Acetone

pompei

DMK is nasty stuff though and I certainly wouldn't want to keep it in my shed or garage. Ditto toluene and other solvents. Not worth the risk in my experience.

I've got a 5 litre tin of a mix of toluene, xylene and methanol mixture in my garage. It's called thinners! It's also a bastard to get a cold carb engine to strt on it, but once it's a wee bit warm it'll run. Rots fuel lines though, used it to move the avatar car before it was on the road.Should be good for turbo cars if you can keep it in the fuel lines and outside plastic carb floats, used in F1, Group A touring cars Group B and Group C in the 80's...and German aircraft in the mid-40's!According to the Mythbusters, then DMK is snake-oil...

Toluene is also used to bump the octane rating on modern fuels apparantly. I have had a VERY nasty 'near miss'* with the stuff though and wouldn't go anywhere near it ever again. The effects of what a (relatively) small amount can do is devastating and something very minor can trigger it to go up. Sorry to sound like a H&S Nazi by the way, just I wouldn't want anyone to experience what I did. Oh, it also goes in pharmaceuticals amongst other things. Not sure if DMK is known as snake oil, or even what snake oil is to be honest, but used to get (inadvertantly)high as a kite sampling tanks full of the stuff!*Why do they call it 'near miss'? Surely a near miss would actually be an incident?

Just looked up toluene...How can toluene affect my health?Toluene may affect the nervous system. Low to moderate levles can cause tiredness, confusion, weakness, drunken-type actions, memory loss, nausea, loss of appetite, and hearing and color vision loss. These symptoms usually disappear when exposure is stopped.Inhaling High levels of toluene in a short time can make you feel light-headed, dizzy, or sleepyBloody hell, I feel like that all the time :?

Ive already tried the Acetone experiment while I was working in Israel in 2004/05 and it didn't work for me.The conclusion that I got was that if your system was extremely dirty/clogged up then Acetone might improve things and hence give better fuel economy.I'll try to dig out the thread (on another board) with my results

Just looked up toluene...How can toluene affect my health?Toluene may affect the nervous system. Low to moderate levles can cause tiredness, confusion, weakness, drunken-type actions, memory loss, nausea, loss of appetite, and hearing and color vision loss. These symptoms usually disappear when exposure is stopped.Inhaling High levels of toluene in a short time can make you feel light-headed, dizzy, or sleepyBloody hell, I feel like that all the time :?

I remember way back when, during my HGV1 course reading about some chap that was driving a tanker full of toluene - the tank developed a leak and he ended up doused in the stuff - died in a matter of hours allegedly... :shock: