Oriental Offerings - Reincarnated

KruJoe

Edit, January 2019:

Last year, we all thought that Photobucket had ruined half of the internet. Thankfully, now it seems they have had a re-think (as I thought they might), so most of my spottings from the last 10 or 12 years are still here, albeit with a silly spam mark.

Enjoy.

For the re-birth, including new shite, go to post 739 on page 25.

Original first post, October 2007:

After the best part of a fortnight's holiday enjoying the musings of you lot, I thought some among you might enjoy a peek of what this part of Indo-China has to offer the tat-fan.

A car lover at heart, the only wheels I can logically justify (ie afford) right now are on this little monster:

P1030196.jpg

A 3 year old, locally assembled Honda Dream.
Infinitely versatile, robust, capable and idiot-proof. As rapid as anything needs to be on the roads and tracks of this, the second city. But being confined to two wheels just makes me appreciate much more any old shite with four.

A local plate with the name of the province:

P1030180.jpg

Any idea where I am?

Down to business.

P1030168.jpg

^ These are cheapest way onto 4 wheels for many here. Mazda "Familia" 1.3 or 1.4. Crumbly old tat still sells for more than it should.

Some everyday background shite…
P1030201.jpg

P1030200.jpg

P1030171.jpg

^A gold saloon tells everyone you've arrived!

One for the Renault fans:

P1030176.jpg

Renault pulled out of here long ago, so not many around now.

Is it me, or does this have a face like a Renault? Maybe a phase 2 R5?

P1030181.jpg

P1030179.jpg

^Is it an Aussie-spec 323 clone?
And another...I'd never noticed either of these before, now two in one day!
This one looks like an old 626 fastback:
P1030193.jpg

A rather more cherished 626 from the capital:

P1030192.jpg

P1030183.jpg

An odd couple:

P1030185.jpg

P1030190.jpg

^ RWD Avanza (future shite), FWD Starlet

A few local Nissans:

P1030194.jpg

P1030189.jpg
^ Cefiro

P1030178.jpg

^ NV (Sunny-based pick-up)

P1030187.jpg

^ Sentra (Sunny Super-Saloon)

P1030174.jpg

^ NX (In the UK NX 100, right? And they all had T-bar tops)

This one clocked me with the camera as she passed:

P1030182.jpg

A sketchy tuk-tuk conversion:

P1030166.jpg

These two are a little before my time, still doing their job:

P1030167.jpg

P1030169.jpg

And finally, "Catch of the Day":

P1030170.jpg

That's enough for my very first Autoshite post!
Any feedback greatly appreciated.
If you like, there's plenty more where these came from?

KJ

Thanks so much everyone, for the kind welcomes so far...

Are we in Bangkok?

Right country, wrong city. You're just about 700km out! I'm in the second city, Chiang Mai, in the North.Well done RW.I think I'll get out on the Dream with my camera again tomorrow. I'll have to explain this strange new hobby to the Mrs, though, first! :?:) KJ

"SIMPLY ELEGANT"....Heh heh! :lol:

Good stuff....Love the little Mazda Pick-ups: They look like they're based on the Mazda 1000 that we had over here in about the mid-seventies?

R9 is nice, but my favourite has to be the Peugeot 505....If only for that magnificent rear bumper! :shock:

Cool, eh? And if you look carefully near the 125 sticker, you might see "4 STROKE REVOLUTION" :lol:

Good stuff....Love the little Mazda Pick-ups: They look like they're based on the Mazda 1000 that we had over here in about the mid-seventies?

Thanks Baz. I like 'em too. Seems like they've been making them since forever, until quite recently. They changed little over the years, but the cab grew slightly longer, then the roof got higher at some point. I think the last ones had front disks, 5spd and 1.4 engines.

I'm not familiar with the Maz 1000, but I have seen one or two 4 door saloons with the same nose. I found a pic of one for sale on thaicar.com:

Posted Image

I tried a google, found there were 1000, 1200 and 1300 versions, plus a rotary. 2 and 4 doors, and a 5 dr estate. Looks like Oz + NZ got the little pickup, too.

Not many pics came up, but I thought you might appreciate this from a French site:

Posted Image

Nice.

