Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

1980 Austin Princess - 19/06 Mirrors

Project

• Please log in to reply
3213 replies to this topic

#2911 OFFLINE   The Reverend Bluejeans

The Reverend Bluejeans

He's a right bastard.

• Full Members
  • 7,655 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • LocationSheffield On Thames.

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:28 PM

Same reason I try to avoid the South. Theres no fun, it just makes me anxious.

• loserone, Ghosty, Squire_Dawson and 1 other like this

MASTER RACE MOTORS.

1989 F  730i. Prestigious.

1994 M 318Ti - Track whore

1998 S 323iA Touring. More shit.

​We apologise for the continued delay. Your call is still held in a queue. Please have your reference number ready for the advisor. Your call will be answered as soon as possible.

#2912 OFFLINE   Angrydicky

Angrydicky

• Full Members
  • 4,755 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:19 PM

Driving anywhere inside the M25 is a nightmare of being tailgated, cut up and pulled out in front of. Everyone's in a massive rush and no one gives you an inch. My girlfriend lives in Southall (near Heathrow) and I hate driving around there.

Essex (outside the M25) is pretty good in my experience, Kent is somewhere between the two.

Norfolk? People just drive way, way too fast (apart from the farmers in their tractors, naturally)

• purplebargeken likes this

Current fleet:

1935 Standard 12
1953 Austin A40 Somerset 
1958 Austin A55 Cambridge

1959 Austin A35 

1980 Vauxhall Royale 2.8 auto

1983 Ford Sierra 1.6 Base (1/5) 

1987 Austin Maestro 1.3L

#2913 OFFLINE   egg

egg

Just another content provider

• Full Members
  • 5,107 posts
  • 44 thanks
  • LocationDown the Bay, Kent

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:42 PM

Kent is variable

Herne Bay = sedate suited to egg style driving

Medway = drive fast everywhere

Maidstone/Canterbury = doesn't matter, you're doing 2 miles an hour anyway

• Christine, GrumpiusMaximus and dozeydustman like this

1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 base, 1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 GLX , 2002 Ford Fusion 3 1.6 pez, 1995 Mazda 323c 1.5 auto.

#2914 OFFLINE   dozeydustman

dozeydustman

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k

• Full Members
  • 758 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationChiddesterrrrrr

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:29 PM

The M25 anywhere is pretty much horrific, the section between J30 for Lakeside at Thurrock and Heathrow via the Dartford Crossing & Clackett Lane is usually dire in both directions. It has got much worse since they removed the hard shoulders, widened it to 4 lanes and made it a smart motorway, so if someone breaks down, the nearest refuge bay is normally half a mile either way so the carriageway gets blocked.

The M20 is normally reasonable but has absolutely no scenery so makes for a dull drive. The bit around Maidstone can be awful with its split sections.

Worst road I've driven on for aggressive driving and general arseholes on the road is the A34.

But we digress and going a bit OT from the post.

I'm happy to see the princess is now behaving for you Mr Vulgalour.

Dream shite.

Talbot Sunbeam 1.6 - Shove-it - Viva HC - Samba - Triumph Dolly - Triumph 2000 - Avenger - Pug 205 with a suitcase engine - AEC Mammoth Major - Hillman Hunter - Allegro - another Simca would be nice as well - any 80's Peugeot - Routemaster

#2915 OFFLINE   colc

colc

• Full Members
  • 3,622 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationZummerzet

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:09 AM

Do not let it get anywhere near the M4...you [and it] will die of boredom.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish

#2916 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,178 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:02 PM

Little job done today.  After the throttle cable wanted to be an earth strap it still worked, but wasn't exactly the smoothest operation.  To remove the cable you have to pull the cable out of the sheath so you can unclip it from the pedal, it's a bit wierd but fairly easy once you know how it works.  The old cable had warped a bit, presumably from the heat of serving as an earth cable, and wasn't particularly bendy.
40748179672_d004716c61_b.jpg20180313-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

New one fitted, cable adjusted properly at the carburettor end and smooth accelerator restored.
38980374160_7d12ac00be_b.jpg20180313-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

• eddyramrod, purplebargeken, Honey Badger and 9 others like this

#2917 OFFLINE   Felly Magic

Felly Magic

• Full Members
  • 7,373 posts
  • 33 thanks
  • LocationGippeswick, which is near the fine place called Bungay!

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:53 PM

I hope the smiles are there as you waft along in your slice of cheese. Mmmmm, wedgy

Yer can't beat a bit o' Autoshite

Felly :P

#2918 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,178 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:21 PM

Today marks the first day that I trust the car so much I didn't open the bonnet on getting home "to have a look, just in case".  I wonder what's going to break tomorrow?

