Special Offer!

pompei

If I pay another £50 could I have the 999cc 16v Brazilian market only engine, two wheelnuts removed from each wheel (be fine with just 2 on) and the wipers disconnected and glued in place - I can always pull over if it starts to rain heavily.

You can - but if you're willing to splash another £20 on top of that, I can arrange for the wheels to just be permanently welded on.Also the engine is built only to accept Mexico-grade alcohol based fuel. If you put normal petrol in it will explode, sending the bonnet flying off (unless you pay another £10 for that to be welded shut).

its a good job other car makers are perfect and haven't produced any flops or bad cars as you would have no other makers to slag off.at least fiat are not in the ford and gm position,with car sales falling, and losses over $1 billion each last year.while fiats revenue went up 24.1 %wonder how long it will be before toyota takes gm over .blue jeans,you do a lot of slagging fiats off,mine in particular,what cars do you have?

There were plenty of medium / family sized saloons, hatches & estates from Fiat around in the 70s/80s with the 131 & the Strada, they sold pretty well world wide esp the 131 in all it's guises. They just didn't have much longevity. I suppose the difference these days is that people expect more from their cars whereas back in the 70s rust & unreliability were the order of the day with most manufacturers. So now the only Fiats bought in any number are the diddy ones as people still believe in those offerings. Not too long ago I really did have my heart set on a Fiat Stilo 2.4 Abarth 3 door in Broom yellow. At the time they were too expensive though so I got my older Alfa instead. Interestingly though they're rated the same insurance wise despite the Fiat being half a litre bigger.

its a good job other car makers are perfect and haven't produced any flops or bad cars as you would have no other makers to slag off.

at least fiat are not in the ford and gm position,with car sales falling, and losses over $1 billion each last year.while fiats revenue went up 24.1 %

wonder how long it will be before toyota takes gm over .

blue jeans,you do a lot of slagging fiats off,mine in particular,what cars do you have?

Oh take it easy, will ya?

This is the one forum I know of where people can have a laugh about how shit their choice of car (and everybody else's) is. I like it cos there's no anal one-upmanship like there seems to be on every other car-related forum.

I mean the clue's in the name - Autoshite.

Don't take the Fiat-piss-taking personally. It's all in good fun.

Anyway, I think it's Citroen's turn next week. 8)

I think everyone is in agreement that Fiat make cracking small cars. Unfortunately their medium-sized and large cars are not as competitive, and therefore we are questioning the logic of Fiat management in carrying on producing stuff like the Croma, more than anything else. Also, Fiat does suffer in the UK from a poor dealer network - most of them just don't seem to care, usually because they have at least one other franchise so can't dedicate their time to customer service. Mind you, other marques suffer just as badly here - Alfa Romeo being one, Saab being another. Even Skoda's dealership network is going downhill (I speak from experience here), the top-notch family-run small dealerships are going to the wall and being replaced by faceless subsidiaries of the big boys.

Posted Image

On Ebay, classified ad £6361 (strange price). That's walloping depreciation for a 3 year old car/19k miles.

Fiat have long suffered from a reputation for below-average build quality and product longevity, in the UK at least, borne out by the numbers still on the road - compare how many G to N-reg Peugeot 205s are still around with the same age of Uno for example.

That said it really does sound like they've turned the corner with the new Panda, haven't heard anybody with a bad word to say about it yet.

I have not found Fiats to be any more problematic than any other make in my 5 years as a used car dealer. You get head gaskets going at strange mileages on Puntos, but you get the same with Astras and, like Astras, it`s an easy fix, some head gasket jobs are awful but puntos are always straight forward, and that`s what makes the difference. Tipos were especially bullet proof, although I rarely get them now. Puntos and Bravos/Bravas tend to come back from MOT with very short fail sheets, any problems I have had with Fiats are easily matched by other makes that conventional wisdom would have us believe never go wrong.I don`t remember the original Croma being particularily scarce when new and I can remeber 10 year old plus examples being not that uncommon a sight.I can sort of see what fiatdaft is saying, we all accept that the cars we like are unpopular old rammle when we sign up here, but I`m seeing a lot of perfectly acceptable cars being heavily slated with people going over the top about how terribly, terribly awful they were and while I don`t find it remotely offensive in any way it does remind me of those awful top ten worst.... lists that get churned out by MSN on a half-hourly basis.