The Thais usually don't do topless (air-con lovers, and they all like to keep their skin

as white as possible). But look what we found this morning:

Posted Image

:shock:

Obviously an eccentric -- look at his shitetastic house:

Posted Image

R9 is nice, but my favourite has to be the Peugeot 505....If only for that magnificent rear bumper! :shock:

:shock: indeed! I hadn't noticed that monstrosity!

More 505 action later... I snapped one this a.m. out spotting with the good lady wife.

To be continued...

Cool, eh? And if you look carefully near the 125 sticker, you might see "4 STROKE REVOLUTION" :lol:
Glad you elaborated on that one, I thought I had missed something but didn't want to ask. I see them on the bike now!

Posted Image

Nice.

Mmmmm like a foreign Felicity Kendal! :wink:

Glad you elaborated on that one, I thought I had missed something but didn't want to ask. I see them on the bike now!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MrRR, or anyone, please don't be shy, ask away!

If you've visited East Asia, you might have noticed all sorts of random

English thrown together to decorate/market any product. I've been here

over 3 years now, so some of it has become part of the scenery,

but I'll look out for it now, and snap it for your amusement. Some is hilarious! Watch this space.

Here's the Peugeot I promised Baz:

Sorry, sensible bumpers on this one.

Posted Image

^ Nice blue stripes.

Applause hatch pretending to be a sedan:

Posted Image

Cherished garden ornament:

Posted Image

^ looks like it gets let out to play sometimes.

A little less conversation,

a little more pre-breakfast shite-spotting action...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

^ 405 Mi 16 wheels somehow suited this Corolla coupe. I wouldn't have thought they'd fit.

Autoshitetastic front garden fence:

:shock:

Posted Image

On the way home:

Posted Image

"Fill the world with love"

Posted Image

^ I often see this estate on the main road.

If you look carefully, you might see the aftermath of an all too common

step-thru vs car accident (in the background to the left).

A 2-stroke slid under the back of a new Accord. No serious injuries. Bike

wheel bent.

Another smart-looking Accord:

Posted Image

Rather less smart:

Posted Image

^ The back wing was rotting through after a cheapo repair.

Belmont (if that's what they're called here too. Didn't look.)

Posted Image

I reckon the 2-in-1 bumper-grill looks DIY-painted to me, but the fog

lights are original. I don't think we got them in GB, did we??

The Mrs described this Daishatsu van as "lovely":

Posted Image

The view as we had b'fast (rice soup):

Posted Image

"Cat piss tarp challenge"

Posted Image

I'll give you a clue later...

(That is unless any of you fonts of shite-knowledge gets it first :oops: )

As "Raffles" said about his Malta shite, it is like shooting fish in a barrel here.

All these pics (and more) were taken this morning when we went

out for an hour for breakfast.

But why not, it's fun. I'll do it while I can. The weather's good and I'm not

at work this week. So tell me what you like and I'll try and get some

more!

:wink:

Finally, my "Catch of the Day":

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lovely.

Edited to fix stupid Photobox links.

What you doing out there Krudjo? Always interesting to find out about these shite-spotters in far flung climes. We've got Chinese-resident Sugar industry mogul and part-time counterfeit-shite-spotter legend ChinaTom on our boks already and he has given us some great tutorials on fake Jeeps made by hand in rural chinese tin huts. Great pics by the way, keep it up!

ChiangMai eh? Not a million clicks from where I was last week. I was in MengMan, on the southern tip of China - just a bit of Laos and a few dodgy road miles in Thailand between us. There are some great spots around northern Thailand - congrats on the Mirafiori though! That Cefiro is gorgeous - loads of them around China still. We had 2.0 and 2.4's - all 6 pots. Given the roads in these 'ere parts, they must have built them well to survive in the number they do. The QX (Maxima) replacement for them didn't seem to hold up as well mechanically.Working there, or just visiting?

What you doing out there Krudjo? ... Great pics by the way, keep it up!

Thank you Mr BI'm a great fan of your work. :)I like your supershite version of my screen name, I wish I'd thought of that.:lol:"Kru Joe" is the name my students call me. "Kru" is "teacher" in Thai.I've lived here for about three and a half years, and I teach English in a government high school. I think I'll make this coming term my last here, and then I'll move back to Yorkshire with my wife. Looking forward to getting into tat again!

Good update, nice KE26 (I think) and that white estate (Bluebird?) is faboo!Tarp challenge looks like an early Daihatsu or Suzuki pickup?What I like? More of everything, but especially old Kei-stuff.

Thanks, Michiel. Glad you like.No comment on the tarp challenge, yet...keep 'em guessin' :wink: I've snapped plenty of diminutive j-tat, but aren't all kei-cars less than 660cc?I'd never claim to be an expert, though!Keep watching, I'm collecting snaps of Miras with different body-styles. Ill post 'em when I've got a full set.KJ

ChiangMai eh? Not a million clicks from where I was last week. I was in MengMan, on the southern tip of China - just a bit of Laos and a few dodgy road miles in Thailand between us. There are some great spots around northern Thailand - congrats on the Mirafiori though! That Cefiro is gorgeous - loads of them around China still. We had 2.0 and 2.4's - all 6 pots. Given the roads in these 'ere parts, they must have built them well to survive in the number they do. The QX (Maxima) replacement for them didn't seem to hold up as well mechanically.Working there, or just visiting?

Thanks for your musings, CT. Mr B1x talks kindly of your exploits, I'll have to look some up...Still plenty of the Cefiros trundling around town - amazing really, the way the wannabe drift wazzoks rice 'em up and race about.We didn't get any replacement with a QX / Maxima badge on, but we do have a newer gen Cefiro - much less sporty looking- more of a glider. It looks like a big Chinese luxo-barge. Maybe just a re-badged QX? I'll try get some pics.Maybe out with the Lumix-Leica again 2-moz am while it's still cool...KJ

Here's the Peugeot I promised Baz:

Sorry, sensible bumpers on this one.

Posted Image

Lack of comedy bumpers more than compensated for by comedy stripeage on this one....Splendid stuff!....Always fascinating to see tat from around the world - Especially as I rarely get outta Shite-starved East Anglia! :(

What are the laws regarding bikes out there? I'm assuming helmets are still optional?

That being the case, and given the climate there, I think "Simply Elegant" would be my preferred method of conveyance! :D

Next-gen Cefiro was just a rebadged QX and hence went FWD, whereas the A31 model like you saw evolved from the R32 Skyline/C33 Laurel gene pool I believe, think they usually have RB-series straight-six engines hence their popularity in drifting circles (ho ho). The only RWD Cefiro I’ve seen here in recent years belonged to a drift-twerp who came to look at the RWD starlet I had for sale (fortunately he didn’t buy it).

Posted Image

I would wreck that chick.

Except for she's probably like sixty now and those t*ts would be brushing her lap.

Posted Image

I reckon the 2-in-1 bumper-grill looks DIY-painted to me, but the fogs

lights are original. I don't think we got them in GB, did we??

The Belmont GLSi may have been fitted with these as standard, but I'm struggling to find a pic that proves the point. There's a 1987 Vauxhall range brochure in the attic somewhere....

My '87 Belamonte GLSi had none of this foglight biznizz, went like sh*t off a shovel mind. I believe the badging will probably be 'Daewoo LSi' if you can get close enough to the boot to see - certainly was on all the ones in Oz. My wife got very worried when I saw one after a few beers, got down and started carressing a rust-free rear wheelarch...

Belmonts built by Daewoo were known as the Racer in Asian markets. They were facelifted to become the Nexia we all know and love. Many have front fogs here, and they ALL look like they were tacked on by the same Halfords mechanic.I once ventured down as far as Chiang Rai, but never made it to the city. Amazing how the vehicles changed between Yunnan, Laos and Thailand. Small distance - massive difference.How are you getting on with the Thai language - you must be picking it up after so much time. All I can do is Tham Ha for a packet of cigs. Wifey can speak it as she is Zhuang minority - the historical far reaches of the Kingdom of Siam, now GuangXi Province, China. Beautiful place, northern Thailand. Maybe you can bring that Mirafiori back??