• robinmasters likes this

#2919 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,178 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:45 PM

Princess is still being the daily. Every outing seems to improve things and flush even more tiny silver birch tree seeds out of the air vents. We've been out in good weather and bad and it just gets on with the job of being a car, allbeit a little slower than others until its warmed up a bit. I am hoping to start the cosmetic fettling if we ever get Spring, it keeps being too cold for painting.  Not gone anywhere today, I'm staying indoors where it's nice and warm and dry.  I suspect the Princess would like to do that too, but it can't, so tough.
25988050277_79e959ed56_b.jpg20180317-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

• danthecapriman, cms206, MarvinsMom and 1 other like this

#2920 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,178 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:51 PM

Let's fix an oil leak today.  I know Princesses are supposed to have oil leaks as part of their total loss oil rust prevention system, but I've swapped that out for underseal and welding on this car which seems to be working better for me so far.

In all seriousness, the only oil leak I was aware of since doing the big clutch work and selector rod seals was from the spade connector end of the oil pressure switch.  I'd bought a replacement switch online for a mere £4.44 delivered, it's a fairly common part on a lot of vehicles, it seems.  If you want to make life easier, remove the belts from the engine first.  I find this isn't necessary if you're careful and you can thread a 14mm open ended spanner into the gap to get to the adaptor that screws into the oil filter housing thing.

27053009418_76199ac7e3_b.jpg20180320-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

With patience, it unscrews and then you can remove the adaptor with the sender still in it.  Be sure to disconnect from the loom at the other end, of course.  You will find the oil in the filter comes out when you do this which is unavoidable because of the way things are designed.  The oil hasn't been in very long and is already looking quite dark so I'll be doing another oil change later this year I suspect.

40215860844_a3ec78ac02_b.jpg20180320-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

With the adaptor removed, pop it in a vice to make the next bit easier.  I actually find it easier to do this way rather than trying to hold the adaptor on the car and unscrew the sender from it because of access.  The sender is a 24mm spanner job.  Here I've already fitted the new one, with the old one resting in the vice gap since the thread is thinner than the adaptor, obviously.

40030642775_48b01c355d_b.jpg20180320-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Refitting the adaptor is quite fiddly but providing you take care and don't force anything, you're not going to risk damaging any threads.  I cleaned off the spilled oil with some degreaser and did the errands for the day, including sticking some fuel in.  I was surprised to see I've done over 50 miles since the last fuel up, I really didn't think I'd done that much running about over the last few days.  On getting home I had a look and there are no oil leaks.  The wetness here is water, rather than oil.

40030642535_6b79ec1d2f_b.jpg20180320-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

40030642065_1a9e1f264c_b.jpg20180320-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I'm happy with that.  The new switch works too, which I was sure to check, and I've kept the old one in a labelled box, in case of emergencies.  Perhaps a little superstition too, since I'm convinced that every time I dispose of something functional but less than perfect I end up needing it and cannot get one.

• danthecapriman, eddyramrod, Shep Shepherd and 7 others like this

#2921 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,178 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:06 PM

I'm feeling like I'm in a bit of a sweet spot with this car at the moment.  The oil leak has stayed fixed and the engine is actually drying out so it could well be there isn't another leak to worry about.  I've also found myself looking for excuses to go out in it - today's was screenwash, even though I hadn't run out and had enough for a few more weeks yet, really - because the experience of driving it is generally so positive.  The reaction of total randoms puts a smile on my face every time I go out in it.  Some people know what it is, lots don't, and generally it's met with surprise and smiles rather than jeers.

Even better, the more I'm using it the better it's getting.  Whether that's the car actually getting better as everything settles back in or me adjusting to it I'm not sure, but I do know it's not a car that likes to be left idle.  Use it every day and it's usually perfectly happy.  Leave it alone for a week or two and it can be a chore.

Oh yeah, and the MoT is on Monday.

• danthecapriman, loserone, privatewire and 17 others like this

#2922 ONLINE   plasticvandan

plasticvandan

• Full Members
  • 2,140 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:57 PM

use makes things better :-)

#2923 OFFLINE   320touring

320touring

• Full Members
  • 9,452 posts
  • 31 thanks

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:11 PM

Tremendous:)
Read about my chod based adventures here:
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

#2924 OFFLINE   Felly Magic

Felly Magic

• Full Members
  • 7,373 posts
  • 33 thanks
  • LocationGippeswick, which is near the fine place called Bungay!

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:57 PM

Good luck with the MOT and glad you are at a current winner status with the wedge

Yer can't beat a bit o' Autoshite

Felly :P

#2925 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,178 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:23 PM

Oh no, FTP!

