That beige Polonez: EUROTRIP 2014

SambaS

The day the fun ended!

WP_20140627_001.jpg

WP_20140626_024.jpg

We left Titisee in the morning and headed North towards Luxembourg. We stopped in Freiburg for a few hours for lunch and a look about.

WP_20140627_003.jpg

30KM from the Luxembourg border I ran the car out of petrol!

Bad move.

I walked to the nearest motorway phone to call for help, which came an hour or two later.

The kind man from the ADAC said sure I could have some petrol but he doubted I could afford his call out charge.

150 EUR and 10 EUR for the fuel.

My phone wouldn't connect to UK numbers so I couldn't call my breakdown to assist. Tom didn't seem to want to help using his phone.

My plan was to take the hit and chalk it up to experience and continue the trip, when I had filled up the car (at this point Tom was no longer talking to me and didn't pay his half of the fuel in Luxembourg). then we went to a cash point and that was the end of the money. I couldn't pay the man for his call out charge.

Hours of arguing passed and eventually just before the police were called Tom went and got the money out the bank.

I was so upset by it all, and having no money left called it a day and headed for Calais.

The next two days were shit. We didn't talk much. that night Tom wouldn't put the tent up i"because it would get wet"  so I slept on the floor outside on my duvet. Woke up to a line of faces looking at me and chewing, that was quite amusing thinking back to it. (Cows)

WP_20140627_006.jpg

WP_20140627_007.jpg

The following day I woke up in either Belgium or Luxembourg at this point I didn't care. Belgium was shit.

Got to Calais and booked a ferry home the following day. I went and spent the day in KFC/ the KFC carpark, Tom went off somewhere in Calais for a drink.

Once it looked sure I was gonna get back onto England I used Autoshite therapy to keep me sane.

The only Talbot I saw the whole time away was in Calais:

WP_20140628_001.jpg

Obligatory Mongdeawoo Gaffa tapeage:

WP_20140629_001.jpg

The fuck?

WP_20140629_002.jpg

WP_20140629_003.jpg

WP_20140629_004.jpg

And new cars don't rust at the Dartford toll:

WP_20140629_007.jpg

What an anti-climax eh.

Still feel sad writing about it, but we had some fucking brilliant times.

If we had both had my attitude "okay this has happened now how can we best deal with it" maybe we'd have managed The Netherlands and the Nurburgring.

Certainly if I had purchased a bloody petrol can in Halfords this wouldnt have been the end of the trip.

Aaaaaaaand if I had just stopped and filled up a few KM before.....

Hey ho.

England

France

Switzerland

Italy

Slovenia

Croatia

Austria

Liechtenstein

Germany

Luxembourg

Belgium

Great trip Samba, I'm sorry you and your friend ended up falling out, at the very last hurdle too. Running out of fuel seems a terrible thing to fall out over, what if you hadnt run out of fuel but instead had run a big end or something and knackered the FSO engine? Would have been a much bigger problem and you can never be 100% certain that it won't happen. On long trips, unexpected stuff happens, thats a fact of life. I think he needs to flippin chill out and have a word with himself.

Sorry to hear that the trip ended on a negative. As Ollox says, your old mate needs to take a chill pill and look at his own flaws. At least you got back safely and the car seems to have given sterling service. What's the whole ADAC thing? Equivalant to AA type thing? Inspiring reading, regardless - thanks for taking the time to share 8-)