Edd's Talbot Samba Thread

SambaS

On 2/29/2012 at 3:33 AM, SambaS said:

I still have not seen another UK Talbot Samba Sport since selling mine in 2009. Does anyone know of any? Even laid up rally cars... I found an S for sale in Spain, they were sold over there too. Really interested to find one in any condition.

I still have not seen another UK Talbot Samba Sport since selling mine in 2009. Does anyone know of any? Even laid up rally cars... I found an S for sale in Spain, they were sold over there too. Really interested to find one in any condition.

List of Talbot Samba models: LE, LS, GL, GLS. The performance models: S, Rallye and Cheetah (Charters of Aldershot special based on the Samba S with 2x twin choke Webber 40s) And the Special Editions: Trio (Bahia in Europe), Roller (Sympa in Europe) and Style.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know where I could get my hands on a Samba Trio? I won a poster for best (of 2) Samba at the SCUK AGM a few years back featuring the Trio, since putting it on my wall my flat mate who's had two of my Sambas in the past has asked me to find him one. I think there's little hope!

Only 1500 Trios made, and I think only for 1 year, near the end of the production run, possibly 1985. I only ever saw 1, and it was in a breakers in 1991 (I got the dashboard out of it for mine as it had the "high radio" type). Even 20 years ago Sambas weren't that easy to find, here at least, hence my owning 3 at the same time in order to have plenty of spares. I was given a bunch of spares from a Citroen LNA too, about half of which were no use as they didn't fit, despite the cars supposedly being the same. A goodly amount of early 205 engine and gearbox bits fit, so much so that my "good" Samba, the red one, got a 1360 twin carb, and then the full 205 GTi 1.6 treatment*, MG Metro red seatbelts, GLS seats and an MG Metro boot spoiler. I had to cut a hole in the bonnet for the air intake of the 1360, and topped it off with a scoop from a Celeste Turbo.

Wish I could find the photos. They are in my parents house somewhere, and they never chuck anything out.

*ably assisted by motorcycle tuning legend of this parish, Scott Bell. When Scott wasn't ripping apart X7s and SuperDreams, his favourite past-time was fitting Rover V8s in the most unlikely places, including some fibreglass boat which promptly sank near Whitehead.

The only other I've ever seen was owned by a guy known as "Cheese" when I went to college (15+ years ago now) and it was in North Shropshire. To be fair, his was immaculate and was actually a nice car....but he sold it and got a Nova GTE instead. Bad times.

I had a Samba Style back in 2000 when i was 16 for my 1st car. Best thing i've ever had! The Styles as far as i know were all metalic silver with a red stripe with a black stripe through the middle with style on the rear tailgate graphic though mine didn't have it as the tailgate had been repainted before i had it. Chrome wheel rings and a pop up sunroof. 954cc with a 4 speed gearbox. With etheir grey or red interior mine was grey. Brought it for £130 borrowed £15 from my brother after i haggled it down from £200 due to a knackard exhaust an needing a tyre. Found out the next day when my dad went round to collect it that the missing spare wheel he said he had in the back garden was completly bent clearly from hiting a curb so got a rim from a scrapyard off a earlier mk1 Renault 5 as it was the same wheel?

Kept it 5 very happy years an do miss it when i think of it. In 2003 me an my brother drove from Tamworth staffs to Newquay, for a two week holiday to meet up with my best friend an his family. His dad had joked the week before about me going in it as orignally was ment to go in my brothers car but it let us down at the last minute so the Samba it was! I don't think it had ever been out of the Midlands in it's life an was the 1st major road trip for me. It of course got us down in 5 hours including two stops on the way there an through two weeks of havoc without any problems. My friends Dad face when i arrived was priceless. I felt such a hero for taking that car all that way there then noticed a Y reg Fiat Panda an W reg VW Golf at the same campsite. It didn't have a tempeture gauge which worried me a few times there during are stay but it never overheated or used any oil. Got my rep up on the first night we arrived as driving round the town centre i beeped some ladies who were dressed in nurses uniforms who flashed there tops back. :D The car used to fly down the roads an i used to drive it flat out like 17/18 year olds do. It used to sit at 90 mph [on private roads] without complant an the handling an ride was great an everbody agreed the seats were fantastically comfortable too.

