1980 Austin Princess

vulgalour

I should talk about The Plan a little I suppose, because there is one with the car even though it might not seem that way.  Some parts of the car are spot on for what I wanted now.  Some parts need much more work. In short:  late 70s/early 80s mild custom.

Front

The MG B lights were the best fit I could find at the time.  The longer they've been there the happier I've become with them.  I haven't found anything I like better and they look correct for the age of the mods I'm going for.  Also, they're really very visible in use, which is a big bonus.  The only thing I want to change on the front is to get the lights hidden, my ideal would be motorised flaps to give the illusion of a full width grille, it's just a looooong way down my list of stuff because the front end looks fairly well resolved now, bar the paintwork.

Rear

I'm almost as happy with this as I am the front now.  The BMW lights and more modern inner lights were the closest I could get to what I wanted at the time and while I prefer them over the stock lights, they aren't exactly what I want.  Now I have the 60s Ford lights I can put a proper matched pair in and get this sorted when I have some time to do so.  The new lights will also allow me to lose the foglights hanging under the car.  I'm really happy with the frenched number plate.  I'd like to figure out a tidy way to hide the exhaust tip too, or perhaps fit a dummy to the other side just to balance the rear end out a bit better.  I'm in two minds about keeping the boot badging, I think it helps to  balance out the proportions a bit but it's not in keeping with the sort of mods that were done in the style I'm going for.  The only other thing I want for the rear end is a rear window louvre, of which I've seen photos of a grand total of two for the Princess, I can see myself making one of these.

The side view of the car is almost exactly what I want now.  The beige-over-red looks right (and seems universally approved of, which is surprising) and helps take a lot of the height out of the bodywork while also making it look longer and sharper.  The black satin C pillar I like  since it blends in with the door frames and window rubbers and helps make the roof almost look like it's floating.  I won't be making the roof or A pillars black because leaving them beige helps the bodylines look better.  I'd like to get a light tint on the windows, it's a bit of a greenhouse with the untinted glass, I just can't decide on whether to go grey or brown for that at the moment.  I will be reattaching the stainless sill trim that runs along the top edge of the sill as this will again help with  making the body look longer and leaner and protect the doors from stone chips.  I won't be reattaching the chrome arch trims, it's too much and will make things look fussy.  I also think I'm leaving the door handles chrome, they work perfectly fine against the colours and  repainting them bodycolour is going to tip me a bit further towards 90s styling than I'd like to go.

Interior

This is the most finished part of the car, really.  I do plan to repaint the dash insert in copper to match in better than the current purple and I'll probably be  retrimming the parcel shelf in buttoned black vinyl or velour (if I can find a black velour that isn't prone to UV damage as the current stuff is).  I'd like to fit the Ambassador electric windows that I've got in the front.  I'd like to replace the gearknob, ideally with the goldstone ball I have (drilling glass is... problematic).  That's really it.  I like the Princess interior pretty much as it came from the factory and I don't feel like retrimming absolutely everything is going to offer me any benefits

Wheels

Lotus wheels for the summer (maybe even this year!) and chrome smoothie trims for the rest of the time is the plan.  I'm happy with both these set ups and they both look really right on the car.  I've toyed with white or redline (rather than full fat walls) tyres just because, but honestly, plain black is fine.  I've no intention of painting the letters on the tyres, I'm not going in that direction.

Engine

There's nothing I want to do here either.  Leaving it standard is fine.  I'll tart up a few bits and pieces, repaint the purple bits orange or copper to match the rest, but other than that there's nothing to worry about on this front.

So there you go, that's the plan.  It's taken far longer to get here than I wanted because of circumstances but it should come together fairly rapidly visually now I have everything lined up for it.  Getting that big portion of the paint finished has been a huge boost for me.  I look at the car and I actually like seeing a good section of it looking finished, rather than half-done. It's tricky, really, to convince other folks that it'll be done one day because it's been part-done for such a long time!  There's the doubters too, of course, that don't think I'll ever finish it (and sometimes it has felt that way too), but I'm feeling much more optimistic about my chances now.

