THAT abandoned dealer again Swadlincole

Alexg

I met the garage owner a couple of sundays ago - but sadly he was not in the mood for a chat. The Rover 800 had its wheels stolen a while ago. Someone was there the other weekend when the Rover window was broken and also had all the remaining cars doors / bonnets opens which I assume was for robbing batteries etc. Shame that as I wanted a chat about the place with him.

Someone was there the other weekend when the Rover window was broken and also had all the remaining cars doors / bonnets opens which I assume was for robbing batteries etc. Shame that as I wanted a chat about the place with him.

Sounds like whatever minimal security the site originally had is now no longer present. I'd give it months, if not weeks until some jockstrap ignites the lot.

Real shame to hear about the remaining cars being damaged and the Rover 800 having it's wheels nicked. I know this garage well as my Father lives in Measham and I used to pass this garage on my driving lessons in about 2001. Haven't drove past myself in over a year now.

If anybody is seriously interested in saving these cars then I'd be happy to try and help out if I'm free. I have borrowed a ridged bar from a friend which I still have at the minute so could help pull a car out with our Fiorino Van or my Cavalier if needed. 

The Cavalier from memory was very tidy, I'd like it myself but just don't have the available funds etc at the minute. The Rover also seamed in good condition. The Meastro is a Auto I think and some rust but think it looked like it could certainly be saved. 

Last I knew the phone number shown on the sign was still contactable to the owner of the site. 

The Metro I saw about 2 years ago nearby on a one of the Industrial Estates in Swadlincote and appeared to be still off the road in the same condition.  

With regards to the site. From what I can remember, yes the owner wanted to redevelope the site but the local council objected to his original plans. Then due to lack of money as well as personal problems this has been left in limbo for some time now. I don't think it the danger of the site being knocked down, more the risk of the cars being destroyed by the local knuckle draggers first. 

Will take a look past myself this week when I get chance as I'm not over that way much at the minute. 

My Grandparents had a Red F reg Maestro 1.6L when we were kids. I thought it was inferior compared to our E reg Fiat Strada 70CL Team my Dad had at the time. But now I really appreciate the Maestro having seen a few on here and at some local cars shows the past few years. 

Go On Mr B it would go nicely with your LDV! 

I think it will need some welding to the lower scuttle of the windscreen on the Rover - I'm pretty sure it was rotten around there last time I saw it.

Scuttle panel can be changed. I've got several in the loft ;)

Mind, I never changed the one on my KV6 Sterling. It's not that important but it's a 5 minute job to change.

Anyone who manages to retrieve the few remaining vehicles from this mystical palace of shite and return it to the road can be assured of permanent deity status in Autoshite circles. Songs will be composed, statues erected, frescoes painted to commemorate such a deed...

In my mind, at least.

But it's got to be nearly as good a story as the unfolding R6 thread.

Slightly off topic, but a dealer local to me used to have all manner of rotten, rotten chod down the side of his showroom - all with faintly ludicrous prices. I once enquired about a fire-gutted MkV Cortina that still had better wings than mine (somehow), and was told a firm £500, no lower. Every five years or so he'd get them all weighed in, then replace them with a new lot to sit and corrode. At the time I thought it was an insane business practice, but I've since been informed that there were significant tax 'advantages' in claiming a certain proportion of turnover was tied up in unsold stock, which was later written off as loss... I dunno how that was meant to work, but I loved seeing them as a kid.

Wonder whether the owner of this place maybe has the remaining cars in here linked financially to another business? Possibly a factor in the mystery of the Cav on SORN, but no others?

post-17915-0-19449800-1508945584_thumb.jpg
post-17915-0-65674800-1508945596_thumb.jpg
post-17915-0-68656300-1508945605_thumb.jpg

And you know this because?

It’s a 30 year old Rover 800 that’s sat in a shed for at least 15-20 years. The outlook was fairly grim when it was for sale, what did it say ‘sold as seen no test’. Any garage selling a car on that premise knows it’s a barrel of shit.

It’s a shame cause it’s in a nice colour as well.

It’s a 30 year old Rover 800 that’s sat in a shed for at least 15-20 years. The outlook was fairly grim when it was for sale, what did it say ‘sold as seen no test’. Any garage selling a car on that premise knows it’s a barrel of shit.

Whatever pal.

The Mk1'c' 800 which is what this 800 is, was a lot better rust protected than the earlier cars. The garage probably couldn't be bothered to MOT it at the time hence left as a 'sold as seen' for a quick sale.

I've brought a couple 30 year old Rover 800s back from the brink, very solid underneath (they rarely go underneath, sometimes on the sills they do) but one I have has visible rust on the outside. It's still a solid in my opinion, I've seen other pictures of this car snd it looks solid as far as I'm concerned, it has sat on hard-standing since its been there, not wet grass, it'll take a bit of work to get it roadworthy but not a full-blown restoration. I have also visited this garage on the way back from a Leicester-based shiter a couple of years ago.