Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

1980 Austin Princess - 20/09 BUCKETS

Project

• Please log in to reply
3382 replies to this topic

#3361 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 7,070 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:58 PM

Shit mate, glad it wasn't worse, I will always remember welding up a sierra for the scally rally for sutty2006, the usual sill and rear of sill rot, all was going great until we saw smoke from the inside, the bastard thing was on fire, he rushes for an extinguisher whilst im ripping stuff from the inside of the car and chucking it out of the way, he let off the extinguisher and bugger me that powder makes such a mess but it put it out no problem
Sir slidealot, knight of the roundabout

#3362 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 8,878 posts
  • 88 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:00 PM

The mess from powder extinguishers is why they're no longer recommended for use indoors, as they can make too much smoke and impede escape apparently.
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#3363 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,782 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 18 September 2018 - 03:32 PM

Today went better, there was much less fire and hardly any swearing.  First job was to empty the boot and get the fire extinguisher in the workzone, because we're learning from yesterday's mistakes today.

44044046254_34bd8af7df_b.jpg20180918-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

44044046234_922d6285b7_b.jpg20180918-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The most awkward repair was the simplest looking of them all, which was the long strip that had rotted away.  Before welding this in, I cut a long strip to size then drilled holes so I could puddle weld it in place.  Then I found that he welding tip could have done with being chisel shaped to get into the line where I'd made the cut.  There's probably a better way to do this repair, inexperience meant I approached it in this way.  I don't have a finger-file either so I had to improvise by using a grinding disc, flapwheels have spoiled me because grinding discs seem much louder and aggressive and just hurls tiny bits of metal filings all over the place.

44044046114_3b4aa4aba6_b.jpg20180918-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The top outer and inner corners went reasonably well.  Getting into the inside corner to clean up the welds smooth is very difficult with my tools but the weld doesn't protrude so much it's going to make the seal sit wrong.  I've cleaned back what I can and then I'll use some seam sealer just to smooth out the uneven surface to prevent this being a water trap and causing the rot again.  I also welded up the extraneous trim holes along the top of the C pillar since I shan't be using those again.

44044045824_024d08ea16_b.jpg20180918-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

It looks okay.  It's certainly free of holes now, which is good.

44044045874_f097b4961f_b.jpg20180918-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I was very much taking my time so by the time I was putting rust treater on everything there wasn't time to really do any of the next jobs.  It will give the rust treater time to do its thing and when I go back in I can clean everything down again and get the sealant and filler work done where required, then strip the paint off the C pillars and get the whole lot painted freshly ready for the screen to be reinstalled.  After that, it'll be new lights time, which should be a fairly quick job since I know exactly what I'm doing on that now.

44044045574_ef8b7d17ac_b.jpg20180918-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

• JeeExEll, Tickman, MarvinsMom and 3 others like this

#3364 ONLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 5,472 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 18 September 2018 - 03:35 PM

I must have turned over two pages..

Wasn't there a funky colour block pattern on the boot lid?
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

Don't suffer in silence. Samaritans 116 123

#3365 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,782 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:01 PM

There was, back in 2013.

#3366 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 2,168 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationLarose, Louisiana

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:47 PM

Now I really feel old.

Phil
I'm a Byte Wizard. I've been told so.
131372.png

#3367 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,782 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted Yesterday, 03:26 PM

More progress on this today.  I've decided to do the rear lights ahead of the filler work on the screen surround so that I can do all the filler work in one go when the lights are installed.  First up, disconnect and label the old light units, this should make wiring up for the new light units much easier.

44804654901_8c65226114_b.jpg20180920-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Then take the flapwheel and very carefully buzz the seam away where the buckets meet the back panel.  This was slightly easier on the inner buckets because I could wiggle them about since they're going straight in the bin.  The outers required a more measured approach.  I did a good enough job at putting these in that they were annoying to remove.  I'm also glad I made the decision to use just a couple of spot welds and seam sealer on the backing plates because that meant they weren't too difficult to remove and realign for the new lights.  This saves me buying and waiting for a new pair of cake tins to arrive to replace the outer buckets, so I can just crack on with the job.

44084856784_f480a89bda_b.jpg20180920-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The reason for removing both pairs of buckets is that the outers needed realigning.  The BMW lights have an angled back so the buckets for those weren't installed straight.  The new Ford lights have completely flat backs and are considerably easier to install.  Mocked up with a new bucket.

43894439845_94845e1b1a_b.jpg20180920-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I do lose a bit of depth on the outer buckets, but not so much it's a problem.  The central chrome piece will stick out from the buckets with the red brake light buried behind them, which is the look I want.  The back panel has a curve side to side and leans out at the top so there's no straight edges to work with on the car, everything has to be aligned mostly by eye to begin with and then tweaked afterwards.  Here you can see the new bucket pushed into its new home and the old outer bucket, both will need material trimming off once they're welded in.  I found it easier last time to weld the buckets in place and trim the excess off afterwards rather than trying to trim them exactly to shape.

44084856614_d0a520e6d0_b.jpg20180920-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The two holes matched in size does look better than the previous staggered arrangement.  This is no surprise because this is how I originally wanted to do it but had to improvise when I couldn't get a second pair of the Ford lights I wanted to use.

44084856514_04ce4d1fe0_b.jpg20180920-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Got some tape out and mocked up the new lenses.  That's why it looks wonky in the second picture.  I'm happier with this, it fits the panel shapes better and is much more what I had in mind.

