Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

1980 Austin Princess - 21/10 Project Status

• Please log in to reply
2571 replies to this topic

#2551 OFFLINE   Beige 1100

Beige 1100

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

I wasn't criticising; I totally agree.  For 20 years from 1995 I pretty much exclusively drove hydrolastic/hydrogas suspended cars (a couple of Maestros might have snuck in as well).  Although I still own four I no longer use them as everyday transport as suspension issues are a pain to sort out in quick time.  One of my 1100s is currently on the naughty step with a burst pipe above the rear subframe, and I know if I drop the subframe to extract it I'll find other problems.

#2552 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 12,992 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:16 PM

I know you weren't criticising.  Written word falling a little flat there, as it sometimes does.  Dropping subframes... you never know, you might get lucky and find there's nothing to do but clean and underseal it!  That's reminded me, I have a weird 1100 problem that needs going in its thread so I'll stick that over there.

#2553 OFFLINE   keef

keef

• Full Members
  • 1,539 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationSheerness Kent UK

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:27 PM

That's reminded me, I have a weird 1100 problem that needs going in its thread so I'll stick that over there.

Another thread to add to my list. ;)

Where is it? :)
Keef - Sheerness Kent UK
1963 A40 Farina 1965 VDP 1100 1974 VDP 1300 1979 Maxi 1750HLS 1980 Maxi 1750
yjtmk.jpg

#2554 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 12,992 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:49 PM

There's a link to it in my signature.
  • keef likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
keef

#2555 OFFLINE   keef

keef

• Full Members
  • 1,539 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationSheerness Kent UK

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:58 PM

There's a link to it in my signature.

Silly me! :)

Found it via a search, although AS is getting a bit bloated with all the sub categories now. ;)
Keef - Sheerness Kent UK
1963 A40 Farina 1965 VDP 1100 1974 VDP 1300 1979 Maxi 1750HLS 1980 Maxi 1750
yjtmk.jpg

#2556 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 12,992 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

Let's have a happy Princess update for a change shall we?  The carpet I redyed has cured and is ready to go in the car.  The weather is clear, Mike is available to help with fitting everything and we can ditch the old black rug that's in there.

37745509372_668aa8dbd9_b.jpg20171018-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I've done this job a few times now, trying to improve the carpet each time and finally I've got a carpet I'm happy is complete, in reasonable condition and a colour I like.  Just having the inner sill pieces complete alone has made a huge improvement to the cabin.  It's also much less dreary in there than it was in all black.  I really don't like all black interiors, I like a splash of contrast at least.

37107243403_f638143a88_b.jpg20171018-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

37745509072_a6e59c72e8_b.jpg20171018-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The dashboard needs repainting again, or the paint stripping off back to the original orangey wood veneer.  I'm going to try stripping the purple off first to see if I can salvage the veneer since it's a reasonable match for the carpet and if not I'll likely repaint it in copper or metallic orange to match up with the rest.  I also need to get some fixings for that under-dashboard trim.

37068099234_b44492259a_b.jpg20171018-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The only thing that went a little bit wrong was a wire for the rear cigar lighter pulled out of its spade terminal and needs recrimping  so I haven't fully fitted the rear centre console yet.  I would have done it today but the wire crimpers and spare connectors aren't at the house.  Other than that, I'm really happy with this job.

• richardthestag, danthecapriman, Banger Kenny and 8 others like this

#2557 OFFLINE   beko1987

beko1987

Shonky old Citroen

• Full Members
  • 11,297 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationThame, Oxon

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:24 PM

That looks proper smart! Hope it lasts for you!
  • vulgalour likes this

2005 Gooner2 2.2dci Auto ex taxi (apparently) (Ex Kiltox)

2008 orl Vauxhalls r Shit Zafira 1.8 SRI 140 (Hers)

#2558 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 12,992 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:29 PM

I've just noticed a really unimpressed face where the centre vents are and now I can't stop seeing it.

• Pillock, wuvvum, chaseracer and 1 other like this

#2559 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,597 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

Carpet looks fantastic, very 70's!
  • vulgalour likes this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#2560 OFFLINE   purplebargeken

purplebargeken

Someone who is developing reduced levels of patience!

• Full Members
  • 10,265 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationSatan's Shitty Toilet

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

That looks pretty impressive. Typically I have no carpet that needs recolouring. How remiss of me.

Metallic orange dash would look very, very cool indeed!!!

• vulgalour likes this

#2561 OFFLINE   Junkman

Junkman

Totally and properly Renault R16!

• Full Members
  • 37,950 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • LocationStockport, England

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:11 PM

To dye for.

• mat_the_cat, purplebargeken, beko1987 and 1 other like this

1967 Renault 16 TL............................................now with floor and MoT

1971 Mercedes 280SE............................................................fucked

1979 Mobylette AV89............................................................running
1997 Peugeot 405 2.0 Executive Estate.................now with aircon and brakes

Thanked by 1 Member:
vulgalour

#2562 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 12,992 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:14 PM

Wow.  Just... wow.

#2563 OFFLINE   Noel Tidybeard

Noel Tidybeard

• Full Members
  • 2,993 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationBirminghamshireton

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:33 PM

I've just noticed a really unimpressed face where the centre vents are and now I can't stop seeing it.