Me and my dad had wondered if somebody had tweeked the engine as it was such a nippy car an the radiator was clearly off a bigger car too an it didn't fit propley etheir never caused any problems etheir. It never let me down once only changed the brake pads once an change the oil ever year with Duckhams 20w50 an i got through various budget tyres that was about it.

I sold it for free in Practical classics to some guy up derbyshire/yorkshire way in the end with a few months mot an tax never to be seen again only because i couldn't find any parts i needed which was front wings an a headlamp. Plus the rear drivers quarter needed work as it had been shunted before i had it an poorley repaired plus a respray an i just didn't have the skills to fix it and weld the front inner wings still don't unfortantly etheir so i hoped it would go to a good home.

That car was a real good friend to me an wished i could have kept it an returned the favour. Thanks for the memories C347 KDA. You did me proud. :wink:

I bought a Samba Cabrio out of a northumberland scrapyard in about 1992. The clutch was shot in it so i took the engine out and dismantled all the idler gears etc. Then a goat broke into my garage and trampled all over the neatly laid out cogs and bearings and what have you on my workbench. I lost interest after that, assuming that at least half a dozen minute but critical parts would now be missing, and sold it to my mate, i dont think it saw the road again.

My dad had a brand new Atlantic Blue Samba GLin 1983. I wasn't particularly smitten with it (I was 12 and a half years old) but it seemed to go OK for an 1124cc engine. The back seat was plain uncomfortable and cramped, and gave me backache. The exhaust fell off after 20,000 miles, but having said this the 20,000 miles took about 10 months because he was commuting from Rossendale to St Helens every day... It was also hit by a drunk driver in Manchester once, but only had a creased wing to show for it.

The big problem was the Carburettor, which had hesitation every time the throttle was pressed when the engine was warm. The cause was "dust in the petrol tank" apparently, and never fixed despite numerous attempts under warranty. Oddly enough, my 309SR does the same trick - fuel vapourisation. I didn't know much about cars then, and my dad is mechanically inept...

I don't know about the economy, but the 205GR (1360cc detuned with some Samba GL engine parts) that followed the Samba gave 38.9mpg in the same useage (except for being hit by drink drivers).

One of the teachers at Sixth Form College had a Samba Rallye in Red; he was very much a car fanatic.

So they really are mean little movers?

.... opposite end to where they feed the hay, monami!

My brand new Red 'Y'GL1100 had 'TalbotRattle' - sump full'o nuts - too!

tooSavvy >> My now 'from new' 57 Proton SAVVY [cue Clarkson] is from another planet ...well, continent - as an 1100 wheezer :twisted:

Yer mine used to always rattle regardless. I used to refer to it as the rattle box an took pride in offending people with it on a daily basis due to the sound of the engine and it's rough appearence. :)

Forgot to say on my previous post a couple of years ago me an my brother plus a friend went for a ramdom drive a couple of years ago over Telford when was bored one weekend in the cavalier. I hadn't a clue where we were but down a very narrow lane as i approched a bend i had to stop for the car heading towards me. An i couldn't believe what i was seening. A Samba Rallye!

Stopped an spoke breifly to the owner who said he had been to a car show earlier in the day and was trying to find a farm nearby that had the remains of another rallye he was hoping to aquire parts from. Wonder if it's still there? It had been restored think it was on a B reg? Im sure he lived off the mainland too don't think it was Ireland though can't think where he said now but really made my day seening it even only for a few minutes.

Sounding a lot like Pat I met him at Retro Rides at Santa Pod in 2009 with the Simca Club, he spends time on the Isle of Man

Yer mine used to always rattle regardless. I used to refer to it as the rattle box an took pride in offending people with it on a daily basis due to the sound of the engine and it's rough appearence. :)

Forgot to say on my previous post a couple of years ago me an my brother plus a friend went for a ramdom drive a couple of years ago over Telford when was bored one weekend in the cavalier. I hadn't a clue where we were but down a very narrow lane as i approched a bend i had to stop for the car heading towards me. An i couldn't believe what i was seening. A Samba Rallye!

Stopped an spoke breifly to the owner who said he had been to a car show earlier in the day and was trying to find a farm nearby that had the remains of another rallye he was hoping to aquire parts from. Wonder if it's still there? It had been restored think it was on a B reg? Im sure he lived off the mainland too don't think it was Ireland though can't think where he said now but really made my day seening it even only for a few minutes.