Rot near rear suspension mounts

Anti Roll bar D bushes

Pair of springs

Pair of brake hoses

Not bottom arm bushes debonded

Both calipers pissing fluid out

Both strut mounts holed

3 of the tyres fucked

Handbrake out presumably the adjusters stuck or rear cylinders bollocksed.

It’s was fucked then. It won’t have improved like a fine wine. I’d say rag the useful bits off and let the rest go in the baler.

If they were all listed on eBay from different areas of the country they would be laughed at for the worthless junk they are, if they were even deemed worth crowing about in the first place. Just because the site has some 'legendary' status does not change the fact that they are all still hopeless pieces of shit which ought to be stripped and cubed at the soonest opportunity. There are loads of well preserved examples of each of these cars and when they come up for sale hardly anybody gives a wank. Get over yourselves FFS, its hardly a treasure trove.

Well yes but this site isn't Automint is it?

Can't be many Cav 1,4s bumbling around nowadays? It sounds utterly fucked but that Cav is strangely appealing.

Well yes but this site isn't Automint is it?

Can't be many Cav 1,4s bumbling around nowadays? It sounds utterly fucked but that Cav is strangely appealing.

It’s still better than a small scheme of semi detached executive homes at just £149,999. It’s proper DIY that garage with its single leaf block walls, no pillars, clear fibreglass sheets.

Has anyone made contact with the ‘owner’ of these cars? If not, what are you waiting for? Send me the number and I’ll call him!

01283 222222

I think you'll find that he's more than willing to sell, but his prices were optimistic when the garage closed, never mind twenty years on.

post-4623-0-28894400-1553258681_thumb.jpg

If they were all listed on eBay from different areas of the country they would be laughed at for the worthless junk they are, if they were even deemed worth crowing about in the first place. Just because the site has some 'legendary' status does not change the fact that they are all still hopeless pieces of shit which ought to be stripped and cubed at the soonest opportunity. There are loads of well preserved examples of each of these cars and when they come up for sale hardly anybody gives a wank. Get over yourselves FFS, its hardly a treasure trove.

Amen

On the face of it that Cavalier doesn’t look too bad but under its veneer it’s fucked. Cue it being on eBay for eleven million pounds soon.

I think it may be saveable but it's deffo not a weekends work. What do we think; welding, springs, TREs (usually seized anyway), CV boot, flexis and calipers, discs and pads while your at it, probably a set of shoes & cylinders (hopefully drums will clean up)? Nothing especially complicated.

A lot of work assuming no other surprises (lol) but it is an early BASE SURVIVOR. No doubt it would be SLOW AS F**K though!

I think it may be saveable but it's deffo not a weekends work. What do we think; welding, springs, TREs (usually seized anyway), CV boot, flexis and calipers, discs and pads while your at it, probably a set of shoes & cylinders (hopefully drums will clean up)? Nothing especially complicated.

A lot of work assuming no other surprises (lol) but it is an early BASE SURVIVOR. No doubt it would be SLOW AS F**K though!

I lot of that stuff I could probably procure from work at cost price (usually a few pence as it came as part of a job lot 20 years ago) if it helps with a plan. I saw a pile of MK3 Cav brake pads only yesterday.

I’m sure a classic car mag bought and ‘restored’ the Skoda not that long ago. The Cavalier looks wretched and will be utterly fucked.

I think you’re right, and did Sam Glover have something to do with it if I remember rightly. I’m sure it was in a recent Craptical Plastics... I have a feeling he went to Europe in it.

• 5 weeks later...

Chris Pollit isn't buying it, unfortunately. I messaged him after I saw his Twitter posts, and he's not in the market after seeing some of the updated photos (trashed screen and both offside windows).

I still like the idea of a group buy, but lack facilities and geographical suitability (sunny Cornwall).

Someone save the poor old thing, please!

What’s a VERY decent price though?

Indeed. I'm struggling to see value in the cars left on that site extending anywhere north of what they'd make over the bridge.

That's not to disrespect the efforts being made to save these hopeless shitters, though - I fully understand that our position lies a long way from any recognisable form of logic, and long may that continue :)