1980 Austin Princess

vulgalour

I think they work SO much better than the BMW lights. I think having them in line makes a huge difference. Well worth revisiting!

Rear Light wise I'd be tempted to have the outers as tailights only, brakes on all 4. Indicators on the outers and reverse lights on the inners.

Altogether its much cooler than an Ausin princess has any right to be!

Joe

I agree, they look better than the BMW lights, but then the BMW lights were always a compromise.  The difficulty was obtaining two pairs of the Ford lights, postage from the US was always the killer when I did find complete undamaged units, so it took a long while to sort out.

I know Autoplas did a rear window louvre for the Princess and I'd still really like one.  Chances of finding one at all are incredibly slim, in all the time I've been looking I've only ever found two examples and neither were to be parted from the cars they were fitted to.  The rear screen is pretty big and doesn't seem to match the shape of anything else, so it looks like using a louvre off another car (like a Ford Capri, for example) isn't an option either.  I'll probably end up making one, it's usually what I do.

Tomorrow I hope to get the welding finished and hoping I don't run out of welding gas since my supply is quite low now and then during the week I hope to get the filler, paint, and wiring done.  Next weekend I might even have the rear screen fitted and be driving the car again.  Hopefully there won't be any more repairs that need me to take the car off the road for a substantial period after this.

I still fancy lakes pipes, there's just no easy way to fit them and have either of them functional and I doubt the O-series sounds like anything other than garbage through them.  Will probably chrome tip the existing pipe and fit a matching dummy pipe on the other side for balance.

Needs a flat bottomed overhang for bellflowers and considerably more overhang than the Princess has to pull it off.  I did briefly consider fabricating some 60s lower wing fins to accomodate them but again, the lack of overhang cocks up the proportions too much.  Shame, they look good on the right car.

ghghgf10.jpg

I am still tempted by some of those church organ speaker covers (I've also seen them described as air conditioning vents, so I suppose either could be true), but they're rather pricey for what they are.  They're also not really in keeping with the mid-80s mild custom look I'm going for.

Those lights look the business! Really suit the look.

What about an E-Type fantail exhaust?

0461b670754ae2555295dab8e825df5a.jpeg

And internal louvres?

32dc07b9eb18d222070cb2d9a18c681c.jpeg

You can still get them custom made here in Australia, I’ve been tempted to get some for the Jag.

http://www.autoshades.com.au/

Those lights look the business! Really suit the look.

What about an E-Type fantail exhaust?0461b670754ae2555295dab8e825df5a.jpeg

And internal louvres?32dc07b9eb18d222070cb2d9a18c681c.jpeg

You can still get them custom made here in Australia, I’ve been tempted to get some for the Jag.http://www.autoshades.com.au/

Internal louvres do look cool but can't help to think they look like venetian blinds, this is on a South African mk3 cortina I saw a couple of weeks back

post-4828-0-62878100-1538296895_thumb.jpg

Those internal blinds have a habit of rattling and jingling too, which I don't know that I could be doing with.  I'll just go the Japanese taxi route and fit a net curtain, that'll sort it.

PVD:  You and me both!  It's been very frustrating knowing what I want to do and not being able to do it until recently.  I knew this funky looking car was in there, it just took some coaxing out.

Finished the welding for the lights today.  I had to make a second pass to catch up some pinholes and a couple of spots where I'd been too aggressive with the flapwheel, as usual, but it all went fairly smoothly.  I dropped the foglights off the bottom of the car and my indecision has been cleared up and I will be keeping them off the car.  As had been mentioned, and I suspected, it does clean up the rear end a lot with the benefit of making things look a bit wider than they did what with the split colour and the matching lights.  I will incorporate the fog into one of the inner clear lenses, making use of the red bulb I bought for just this purpose.  I also sorted out the slightly misaligned backing plate, which was bent from the drill impact, and moved the paler lens to one of the inner buckets which helps balance everything out better.

44293389894_45ee9ed9ca_b.jpg20180930-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I've got to trim down the backing plates next since they serve as bulb holder and reflector.  They have a bucket shape to them that I can't use so I just need to trim the walls off, which is easy enough since they're aluminium.  They stick out barely further than the buckets in the boot which also look much smarter now than they did previously and will be lots easier to panel in when I get to that point in the future.  Making custom boot trims is going to take me a bit of time, and is a job for after the house move when that finally happens (long story, for another time).

44293388464_fffb20799e_b.jpg20180930-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

After getting as much of the welding done as was needed and dressing everything back to filler standard, I got busy with the filler, and then the sander, and then a dusting of primer so I could see where I'd been.  The last time I did this rear panel I had to rush the finishing off because the space was needed for other things and I never got to revisit it.  This time I'm able to do the job properly.  The only irritating thing was that the filler on the passenger side seemed reluctant to cure, it was a different brand to the stuff on the driver's side so it could be that, or that I didn't use quite enough hardener... or any number of other factors.  If it's still soft when I next go in, I'll dig it all out and redo it, though I'm hopeful it will be okay because it had started to harden by the time I was packing up today so it may just have been that the unit had got a bit too cold.

44101366435_95efd661bc_b.jpg20180930-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I'm using the primer as a guide coat because this rear panel has lots of wibbly wobbly bits, much of which is historical damage presumably from reversing into a wall, and some of which is from a very old panel repair.  I could have stripped it all down and built the panel from scratch but there's really no point, judicious application of filler will be perfectly adequate in this instance.  This is after the first fill and sand, you can just about make out the imperfections under the light units.  I could get away with leaving it as is because it's a difficult part of the car to see, I'd just rather do it right while I can.

44101366175_dd10c005f9_b.jpg20180930-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I'll be spending this week sorting out the filler and paint work on this panel so we can get everything back together again

Noel: it's safety I'm thinking of by only have 2 running lights because then it makes the FIVE brake lights more visible by contrast.

dont be silly! this is an british leylandii princess- there isnt enough loom smoke to power 5 brake lights

honda spaceship civic does 4 tail & 4 brake + high level brake

I'd have to lose the rear silencer to do that because there's nowhere under the car to fit one that would allow a side-exit, at least not in a way that would mean the pipe wasn't really visible.  The exhaust is definitely one of the In The Future jobs, the stock set up works fine and isn't too offensive.

I was having trouble finding the correct incandescent bulbs (no LEDs here, thank you) in amber for the high level indicators so opted to get plain ones and some Tamiya 'clear paint' to turn them into amber indicators.  This is handy because I do miniature painting and the Tamiya paints are useful for that.

45055323971_247dee1191_b.jpg20181002-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The filler I'd put on the passenger side that wasn't behaving hadn't all cured.  Some of it was fine and sanded perfectly normally but large chunks were still soft and half-set.  I'm putting it down to it being an old tin of filler since I'd mixed it thoroughly and applied it the same as the other stuff.  Dug out the bad stuff, flattened back the good stuff and slapped a dusting of primer on everything.  Already looking smarter.

44335920804_fa99c27a14_b.jpg20181002-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

This side is much worse than the other because of the drunk neighbour that reversed his Corsa B into the Princess a few years ago and there's some dents from before I bought the car.  It needs a lot more work and there's not really any access from the back to knock things out so I'm opting for filler here since it's the best option in my circumstances.

45055323831_05a929b3a8_b.jpg20181002-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Second round of filler work went better.  Unfortunately I ran out of time to do anything once it had cured so I'll go back in to do some sanding and applying more filler later this week.

45007569472_b8a0a8b935_b.jpg20181002-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

44335920574_6e4588b1f3_b.jpg20181002-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

44335920294_3d63054e81_b.jpg20181002-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

There is a lot of sanding to do.  I hate sanding.

More of the same filling and sanding rigmarole today.  Some of the filler hadn't cured at all, I'm putting this down to the Stevens brand stuff because I've had this issue with it before.  It doesn't matter how well you mix it, the prep on the panel, the temperature... sometimes it just doesn't work.  After today's efforts I got myself a tin of reliable P38 because there's more to do but I want a filler that I can actually trust.

Driver's side C pillar and window surround is ready for paint.

45030014242_0a6a5b11f6_b.jpg20181003-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I got some new sanding pads for the vibratory machine and since they actually fit it properly, it works much better.  That allowed me to get the whole back panel flatted back and the next round of filler down.  Lots of long, shallow fills on this.  Hopefully when I take this back it will be much smaller areas to do.

31205306328_69a595bc52_b.jpg20181003-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Dug out 95% of the filler on the passenger C pillar and redid it.  There was one small area that had cured perfectly fine and sanded really nicely, the rest was like it had no hardener in it at all.  Very strange given how much effort I put in to making sure the filler and hardener was well mixed and to the suggested quantities.

44167268795_a5a64b8e09_b.jpg20181003-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I'm really hoping I get this all good enough for paint this weekend.