1980 Austin Princess

vulgalour

This is actually the sort of thing I've a decent history of being able to track down. Whereabouts roughly are you? Would be happy to drop by if in the neighborhood and see if a fresh pair of eyes turns up something that's been overlooked.

As for getting the switches back together, patience and determination are probably key. Controls like these are always a royal pain to get back together, but there's always a way.

Probably used the same switch on a plethora of BL cars too, so might be worth looking for assembly guides/diagrams for other models around the same era and seeing if one matches.

@SOC: I'm free on Sunday, I have no idea about Friday/Saturday because of project commitments so can't guarantee when I'll be about.

@Ben_O: best price.  I do have a spare, I just don't know if it's compatible, or in better condition.

I appreciate the offers of help.  I'm a bit overwhelmend with work in general at the moment so I'm a bit frazzled with stuff.  I don't want to make any plans in case I can't honour the commitments.

Can't do Sunday.  I have no idea what's happening exactly with stuff so I can make no guarantee I'll be around.  Stalk switches are still in bits and I've no idea when I'll find time to put them together at the moment.  Everything is just crazy busy right now.

The plug looks the same apart from the plastic colour but the metal plate is different and I'm not sure how much difference that's going to make to the functions.  Looks the same in every other way, but I'm thinking Keef will make better use of that one on his Maxi.

Here's mine what the metal plate looks like on mine.

post-5335-0-74164600-1506174991_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Princess update.

The suspension pipe has been repaired. It was leaking where suspected, I'm not sure how they sealed it up because it's not clear looking at it but it's been pressure tested and shows as fine so I just have to hope it's okay. They did find another leak on the pipe I wasn't aware of where it's had a bash. This area is really vulnerable when the suspension is flat, especially so if you've got to get it on a flatbed or similar. The damage was there when I got the car so I have no idea when it was done. Happily that too is now repaired and the pipe is ready to go on the car, possibly even today if it stops raining sideways for long enough.

36823131103_efd55a8c86_b.jpg20171004-07 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

37444541206_4eddbf9e99_b.jpg20171004-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Collected that after running to the tip with a Mazda Brawny full of conifer hedge, which saved us fannying about with car seats. The Brawny then decided it wanted to started leaking oil a lot so that's another job on the list which never seems to get any shorter! We suspect a propshaft seal on that one because of how its throwing the oil but didn't really have the time to check, yesterday was a bit full on.

Today, an early birthday present arrived. I had been asked what I wanted and couldn't really offer any suggestions, the things I need these days are well beyond birthday money and there's very little that I actually want. Just at that point in my life where I don't more stuff unless it's useful, helped by finally being settled after a few years of turmoil. Anyway, friends quizzed and brainstormed and eventually asked if there was anything the cars needed in budget. Of course there were things the cars needed but it's mostly big stuff like paint now so that wasn't really an option. Then we got talking about how as much as I like the rear lights on the Princess they're not quite what I want on it, close but not quite perfect...

Even though it's not for another month, happy birthday to me!

36823008733_f3332a0886_b.jpg20171004-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

1960s Ford 500 tail lights, complete bar the fixing screws and in pretty good order. This was a gamble but everyone was happy chipping in to get them knowing that they were something I really would be happy with without breaking anyone's bank account. The other excellent thing was the chap selling these refunded the excess postage and it was like a proper old fashioned eBay transaction with regular communication and the lot, one of the best eBay transactions I've ever had and certainly not what I expected these days. If you want an equally satisfying experience, head over to https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/stationstuff and see if Fred's got what you want.

First thing was to check exactly how these are wired up and what bulbs and stuff they take. The red lens has a built in reflective ring around the edge and the white lens in the middle is a reversing light as standard. All the wiring is present and looks in good shape. I intend to put the indicator (orange bulb) in the original reversing light location.

37234388420_ab7c1afef8_b.jpg20171004-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The other light socket is in the back of the bucket, this means that the light bulbs are cleverly hidden so you only get the glow, which is very appealing. There's only one socket with a bulb holder in and this would have been the brake and turn signal originally, as far as I know. There's three additional holes in the bucket, two with plastic blanking plates and one just open, I'm not sure why. I'm considering fitting an LED festoon/ring for the sidelights inside the bucket with the running/brake being the central bulb, those extra holes will make running the wiring in for that easier.

36782656894_da145b8c39_b.jpg20171004-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I did think these lights would be bigger than what was on and that too is a good thing. One pair of larger outboard lights and nothing else will look better than what's on there at the moment. I'll probably french the new lights into the rear panel slightly so they sit properly rather than fitting a tube that sticks out. I can't just flush fit them to the back panel because then they'll point at the floor, which would look rubbish, and frenching the lights into the panel isn't that difficult when it's just round shapes like this.

37234388300_c9b9fae15f_b.jpg20171004-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I could probably modify the existing frenched buckets on the car to accept the new lenses and modify the new buckets for the fittings, etc. I'd rather leave the new light units as Ford intended than chopping them about, it's likely much easier to rework the back panel than try and modify the new light units. The lens wouldn't sit this far forward, it's sat on top of the BMW light here just to demonstrate the size of it.

36782656384_df9ac4a058_b.jpg20171004-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Exciting stuff anyway

Great idea with the rear lights. These (1964?) Galaxie tail-lights are meant to look a bit like jet rockets when they're lit.

I'd be very tempted to find another set (budget permitting, of course) and have 2 sets on each side, probably not much more additional work.

One thing's for sure, this Princess is going to be one of a kind! :-)

aife8h2.jpg

I just realised I don't actually need to do any welding to fit the new lights. Had another look at the Ford buckets and I can just trim the wall off and mount lens and backing plate to the buckets already on the car. Easy peasy buttock squeazy!

That makes sense. There's similar windows on the back of the BMW units, they're really rubbish at being boot lights.

---

First part of this is for blackpopracing over on RetroRides who wanted to know what space was available around the front displacer. Answer is not a lot, I'd got that guess completely wrong which is why photos are better than memory. I was going to remove the displacer and measure the pocket to get an exact size but that's more work than I have time for today. I'd say there's at most 5mm of free space between the displacer's widest part and the wall of the pocket, I'd know for definite if I dismantled it all and measured. Certainly not the 10-15mm I thought there was. Difficult to photograph but hopefully this gives some idea of the space available.
23661460878_19305d89c3_b.jpg20171005-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

37482476822_ff1f689a72_b.jpg20171005-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

23661460478_724e904d3e_b.jpg20171005-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The main job to attempt today was fitting the hydragas pipe. Mike helped me remove it last time and it turned out to really be a two person job if I didn't want to dismantle large portions of the car. I was hoping I could get at least part-way on my own today while Mike's at work. Because I needed to be in two places at the same time I comandeered some blue rope to hold the engine bay end of the pipe and hold it in place in the hope that I could then wiggle the pipe into location underneath the car.
37482476552_1a64eb6771_b.jpg20171005-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

That worked moderately well until I got to this point. The car dumped a big splodge of oily grime directly into my eye, somehow bypassing my specs which didn't put me in the best mood while I was trying to get the flexible repair section through the awkward gap. I also realised the schrader valve hadn't been removed from the block which I needed to do to remove the pipe and on looking in my toolkit I was reminded that's the one size of spanner I don't have and the one deep reach socket I do have that fits isn't deep enough.
23661460108_cb684a5e6e_b.jpg20171005-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

It's one of those jobs where you'd swear the car changed shape between having the pipe removed and the refitting attempt. The main obstacle is the steering rack because the pipe has to feed up behind it and that means getting around some really tight bends that you can't actually see while you're trying to navigate the pipe. It's likely that the pipe was one of the first things attached to the bodyshell looking at the way everything is layered and that means refitting one is always going to be really involved. Here's the gap I've got to navigate which I can't actually get myself into a position to see laid on my back on the driveway. This view is also obscured from the engine bay side by things like the exhaust manifold and carburettor
37482476222_3b234359ef_b.jpg20171005-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Got out the relevant sockets and extensions to remove the steering rack bolts, or at least loosen them enough to have some wiggle room for the pipe. The first thing I found is that access is atrocious, the second that I don't have the right combination of extensions and wiggly bits to really get tools in properly and the third that I haven't the Herculean strength required to undo these bolts since I haven't the access to get a decent sized lever in to help.
36803427764_b5977b9347_b.jpg20171005-07 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Brilliant. That concludes this update where I achieve nothing other than learning about a lot of annoying obstacles. I'm sure with an extra pair of hands this job will be only slightly irritating so I'll wait until Mike isn't busy so he can help, which could be several more weeks with what he's got on lately.

Sod's law.  I doubt it would have made much difference, it was a right ballache to get this pipe off and took far longer than it should so I'm pretty sure it would have taken more time than either of us had today to get it back on the car.  I'm not in a rush, it's nearly winter weather now anyway and I didn't want to run the Princess through this winter until I knew everything was sorted, which it isn't yet.  We'll get there one day.