A mate of mine's late fatha had a early Croma (turbo IIRC) which was like sh!t off a stick. My mate is (and fatha was) car and Fiat in particular fanatics, so it was particularly well cherished, and as far as I remember it never gave any grief.

Iyou get the same with Astras and, like Astras, it`s an easy fix,

My g/f's MkIII Astra had a kippered HG & she got rid of it shortly after getting it fixed because apparently cars are 'never quite the same' once the HG has gone for a burton, even after repair. Any truth in that? :?

I guess on the subject of headgaskets there could be underlying wear and tear from the engine seriously overheating, piston ring failure etc. Having the head skimmed is pretty much par-de-cours with replacement, this can, depending on how warped it is, slightly increase your compression ratio, but generally not by a noticable amount.And as Fiat daft says, if the jobs done properly there should be no reason why you would have problems after.

Iyou get the same with Astras and, like Astras, it`s an easy fix,

My g/f's MkIII Astra had a kippered HG & she got rid of it shortly after getting it fixed because apparently cars are 'never quite the same' once the HG has gone for a burton, even after repair. Any truth in that? :?
Not really, "never quite the same" couldn`t really apply, you either get cars that - assuming in all cases that the job is done properly - are in rude health afterwards and if anything seem a little bit more lively than before, or, with certain engines, the head gasket replacement is followed by a cascade of problems that result in the death of the engine or the whole car e.g. the good old K-series, where you replace the gasket, then 30 miles later the car is overheating again, or running rough because the liners have gone, or the block has cracked, so you`ll never really get "never quite the same", you`ll either get "never better" or "fucked".Engines like the 1108 and 1242cc Fiat and Vauxhall 8 valve units are invariably in the former category.

I can sort of see what fiatdaft is saying, we all accept that the cars we like are unpopular old rammle when we sign up here, but I`m seeing a lot of perfectly acceptable cars being heavily slated with people going over the top about how terribly, terribly awful they were and while I don`t find it remotely offensive in any way it does remind me of those awful top ten worst.... lists that get churned out by MSN on a half-hourly basis.

Yes, but when does it become acceptable to slag any make or model off and who says any particular car is shite?

If everyone took everything personally there'd be no point in Autoshite. I could list God knows how many supposedly good cars that are, in my experience, utter shite and I don't care how people, or how many people rave about them, come to that.

Do we have to live in fear of being jumped on if we say something is crap? I hope not and, for the record, I'm fully aware Vauxhall churned a few shitters out in their time (including and especially the Chevette!) but so fucking what? Take the piss out of them or any of my cars, I have to confess I thought that was partly what Autoshite was about? I can always defend my choice of motors if I like but don't see the point of feeling perscuted if people reckon they're crap.

I'm going to risk a flaming/toys out of the pram moment here but as regards Fiats small cars being good I can only say whoever thinks that didn't ever have to suffer the indignity of having to travel round in the old 126. What an absolute pile of shite that was, ditto the most stupidly named car ever, the Fiat Panda Comfort. As comfortable as sitting on a frozen breeze block in a car with solid tyres and no suspension going over a ploughed field.

BUT...Fiat are NOT the only ones who made shit cars.

after owning a 82 lancer turbo and 2 corolla gt coupe's my every day car owning days have been only reliable and not exciting, my 2 latest cars are a 97 carina e cdi to the current corolla t2 for the wife as i have a company van, my imps and my 100a are my toys (9 imps :shock)the point is that i work on other peoples cars all the time and you do see a lot of dross. i have reacently done cambelts on a pair of punto's -3/4 of an hour each, head gasket and some mot work on another and was easy to work on and fairly light work for mot, the real shite i have had to work on lately are :- ford ka and fiesta - vauxhall astra and vectra -suzuki wagon r -rover 2+4 - landrover discovery - bmw 318 +320 while some people might have good things to say about these cars i think that sometimes it is down to how the owners treat their cars but the ka is total S.H.I.T.E small fiat's are are not that bad there is a lot worse out there.

