Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

1980 Austin Princess - Daily Driver

Project

• Please log in to reply
3636 replies to this topic

#3631 ONLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 15,631 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:11 PM

Looks like I forgot my end of Week 11 update here too.  That's okay, nothing happened.

Princess Update end of Week 12:

All systems normal, as usual, with one exception. A peculiar wubwubwub noise and a vibration through the passenger floor, an occasional vibration through the brake pedal under heavy breaking.

Today being the first day of Week 13 means the following are identified as part of this week, rather than last week. The peculiar noise and vibration could be a failing wheel bearing as there is some slight play in the passenger front one and the noise is localised there. The other peculiar thing it did was on setting off home today, the starter motor decided to drag after the car had started, and then behaved normally once I got moving, I'll keep an eye on that and hopefully it won't require replacement or another rebuild and was just a random occurence. I'm not superstitious, but this is Week 13 of the experiment so...

#3632 ONLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 15,631 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:25 PM

201902-01.jpg

Don't panic!  I haven't run Mike over, the suspension hasn't broken, we just decided to give it a check.  We'd both noticed the rear passenger side sometimes seemed to be sitting a little lower, by maybe an eighth of an inch, if that.  I'm a firm believer in doing my best to do preventative maintenance if I can so the bills can be kept low and big repairs avoided.  So, Mike got out the dalek and started by flushing the displacer on that corner.  The fluid that came out was green, but had some brown-ish sediment in it.  Reinflated back to the requisite pressure with fresh fluid and it seems fine.  The other corners were done as well and while the driver's side was very clean, the passenger side fluid was noticeably dirtier.  We're putting it down to being the side that does the most work, what with it being curb side, so it's likely just flushed more stuff around inside.

201902-02.jpg

It's about the right sort of timescale and mileage to do a check after the last service on the suspension anyway and we found it had all settled out a bit lower than it should.  Reinflating all four corners to the requisite pressure has improved the ride and appears to have levelled the car out again, so we're hoping it was just that things had settled from use and needed a refresh.  Certainly something to keep an eye on, other things keep getting in the way of me affording to get a set of displacers regassed, though that is on my shopping list for the future.

While Mike was doing the suspension, I was sorting out the rebuilt carburettor that a friend had done for me.  This was originally so covered in grime and muck I wasn't entirely sure it was salvagable, but after replacing basically every part that can wear out, it was returned to me as good as new.  Perhaps even a little too nice!  Certainly made the rest of the engine look like it could do with a clean.

201902-03.jpg

The only issue was the float wasn't set quite right and rather than faffing taking the carb on and off (which is incredibly annoying because of where it's located), I cheated and took the new float out and refitted the old one which is set correctly.  Ideally I was going to fit this new carb and set it up at my friend's place, which would have made things easier, but after weeks of clashing schedules it was determined to post it out to me. At some point I'll either swap the new float in set to the correct height, or I'll totally forget and leave it as it is.

201902-04.jpg

201902-05.jpg

One annoying thing I noticed on cleaning the car recently is that the paint around the side repeater on one side is lifting.  I have no idea why, it's not doing it anywhere else, I'll just have to clean it back and repaint it.

201902-06.jpg

Everything sorted, we could go home.  I was having an issue with the throttle not being very responsive, which was a little strange.  Disconnected the throttle cable and held the engine end while Mike operated the pedal end and the cable sorted itself out.  Not sure how, but it seemed to have got bound up inside the sheath somehow.  Once reconnected, normal throttle was returned.  With the suspension serviced and the new carb, the car rides much nicer and accelerates much better.  The occasional hunting/flutter thing that it would do is gone, and there's no hesitation setting off.  I will of course monitor things over the next few miles to see if things stay like this, but initial signs are promising.

201902-07.jpg

• colc, danthecapriman, JeeExEll and 7 others like this

#3633 OFFLINE   320touring

320touring

Fu'Gutty

• Full Members
  • 10,951 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationUp 'eh Road

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:14 PM

This is turning into a lovely thing!
  • vulgalour likes this
Read about my chod based adventures here:
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

#3634 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 10,335 posts
  • 108 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:19 PM

Have you lost the front to rear hydro connection pipes? Or did these never have them?
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#3635 OFFLINE   captain_70s

captain_70s

A Triumphant Moron

• Full Members
  • 2,379 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationWeegietown

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:21 PM

I thought all hydrasag systems worked interdependently front/rear as it helped stop the bouncing you used to get with the hydrolastic systems?

35lR772.jpg

#3636 ONLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 15,631 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:32 PM

Keep up at the back.  I took the interconnecting pipes off ages ago in favour of individualising units, an idea nicked from MG F racers.  A compromise, really, since I've sacrificed some comfort in favour of handling.  It also means if a displacer does fail, you can see immediately which one it is and the car is much more driveable should a displacer fail.  My original pipes had rotted and failed, as they do.  It's not as nice in the back, I'm told, the ride is a little bouncy, but since I'm never in the back I don't care about that.

• colc likes this

#3637 OFFLINE   MikeKnight

MikeKnight

• Full Members
  • 504 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationTeesside

Posted Today, 12:58 PM

attachicon.gif201902-01.jpg

Don't panic!  I haven't run Mike over

..... yet.

• vulgalour likes this