Y THO!

07 Civic spaceship- daily
93 Renner 19 RNi- sulking
89 Sunnay L premium- hiding
14 Poojoe 208 ehdi feline- works (1 of 10) 17/67 Voxhell MokkachinoX 6 of them

I still haven't figured out what the custard bollocked two bob knob weasel actually does, and I strongly suspect I never will.

#2564 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 12,992 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted Yesterday, 06:27 PM

I have been quietly getting stuff together on the Princess to try and get things in a position where I can really just go through stuff in the winter.  The suspension issues have thrown a bit of a spanner in the works, as did getting the 1100, and work projects... but I'm top side of everything now so I finally have time and resources to devote to the wedge.

Mechanically, I've got two oil seals to replace and everything is crossed that these custom individualiser blocks I'm having made resolve the suspension issues as much as possible.  Everything else seems in fine fettle on the mechanical front.  Electrically I've got two inoperative dashboard bulbs which are going to be investigated sometime within the next week or so and some minor rewiring for the rear end.

That brings us neatly to the cosmetic.  A colour change is planned because of the new orange carpet inside the car which works so well with the black interior.  The only other interior jobs I need to do are to redo the parcel shelf in vinyl because the velvet has already faded - the sunlight through that rear window is really fierce - and recolour the dashboard insert.  Other than that the interior is really as I want it.

On the bodywork side of things I'll be repairing the best four of the eight doors I've got and putting the best glass, etc. in them before repainting.  That will also allow me to hopefully resolve the saggy driver's door hinge that has been an issue since day one.  I've got a spare front wing to allow me to repair the damaged one too, this is one of the biggest jobs on the car since they're not easy to remove or repair.  Elsewhere there's two small patches needed on the rear lower wings and the new light buckets to let in on the back panel.

Ah yes, the back panel.  Originally I wanted a matched pair of lights and couldn't find what I wanted in budget.  For various reasons my budget has since increased and options widened so I now have what I wanted in the first place rather than what I could get.  I'm quite excited by this.

543c807739ca.jpg 

I'll be doing away with the bullseye modern lights, the BMW 2002 lights and the foglights and replacing the lot with these four 1964 Ford Galaxie light units.  I've got two more cake tins ordered to give me the bigger internal buckets I need to install them with and then it should be just a weekend's work at the very most to get it all in and wired up.

I know, unfortunately, that the suspension is going to be the one thing that is going to continue to cause me a headache on this car.  If I'm really lucky, the solution I'm currently pursuing will see me right for some time to come.  I've not had much luck with the suspension on this car, however.  In fact, I've been one of the unluckiest!  That's just the way these things go.  I'm so close right now to having everything tied up and finished and looking how I want it's both frustrating and exciting.

The Rover, by comparison, is perfectly fine the way it is and I'm very happy with how it looks.  There's room for improvement but how it looks doesn't frustrate me like the Princess does, perhaps because the Princess has been a real fight for various reasons for the last five years and I feel like I ought to be a lot further along with it.

I still can't see myself getting rid of the Princess or, for that matter, the Rover.  They're a good fit for me and I do, when they're behaving, enjoy owning them.

• Heidel_Kakao, Pillock, wuvvum and 6 others like this

#2565 OFFLINE   Capree

Capree

• Full Members
  • 1,652 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 06:52 PM

You do realise that with four rocket-tail-lights installed you won't actually need an engine to drive forwards, and that suspension will only be required upon landing.
:-)

#2566 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 12,992 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted Yesterday, 06:59 PM

ooh, that should help with fuel economy!

• Capree likes this

#2567 OFFLINE   Capree

Capree

• Full Members
  • 1,652 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 07:26 PM

Onwards and upwards.

#2568 OFFLINE   plasticvandan

plasticvandan

• Full Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 07:45 PM

I'm hoping for orange,or brown :-)

#2569 OFFLINE   Mally

Mally

• Full Members
  • 1,191 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 07:46 PM

It's the minor details that piss you off.

I sorted the pipes on mine, then a displacer, then the cam belt teeth fell off  and bent 2 valves.

Final straw was the gear lever started going round like a pudding stirrer instead of forward and back.

Welded a slot back into the ball on the lever and got rid!

• vulgalour likes this

#2570 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 12,992 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted Yesterday, 10:53 PM

I had the pudding stirrer happen in the middle of Sheffield.  That was fun*.

#2571 OFFLINE   Dippy

Dippy

• Full Members
  • 388 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUp North

Posted Today, 07:53 AM

The carpet looks great and those seat covers are brilliant.

#2572 OFFLINE   chaseracer

chaseracer

Autoshite HR & Refereeing Solutions Ltd.

• Staff
  • 9,530 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted Today, 08:44 AM

I had the pudding stirrer happen in the middle of Sheffield.  That was fun*.

That's one for the quote thread...!  :D

2009 Cannondale Quick CX - pushy
2003 Citroen Berlingo 2.0HDi - daily
1995 Peugeot 205 Inca 1.7D - shiny (relatively...) 
1982 Citroen Dyane 6 - it's back! But it won't run! AAARRGH!!

AS Midland Massiv - in chod we rust...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users