it matters to me when some faceless twat hiding behind a pc moniter (not u cavette) starts trying to give you a bit of grief ,basiccly saying its all i can afford and he feels sorry for me !all i was doing was standing up for myself,if i had been spoken to like that in person,it would be a different story. the post i am refering to ."Aye Laddie. I can just picture your humour filled existence as ye bash away at your keyboard! You own a Tipo eh? My condolences! That's probably your pride and joy as well as the limit of your car owning horizons. I can imagine you mopping your fevered brow as you scan a Fiat parts catalogue every night over a cup of Horlicks, box of Kleenex at the ready. "so once and for all can we knock this on the head and go back to the open ,welcoming all makes and tastes forum that i signed up to?

only if it hasn't been repaired properly.

a bit like your keyboard. the one without a caps lock.There you go again, the humourless chappie with a fine line in personal insults like 'twat'. I won't stoop to your level however. I can't believe you're still banging on about this! I had walked away from that spat and even sang the praises of the Punto - you however have not it seems and the anger is still lingering. Grow up and get over it. :roll:Btw the best Fiat I ever had? A 1994 Coupe, M707CLM. :D

you started the personal insults,btw i have a coupe aswell as other fiats,but i wouldn't slum it with a 4 cylinder model, i break them up,best thing for them.you still haven't told us what shite you have.or been able to back up anything you have said.hopefully we will bump into each other sometime,and have a 'chat' about it.

I'm going to risk a flaming/toys out of the pram moment here but as regards Fiats small cars being good I can only say whoever thinks that didn't ever have to suffer the indignity of having to travel round in the old 126. What an absolute pile of shite that was, ditto the most stupidly named car ever, the Fiat Panda Comfort. As comfortable as sitting on a frozen breeze block in a car with solid tyres and no suspension going over a ploughed field.BUT...Fiat are NOT the only ones who made shit cars.

You've probably got a point but are you saying we shouldn't love them regardless? Are they so unworthy that they can't even be celebrated on a website that celebrates all old, unusual, interesting, uninteresting, rare, unpopular, slightly embarrassing, uncool in a cool way, vehicles?? This site is meant to be without prejudice towards anything that the rest of society is prejudiced against. We're meant to embrace it all, however grudgingly.For instance I can't imagine a car I would like to own less than a Nissan Micra, yet I'm not going to sit here & say that anyone that likes them must be off their rocker. Whatever floats your boat baby! I'm sure Micras are a very capable, loveable little thing, it just doesn't do anything for me at all. Although I'm warming to the rear view of the very earliest ones as I do with all things when they stop becoming an everyday sight!

btw i have a coupe aswell as other fiats,but i wouldn't slum it with a 4 cylinder model, i break them up,best thing for them.

Blimey - are the 4cyls that bad, then? Beautiful looking car, the Coupe. Especially in that nice mid-blue. Mmmmmmm.BTW, I found a picture of a Grande Punto in police livery (can't remember which constabulary), but it's too big to post here and I can't work out how to resize it through the BBCode. So maybe the "STI" is a police car? "Cop motor, cop shocks, built before catalytic converters so it runs good on regular gas. Is it the new Bluesmobile or what?""Get a cigarette lighter fitted." 8)

hopefully we will bump into each other sometime,and have a 'chat' about it.

Oooh, threats of violence as well!!! :D Jeez, I'm trembling with fear - honestly, I am.Boy oh boy, you have real issues that need addressing.My car? Let's just say it's not as good as a G reg Fiat Tipo - the best car in the whole wide world............ :lol:Btw M707CLM was a year old when I had it...........

no need to be personal peeps - i can insult myself all day- this is my shite and i took it to a local car show last week some of it is hand painted it has scraches and dents all over it and has patches of primer and rust - but tough shit its one of my cars and i am taking it to imp club national in north yorkshire in 7 weeks.

Posted Image

My shite was free shite. A 1991 525i manual in Indesit white with a Rottweiler spec driver's seat and 209'000 miles. Insult away - water/ducks back. :D Imps are wicked. In 1986 I bought RNK243D, a BRG Imp Super with a mint body and a shagged engine. For another 150 quid I bought a rotten Imp Rallye (a real one) with a perfect engine, Konis and proper Imp/Viva Cosmics. The two were joined over a weekend, I ran it for a few weeks and sold it again. Zastava? You bourgeois Western Pig Dog . It's got to be the proper For Suckers Only (FSO) to get the Holy seal of approval, the Commie spec 125P. In Brown. :lol: