Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

1980 Austin Princess - 15/07 Update

Project

• Please log in to reply
3279 replies to this topic

#3271 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,380 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:47 PM

At the moment I've got the driver's door off and patiently working on the front wing filler bit so hopefully when I update tonight I'll have this side of the car looking somewhat reasonable.  Unless something goes wrong, of course.

#3272 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,380 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:20 PM

Hey look, that scabby old orange door is gone!

42693481234_1bd5105a62_b.jpg20180714-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

It was a bit of a faff, as always, to fit the door.  Fortunately Mike was here to help so getting it aligned wasn't as bad as doing it myself.  Even got it opening and closing and fitting as well as the orange door it replaced, so that's a big bonus.  I didn't get everything back on, just enough to get it operational, as I still have to fit the door mirror.  It's a bit late to be drilling holes and painting raw metal edges so I'll do that bit tomorrow, for now this is fine and will keep the weather and local cats out of the car.

42693481164_00a0e0e9ca_b.jpg20180714-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The door fit about as well as it did when it came off the car, though my repairs needed a little fine* adjustment with a rubber mallet in a couple of places.  That exposed a crack on the outer door skin, presumably where the metal is a bit thin as this isn't an area I repaired on the outside.  I'll clean it back and give it a buzz of weld when I'm at the unit next, it's not a big job.

42693481054_650177080e_b.jpg20180714-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Got the B pillar gap as good as it ever gets on this car.  Good old BL panel gaps here, not a great deal you can do about them apart from live with it.

42693480964_0e25bf2b70_b.jpg20180714-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

BEHOLD!  An opening window.  Since putting the orange door on temporarily I've not been able to open this window which, let me tell you, has not been fun in the recent warm spell we've been having!  You haven't really lived until you've driven a car with untinted glass, no air conditioning, and no windows you can operate from the driver's seat while the UK is experiencing a heatwave.  It's quite something.

28540437127_ae27c0e9e9_b.jpg20180714-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Finally, the scruffy paint blend on the front wing was tidied up properly and I got the majority of the filler work done on the back edge of the wing so it's now all nice and presentable.  I'm a bit fed up of working on doors so my attention will turn to the other jobs on the car now, rather than fixing and repainting that rear door.

42693480864_fae397d6ce_b.jpg20180714-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Tomorrow I'll get the mirror fitted to this door and the door card reinstated, then it'll be time to give it all a much needed bath.

• danthecapriman, Skizzer, fordperv and 5 others like this

#3273 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,380 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:58 PM

Today, I ended up doing some welding.  I didn't want to, but there you go.  I had gone to unbolt the nut that goes on the bottom of the driver's door mirror so I could both clean up the base easier and mark the holes for drilling in the new door easier.  Unfortunately, on the first turn of the socket it sheared the threaded end off the mirror stem without any warning nor excessive force.  Oh well, I guess that meant my easy day of fitting the mirror and washing the car would involve sweating while welding instead.  First thing I tackled at the unit was the bit of split outer skin.  This actually went very easily and when I've finished adjusting the bottom edge of the door so it sits against the sill a little nicer, I can now get all of this cleaned up and in filler properly.  For now, it's just got paint on to keep it stable.

42524287565_d281cbf09e_b.jpg20180715-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Inside the door I'd noticed, like on the orange spare, there were two stress cracks.  This is I think from the door having sagged in the past and needing to be slammed to close for years and it's the nearest weak point to the grab handle.  I don't think it's a design flaw that's caused this as the passenger side doors haven't suffered from it, just the front driver's.  Welded them both up, sloshed some paint on, but didn't waste time grinding it down since it won't be seen and this way it should be stronger.  The door handle did feel more secure after having done this, previously it felt like it had a bit of flex to it and now it doesn't.

28559014097_14cde5c8bb_b.jpg20180715-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Repairing the mirror stem was a fussy job.  I used a bolt that I ground the head down on and then welded to the stem.  There's a plastic insert this side where on the other stem it's just plain metal, and I couldn't get the insert off.  That made the job a bit more awkward since I was trying to avoid grinding or melting the plastic bit.  Still, on the second attempt I got the bolt somewhat like it needed to be and a trial fit on the bench proved it to be good enough.  I also used a nyloc nut on the bottom to prevent it coming undone as opposed to the plain nut that was there before and had rusted solid.

42524287435_3d4591a247_b.jpg20180715-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I made the decision to mount the mirror slightly further back on the door this time, which means the A pillar/gutter doesn't obscure the top inner corner now.  What I also managed to do was align the top hole in the most awkward way possible so it's nearly impossible to get a nut on the back of the bolt because it sits exactly behind the window runner guide.  The other two were much easier to access.

42524286975_49dd3f7e8c_b.jpg20180715-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

41620765680_2e957576f1_b.jpg20180715-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I also noticed the GB grille badge was not only wonky, but now loose.  To save it falling off somewhere, I popped that off and discovered it was only just held on with one of the bar clamps on the back.  The front end does look tidier without it, but I think I'll get some new fixings and reinstate it anyway because I quite like it.

42524286915_49dd3f7e8c_b.jpg20180715-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

After all that it got a quick bath to get rid of the filler dust but really, it was too hot and humid to do a decent job.  That was also the point I realised that after building up the inside of the door I'd totally forgotten to refit the moisture membrane.  A job for another day.  Happily, this front door now closes almost as nicely as the passenger front door and certainly better than it ever has before, so I'm quite happy about that.

• danthecapriman, fordperv, RayMK and 2 others like this

#3274 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 6,834 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:16 PM

This is looking great vulg keep chipping away
  • vulgalour likes this
Sir slidealot, knight of the roundabout

#3275 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,380 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:58 PM

Had another petrol station moment, this thing gets almost as much attention at the pumps as high value exotica.  I love how excited people get about seeing it so much so that I offered today's admirer a sit in the driver's seat since I needed to put a fair bit of fuel in.  He was going to turn down the offer until I asked when he'd get another chance.  I hope it made his afternoon.  Now I've got things running nicer I'm getting about 24mpg around town in it which is respectable enough for what it is.  The Fuelly shows a mere 19.8 average but that's over the entire ownership of the car with all the ups and downs and fuel loss from repairs, etc.  I can quickly get that figure up if I do some motorway miles, I just haven't had any reason to for quite some time.

In fact, I've been so happy running the Princess I've been considering indefinitely mothballing the Rover after the house move.  I can't see myself selling the Rover, I actually like it too much to do that, but I don't really miss driving it now that the Princess is behaving.  Probably best to keep it around as a back-up, just in case.

• Ben_O likes this

#3276 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 8,035 posts
  • 77 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:54 PM

This might be useful to refresh your stocks:
s-l600.jpg
https://rover.ebay.c...tm/401331219949

Using voucher code PLAY20 brings it down to £17.59 posted to your door. I can't find it for cheaper anywhere else. Only seems to be that listing of fluid that it applies to and they don't seem to have much more in the way of stock left either.
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#3277 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,380 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:40 PM

I either get Carlube or Silver Hook.  It seems to be the same product.  Carlube is cheaper at the moment but I've got 5L of Silver Hook for as little as £12 delivered before.  It's sometimes in stock at the local motorfactors too, which is handy, and I believe ECP carry the Carlube version sometimes.  It must be used in something more popular, and I've seen it listed for taxis for some reason, I'm not sure what taxi would be using it these days.

#3278 OFFLINE   Christine

Christine

• Full Members
  • 2,995 posts
  • 15 thanks

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:46 PM

(Car) Lube for Fake Taxi? :-D

#3279 OFFLINE   Noel Tidybeard

Noel Tidybeard

• Full Members
  • 3,638 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationSolihulldontchakno

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:19 PM

maybe the princesss needs a new grill badge

austin rover.jpg

• Ghosty, SiC, adw1977 and 1 other like this

07 Civic spaceship- daily
93 Renner 19 RNi- sulking
89 Sunnay L premium- hiding

Only a complete wank-puffin has a personalised licence plate on a Ford Mondeo!

#3280 OFFLINE   Ghosty

Ghosty

RELIABLE HONDA ENGINE

• Full Members
  • 7,968 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationManchester

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:12 AM

:grin: nice idea! 

Don't sell your R8. You'd regret it. Nothing like 'em, and they're getting uncommon.

1990 Rover 416GSi

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users