43894439615_b071f97bfd_b.jpg20180920-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

43894439495_3a7c656c9e_b.jpg20180920-07 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Next job is to make all the backing plates match and weld those into the buckets before welding them into the car.  That will allow me to screw the lenses in place which will help with alignment.  I'm not sure I'll get this all done over the weekend but I should get a good way with it.

• Skizzer, Dick Longbridge, Stanky and 8 others like this

#3368 ONLINE   320touring

320touring

Picasso Licker

• Full Members
  • 9,976 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • LocationDoing the school run

Posted Yesterday, 03:39 PM

#rocketboostaz
  • vulgalour likes this
Read about my chod based adventures here:
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

#3369 ONLINE   JeeExEll

JeeExEll

• Full Members
  • 3,256 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationA figment of my own imagination.

Posted Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Aw this is gonna look fucking ace.
Nearly a year on from original idea (4th Oct last year) but now is the time to do it.

http://autoshite.com...buckets/page-84
  • vulgalour likes this

#3370 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 2,168 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 04:07 PM

Nice. I saw a pair of those lights go by the other day in my rear view, a little Ford pickup truck.

They look nice in the sunshine. I look forward to seeing this all painted up with all the afterburners in place.

Is the plan still to remove the fog lights below the bumper and integrate them?

Phil
  • vulgalour likes this
131372.png

#3371 ONLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 2,791 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationNot currently in Ireland

Posted Yesterday, 04:31 PM

I smiled when I saw the "buckets". They reminded me of cooking pots, a bit like this

F*ck your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside,
F*ck your Subaru, I have a horse outside.
And f*ck your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside,
If you're lookin' for a ride, I've got a horse outside

#3372 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 2,168 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 04:47 PM

Great buckets of fire?

Phil
  • purplebargeken and SiC like this
131372.png

#3373 ONLINE   JeeExEll

JeeExEll

• Full Members
  • 3,256 posts
  • 16 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 05:20 PM

^ Aye. A couple of days ago there were real flames shooting out of those 4 round holes. How cool was that. :-)

Certainly cooler than any manky old Batmobile.
  • vulgalour and SiC like this

#3374 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,782 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted Yesterday, 06:39 PM

I've been given a good bit of advice on lining up the buckets using a baton of wood and some screws to hold them all in a nice straight line, so that's helpful and should save me a lot of time.

For the fog lights, I was going to integrate a single one into one of the clear lens portions of the new lights.  I've had a second thought about this and am now considering just moving one of the existing fog lights underneath the number plate and removing the other.  I won't know if that works until I see it in person, but if it does then it saves a bit of work and I'll simple have the two inner clear lenses as reversing lights.

I'm also not sure if I'm having all four red lights as running and brake, or having 2 as running and 2 or 4 as brake.  Decisions, decisions.

#3375 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 2,168 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 06:46 PM

I was looking at dual red/white LED's here (popular for fire department and ambulance vehicles) and realized you need to change those to modern GM light sockets.

Why? Those are wedge base.

Phil
131372.png

#3376 OFFLINE   Noel Tidybeard

Noel Tidybeard

Crinkley Bottom

• Full Members
  • 3,868 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationSolihulldontchakno

Posted Yesterday, 11:35 PM

i would think 2 brake and all 4 tail

• Ghosty likes this

07 Civic spaceship- daily
93 Renner 19 RNi- sulking
89 Sunnay L premium- hiding

Only a complete wank-puffin has a personalised licence plate on a Ford Mondeo!

#3377 OFFLINE   Des

Des

• Full Members
  • 2,378 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationWatford

Posted Today, 08:24 AM

Would it be possible to engineer scrolling brake lights that follow a circle counter rotating?  And hang on some nipple tassles.

Festering scum of the earth, yer motoring public.

#3378 ONLINE   MarvinsMom

MarvinsMom

• Full Members
  • 6,382 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationNorth Yorks

Posted Today, 09:49 AM

we aprove, this thread is much better without fire.

• purplebargeken likes this
Current Fleet-
1974 Mini 1000 PROJECT
1996 Lexus Ls400 IT LIVES!!
2001 Rover 75 CDT Tourer
1997 Rover Mini Cooper Sport
1995 Jaguar XJR-6 SOLD
1989 Austin Metro

#3379 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,782 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted Today, 10:45 AM

Des:  Bit tricky to do scrolling brake lights with a single incandescent bulb and I'm not sure the tassles would suit me.

#3380 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 1,440 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted Today, 10:46 AM

I'd say having as many brake lights as possible can only be a good thing these days.
  • JeeExEll likes this

Current fleet: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.  1990 Mercedes 208D Auto Trail Navajo.  1985 Sinclair C5.  1973 & 1975 AC Model 70s.

#3381 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 8,878 posts
  • 88 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted Today, 10:52 AM

Lightbulbfun probably be able to hook you up with some 1kW stage lighting bulbs so you can outshine even the brightest and most modern Audi brake lights.
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#3382 ONLINE   Ghosty

Ghosty

RELIABLE HONDA ENGINE

• Full Members
  • 8,312 posts
  • 29 thanks
  • LocationManchester

Posted Today, 11:08 AM

I'd have two running and four brake, because then it's more obvious you're braking.

1990 Rover 416GSi - SORN

1991 Rover 416GTi - slightly bent

"Continuer indépendamment"

#3383 ONLINE   JeeExEll

JeeExEll

• Full Members
  • 3,256 posts
  • 16 thanks

Posted Today, 11:56 AM

All 4 running for maximum speed, and lit during the day too for instant acceleration.
VULGERBiRDS ARE GO GO GO !!!
  • Tadhg Tiogar likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users