

Posted Image

Oh, yes.

This must be my fave model of Crown (not counting the pick-up).

This one has it all...

The double-decker grille, the mirrors, the spots, the wheel trims,

the aerial, the mudflaps, and the brown.

Full points from me, anyway. (The Crown Jewels :lol::roll::oops: )

I copped an early-Lexus-style Crown today, but I was too slow on the draw.

But here are some older ones in no particular order...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dub-scene alert!

Posted Image

Posted Image

^ Been for sale a long time...

Posted Image

There are a few split-screen busses about but I'm yet to snap one.

Love at first sight:

Posted Image

This one deserves "Catch of the Day" status, I reckon. 8)

Posted Image

^ Sorry for the dusky hues.

This yellow 'bay' was outside the theme pub:

Posted Image

That's where I saw this:

Posted Image

And this:

Posted Image

WTF? :shock:

Cut in half the long way!

Posted Image

Couple more busses:

Posted Image

Posted Image

PATINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Posted Image

And on the same street:

Posted Image

^ This (Liteace?) is advertising a sale of loudspeakers.

A couple of coupes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

^ Is it a Starion? I'd have like to get a shot of the front with it's dual

square headlights (not pop-ups), but it was being guarded by a bunch

of yooves, all as rough-looking as the car. Next time... I know where it

lives.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/KruJoe/Thai%20Shite%2010300/P1030475.jpg

^ This Daewoo was giving little away -- no badges on it's bum.

Old shape "Racer" but again, couldn't see no badges. Are they shy, or what?

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/KruJoe/Thai%20Shite%2010300/P1030424.jpg

These three are badged "Opel":

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/KruJoe/Thai%20Shite%2010300/P1030510.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/KruJoe/Thai%20Shite%2010300/P1030608.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/KruJoe/Thai%20Shite%2010300/P1030500.jpg

^ Oh dear. It has probably cost him a bomb to get those bits imported.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/KruJoe/Thai%20Shite%2010300/P1030513.jpg

^ That "Kadett 1.8i" is the Belmont on our street. Today's the first time I've seen it since our ponderings.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/KruJoe/Thai%20Shite%2010300/P1030234.jpg

All three are quite rare here, but there are more Corsas about (Mk 1 Corsa in UK). Also a few Vectras, Omegas and older Holdens.

The older Isuzu pick-ups in all their guises look like Fronteras to me:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/KruJoe/Thai%20Shite%2010300/P1030625.jpg

They're all GMs. The new Isuzus are called D-Max, and are exported to GB. What are they called there?

If you say "D-Max" in a Thai accent, it means "very good"!

The D-Max has been the biggest selling vehicle in Thailand for the last few years! Thai's love their trucks.

This is a D-Max with a different face/name. Chevrolet Colorado:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/KruJoe/Thai%20Shite%2010300/P1030487.jpg

Finally, a real Chevy.

I had to step back twice to get it all in shot!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/KruJoe/Thai%20Shite%2010300/P1030476.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/KruJoe/Thai%20Shite%2010300/P1030477.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/KruJoe/Thai%20Shite%2010300/P1030478.jpg

That's enough for now, I think.

Hope there was something interesting for you... let me know!

Thanks, more later.

KJoe.

Edited to fix broken links. Avoid Photobox, it’s PANTS.

Posted Image

Yep, of course I did! Well spotted Mr RR.

I wouldn't let that get away unsnapped, but I was keeping it for another day.

Ooww, alright, just this once. Here it is.

Posted Image

I thought the baby BM was rather special, though.

KJ

I use http://www.photobucket.com

To quote somebody, like I've I've just done quite simply press "Quote" above their post :wink:

I signed up with photobucket but it seems to be even slower than photobox.

Are there any more than these two that are worth trying?

There are others but I'm not going to endorse them. I think Imageshack is another common one.

How do I quote just a line or two of text, instead of the whole post? ^

I also want to quote more than one person in a single post.

And how can I quote someone else's picture?

I did read FAQ- sorry I'm still new to this. :oops:

Thanks for the help...

KJ

Well to be honest you can have a bit of a play around & make it do whatever you want really. For instance I can make out that you said

I have strong feelings for Anne Widecombe
which of course I don't think you do (?) :wink:

If you open up a new message then hover the mouse over the buttons above the area where you write your post it will show you how you use them. Basically BB Code works by putting the commands inside square brackets. So to put something in bold you type square bracket open, b, close square bracket, type the text you want to be modified, then square bracket open, forward slash, b, close square bracket.

To quote anybody specific, like what I've done with you it's

I have strong feelings for Anne Widecombe

Switch those boxes around so that the one containing the name is in front of the text to be modified. I've only put them that way so you can see the code, otherwise it would action the code & it wouldn't be visible.

It's simply a case of copying & pasting anything you want to pick up on that someone said then put it in-between the code boxes. Click the quote button above somebody's post then delete anything you don't need, leaving the sentence / paragraph / photo you want to quote.

If you want to quote sections from several posts sometimes it's necessary to paste the quotes into notepad or wordpad so that you can keep them to one side before pasting them into your message leaving you free to keep looking for the bits you want.

Using all the buttons above my new message box I can do the following;

KruJoe KruJoe KruJoe

KruJoe
KruJoe
KruJoe

Thanks very much for that, Regie, I'll keep trying.But it does seem there are no easy shortcuts. Just have to play around.I had a play with flickr.com, but it seemed as tricky as photobucket to upload large numbers of pics. I'll have a look at imageshack later. Photobox is fairly easy to use for me and a large number of pics each day, but their website often freezes for me, and when I post the pictures, they're not much bigger than my cam screen. (I can make them bigger, but they're huge - way over the edges of my comp screen.)I won't give up.Thanks again.Back on topic soon, I hope...KJ :)

Posted Image

We had one of these as a hire car in Malta about 10 years ago......didn't choose it particularly, a car was part of the package and that was it :lol:

It was identical to that one same colour to. Had a ford badge on the steering wheel and Kia badges on the outside. I'd never seen one before and after a week I never wanted to see one again. :evil: Absolute devilspawn....