Pulling into the unit I lost power as if I was in the wrong gear, it was very odd, and on pulling into the yard the car just DIED.  After it being so good for the last couple of weeks this was both mortifying and completely expected!  Popped the bonnet, had a look, and whenever you had it idling there would be fuel pouring out of the carb overfuel until it just... died.  Some application of a hammer to the carb got it to stop overflowing for a bit but it would quickly start again.  I just wanted to get it into the unit to pull apart suspected culprits and we made it with hammers and patience, having to push the last foot or so because it wouldn't even idle.  At least the car had the good grace to die at the unit which I was where pre-MoT stuff was being checked since it's the only day I have free until the MoT now.

That cause?  Collapsed fuel filter.  This filter hadn't looked too bad last time I'd looked under the bonnet and certainly hadn't caused issues so it wasn't on my priority list for jobs to do.  Bought the last one in stock at the local motorfactors and replacement of that was nice and straightforward.

39182839740_97ec20c779_b.jpg20180324-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

on removing the carburettor, it was clear that it the float needle was stuck and the bowl was full of orangey sediment from the filter itself.  This was confirmed when refitting everything and running the car showed the new filter to be lovely and clear and free of any sediment at all, so it's most likely not a fuel tank issue.  Took a little while to clean the carburettor out and the car was a bit recalcitrant to start again, but once it had primed properly it idled perfectly happily.  Look at this mess.  The whole carb was full of this stuff.

39182839620_9df255fa8c_b.jpg20180324-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Unfortunately that ate rather more in to the time I did have than I wanted and nixxed the plans to get the welding work done I wanted to.  With the clocks going forward and the trip to get Rover stuff tomorrow, I had to be super careful with how much time I used and my personal energy levels.  Work has had me pretty flat out lately and I don't want to burn out on non-work stuff if I can help it,  deadlines are pretty important to me like that.  The other thing that needed sorting for MoT was securing the rear suspension hoses which proved a little trickier in practice than theory.  We went with the best solution that prevented itself to us so the cables aren't flopping about but are secured in a way that they won't get overstretched when the suspension is in use.

As an aside, I really need a rear bump stop if anyone has one.  I've had zero joy through the club or online finding one and I don't have spares.  As far as I know they're not shared with other BL cars either and are a unique slotted and curved shape to accommodate the displacer unit.

40950387302_fe24582c68_b.jpg20180324-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

There simply wasn't time to weld up the 'sharp edges' at the back of the car so I went with the temporary default instead.

39182839410_351d6eb76f_b.jpg20180324-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

She's as MoT ready as she can be now.  Lights all tested fine, brakes are as good as I can get them without a rolling road thingy to double check, wipers are good, washer jets are aimed correctly now, etc.  If we fail, we fail, but we should pass.

• Asimo, chodweaver, D Spares & Tyres and 4 others like this

#2926 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 7,584 posts
  • 70 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:24 PM

Take those carbs off and rebuild them at home in the warm?
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#2927 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,178 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:40 PM

Not much point.  The carb (singular) I've got sweats through the body so it's probably knackered anyway.  I've got a spare of unknown quality off the orange car I parted out a few years ago that I keep meaning to get professionally cleaned and then rebuild it myself with a kit since there's not a lot to replace.  I'll also need a new choke cable because the old one has frayed at the end and there's absolutely no way it will go back through the hole on the the carb.  I know this from experience.

It works, that's what matters.  The only thing causing an issue really was bits of dissolving fuel filter which has now been eliminated from the system.

#2928 OFFLINE   dave21478

dave21478

• Full Members
  • 3,756 posts
  • 31 thanks
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

Might i suggest that filter is a wee bit small for a relatively large engine? Thats size is often fitted to lawn mowers and stuff...it wont really restrict the flow during normal use but the small surface area of the filter paper will clog quickly.

There are larger unversal ones like what you have, or something like a Quinton Hazell QFF0303, which is my go-to inline filter for pez engines.

• vulgalour and chodweaver like this

#2929 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,178 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:13 PM

I used to have a larger drum type one on there that was much better until it wore out, of course. I just bought what was available today.

#2930 OFFLINE   junkyarddog

junkyarddog

• Full Members
  • 1,210 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:40 PM

A dab of superglue is helpful on that last few MM of cables to stop them fraying.

#2931 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,178 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:56 PM

Bit late for that.  The end of the choke cable looks like a pile of spaghetti.

#2932 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 1,699 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationLarose, Louisiana

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:59 AM

Looks like you might benefit from a fuel filter with a sediment bowl.

FUEL-D_P1_Main.jpg

http://www.classicpa...ChoCm6YQAvD_BwE

$25, also have the advantage you can stick a strong rare earth magnet on the bottom of the filter and it'll grab anything ferrous too.

Phil
  • Banger Kenny, Dick Longbridge, vulgalour and 4 others like this
I'm a Byte Wizard. I've been told so.
131372.png

#2933 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,178 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:18 PM

A comedy of errors has meant the MoT is rebooked for Thursday.  No problems with the car, just a few unfortunate events at the garage we were heading to.  Never mind, gives me more time to get worked up about potentially failing so it feels more like a proper MoT.