I'll be finishing the paint on this side of the car, then the face and boot lid, then the driver's side last since that needs the the most amount of fettling before paint.  The rear panel I'll do once the rest of the car is sorted out.  The bonnet, for the time being, I'm leaving completely alone. It's a huge flat panel, it's going to be an absolute chore to paint and, ideally, I need to get it off the car to do a good job since I'm going to be restricted to rattle cans on it.  I'm seriously tempted fork out to get a 70s mural airbrushed on the bonnet, I have some ideas for that I've been keeping to myself (and will continue to keep to myself), the challenge there is going to be finding an artist I can trust to do a decent job.  I don't want the bonnet mural to end up being on the receiving end of Billy's observations!

What about one of the MP3 adaptor units from ebay that include bluetooth an SD and USB slot? You'll need to run a separate amp as they don't have the output to run anything directly.

Will find an ebay link later.

Edit like this one

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/new-Car-Audio-Bluetooth-USB-SD-TF-MP3-WMA-Board-12V-Wireless-Player-WMA-Speaker/112655170227

What is it with the Chinese and those effing awful fonts on the front panel!

With Billeh in mind I'm picturing a tryptych; a stylized portrait of the owner slaving over a hot MIG to create his masterpiece, then Harris Mann, Spen King and David Bache play football with Derek Robinson's severed head, and finally a scene from that daft Princess advert with the bossman driving while his chauffeur sits in the back snogging some french bird.

Box of new paint arrived today and I was feeling considerably better than I have the past couple of days.  Unit is empty for the first time in a while too, so everything was lining up particularly well, especially since the weather hasn't been conducive to outdoor work.  To kick things off, I did the small amount of trim hole type welding on the front wing, there was considerably less of this to do than I'd expected.  Then, once that was cooled off and flatted back, it was filler time, including the most visible and annoying of the dents on the boot lid.

39893129890_3a8843bcfc_b.jpg20180425-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

40982152974_3fbd6efdae_b.jpg20180425-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The front wing has had a lot of work over the years, so it's a bit wobbly in places.  I've done my best with it, but I still need to go back and do more filler work on the sections that curve under the car, sections you only really see when you're actually under the car, so they don't matter for now.  When I'd got to the point that things were tidied up and ready for masking off, I had a little moment of inspiration with some slightly domed brown paper.  In person, if you shape it into a crude sort of bubble skirt, it lends the car a slightly Citroen/concept feel.  Consideration for another day that, I haven't the skills to be making surface-mount blind fixing compound curve lightweight spats that subtly blend from the arch flare.  Doesn't look anywhere near as right in photographs, strangely.

39893129750_16d29bff24_b.jpg20180425-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

On with the masking then.  Bit of a luxury getting to work indoors and use proper paper for this.  Unfortunately the boot badges are fixed on rather too well with the trim clips we used so I couldn't get them off, instead masking around them.  Not the ideal solution, but I'd rather that than damage the very soft metal badges.

40982152804_0e64e13984_b.jpg20180425-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

A few hours later, and some quite unpleasant hand sanding on the lower reaches of the front wing, and it's looking somewhat finished on this side now.

39893129550_7c9a25cf1b_b.jpg20180425-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

39893129330_e1922940bd_b.jpg20180425-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Pretty chuffed with that.  I'll either paint the rear wing on the other side and the face of the car next or crack on with doing the welding repairs on the front wing and doors before doing any more painting at all.  Rear panel will get painted once I get the new lights installed, there's no point putting fresh paint on that until I've done the welding in of the new inner buckets.

I've toyed with that idea (the black chin) in the past and it looks wrong.  It needs an extra bit of styling of some sort on the side of the wings to make it look like an added scoop if it's going to be black.  Just painting the upper face of it looks... well... cheap?  Not right anyway.  To other consideration is doing it red but leaving the grille surround beige so it blends in with the two-tone.  It would remove some of the stuck-out-lip look the beige gives it but I have a feeling it'll also make the lights look too small and high.