• richardthestag and chodweaver like this

#2934 OFFLINE   dozeydustman

dozeydustman

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k

• Full Members
  • 758 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationChiddesterrrrrr

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:05 PM

GLWTMoT

• vulgalour likes this

Dream shite.

Talbot Sunbeam 1.6 - Shove-it - Viva HC - Samba - Triumph Dolly - Triumph 2000 - Avenger - Pug 205 with a suitcase engine - AEC Mammoth Major - Hillman Hunter - Allegro - another Simca would be nice as well - any 80's Peugeot - Routemaster

#2935 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,178 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:37 PM

Oh good, there's the pre-MoT nerves I was missing!  Was beginning to think I'd got complacent and over-confident there.

#2936 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,868 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationBuckinghamshite and Devonshite

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:59 PM

not liking nerves ^^ bit but glwt MOT :)

• vulgalour likes this

Shitroen C4 GP 2007 1.6HDi - Wife's daily written off, farewell trusty but slightly unpredictable steed

Pug 307 - son's daily runner Sold to Arthur Foxhake

Range Rover Vogue 1993 - my daily runner

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Jaguar x308 Sovereign 4 litre - nicked by Fathathestag might be up 4sayle soon

Triumph Staaag 1973 - cheaper than a mistress.. just

Range Rover 1972 - ongoing extensive restoration

Range Rover 1972 - complete shed but in line for restoration

Land Rover 1969 SIIa SWB - belongs to Fathathestag but maintained and welded by me

BMW E46 318i touring - sold to hhhugues

#2937 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,144 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:13 PM

Oh good, there's the pre-MoT nerves I was missing!  Was beginning to think I'd got complacent and over-confident there.

What were you worrying about straight through with no advisories, well done !!!!!

• richardthestag, loserone, vulgalour and 1 other like this

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

'77 Renault 7

'99 Peugeot 806 (with slightly less dents)

'08 Peugeot 207 van (with many dents)

#2938 ONLINE   loserone

loserone

Leafer

• Full Members
  • 1,850 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Locationbehind the tree

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:01 PM

Well done!

Hope you got back before the rain kicked in, that was fuggin horrible even in a modern electrical appliance
  • vulgalour likes this

405 with no head, Leaf, 206 GTI with a knackered axle, Legacy H6 Spec B.

Moaty's cat's back, Zak.

#2939 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,178 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:49 PM

MoT's are always a bit scary, especially when it's an older car and one that you've decided to rely on as a daily as I have with this one.  I couldn't really find anything amiss so I got in the car to set off in convoy with Mike only to find the dash-mounted cigarette lighter won't power the sat nav, which is a bit odd because it didn't have a problem before.  That meant convoying without knowing exactly where I was going and Mike not realising that his fuel injected straight six turbo Supra has just a little better acceleration than my carburettered straight four Princess.  The drive out was a teensy bit stressful.  As was rediscovering Princess blind spots, made worse because I couldn't take the time I would normally for fear of losing where Mike was going.

We arrived without drama, happily, and the weird chuntery hunting thing the engine has been doing was still happening.  One look under the bonnet and Scaryoldcortina noticed that one of the spark plugs was loose!  I'd checked this several times and completely missed it, when I went to tighten it up it was only finger tight.  Glad we figured out what was causing the chuntering and resolved it before an errant spark plug could cause any damage.  Princess went through the MoT first and decided not to play nice with Scary and not let him have gears without a fight, behaved perfectly fine once I got in.  This car is a character like that.
41098624991_722b74b320_b.jpg20180329-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I assumed I'd missed something somewhere really obvious and while I did get a mild ribbing for the Arrowspeed (circa 1992) tyre that's on because the Camac (second hand from a Porsche, of all things) for that corner has a leaking rim, she went and passed with flying colours.  I was actually surprised at this, I had expected an advisory on something even though we've only done a couple of hundred miles since the last MoT because of breakages.
41098624761_02b2620d74_b.jpg20180329-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

So here's to another year of happy motoring, I hope!  On the drive home we did get caught in the sleet and rain, which was less than pleasant, and the whining speedo cable is pretty annoying at motorway speeds.  Oh, and the hazard switch celebrated the pass by now not working, so I need to fix that.  Clean sheet though!  I'm really happy about that, it makes all the hard work feel like it's been rewarded properly.

Just had a flash of inspiration and looked in the fuse box. I reckon I've found my issue with the non-operational hazards and cigarette lighter.
40204386255_a27d364bca_b.jpg20180329-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr
  • richardthestag, danthecapriman, Skizzer and 16 others like this

#2940 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,987 posts
  • 41 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:56 PM

Sweet! A richly deserved pass that too.
  • vulgalour likes this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8