1980 Austin Princess

vulgalour

I'm okay with it, in theory, since creators at all levels of success have their work stolen and used without permission.  There are certain circumstances that are less difficult to police properly.  Use of the songs in this video was not deliberate, it was incidental to what was happening and background noise *however* it was also very clear and easy to hear so in this instance I don't think implementation of copyright infringement was unfair.  We consume so much media in our day to day lives we often forget someone, somewhere, created it.

The difficulty comes with setting boundaries on fair use.  Further down the line, a video like this would be a great snapshot of 'days gone by' and the music on the radio is very much part of that, to eliminate it is to eliminate part of what life was like.  Additionally, my video wasn't posted for profit so again, I'd consider the radio fair use in this instance, but perhaps that's cancelled out by Youtube potentially profiting somehow from it.

Annoyingly, when Youtube algorithms suggest things I might like I'm now getting quite a few of those bizarre machine-generated nursery song videos, I suspect it's the word "Princess" that's done it.

Something to do with the lenses in the dashcam, front one is a fish-eye and the rear one is a zoom.

I'm feeling much better today so I'm going to attempt to give it a bath and then, if we can find which safe place we put the rivets, I'll get the side trim reinstated that I took off shortly after getting the car back when I thought my only problems were going to be rust related.

Gorgeous looking day outside today, I was hopeful I might even get a little paintwork done.  Went outside and it's FREEZING.  How is it so cold and yet so lovely?  Anyway, today I wanted to reinstate the stainless trims I removed shortly after getting the car.  The trims were removed in a cosmetic rust-busting exercise back when I thought that was all that was wrong with this car... how wrong I was.  Anyway, since I'm now finally at a point where I thought I was starting from when I bought it, I almost have that same excitement of being able to tinker and improve visually without fear of big problems ruining anything.

I'd wisely saved the crusty, rusty  old trim clips that I removed all those years ago, against the advice of some who supposedly knew better and told me I wouldn't need them.  This was a good thing because it meant I could measure them and compare them against the Marina/Mini clips Bresco are supplying.  You can find them here: http://bresco.com/acatalog/For-8.8mm-moulding-flange-gap.-BL-Marina-wheel-arch-and-Mini.-37151P.html#SID=29

To figure out what size you need, measure the gap between the return flanges on the back of the stainless trim, in the Princess' case that's 8.8mm.  The trim clips themselves measure 10mm wide.  The difference in size is of course to allow the trim clips to spring into the cavity of the trim and hold everything snug.  There's a number of ways you can attach the trim clips to the car, originally mine were held on with rivets and I saw no reason not to repeat this, so out with my trusty old Wilkinson hand rivetter which has been one of my better tool purchases over the years, and some additional tools.

40434790452_d49b5e176f_b.jpg20180225-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

On trying to fit the first rivet I found the nose on my rivet gun was too big and it just pulled the rivet up and out of the hole.  I improvised with a tiny nut which served as a perfect spacer.  When you install the rivets, the trim clip goes against the car body, then the bobble end of the rivet is inserted into the hole, then the nut spacer, then the gun goes on the long stalk which it grabs and pulls out.  Once the rivet is tight enough, the gun automatically snips off the excess rod and the job is jobbed.  It's a really neat tool, very satisfying to use.

39767549014_bc7346a07c_b.jpg20180225-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

18 trim clips later, and the trim was installed.  I say that...  it was a little more difficult.  I should perhaps have done this on a warmer day, the trim only really snapped into place once I'd handled them enough to warm up a bit.  The new clips are a much tighter fit than the rusty old ones too, so it was hard work to get them sat in place.  The very corner trim clip on the C pillar section has had the hole drilled out larger on both sides, I don't know why, so I had to use an extra tiny washer on the back for the rivet to squash against rather than pulling straight through everything. This worked well on the driver's side...

40434790352_5c3e48b867_b.jpg20180225-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

On the passenger side, not so much.  As soon as the trim was clipped on it just pinged the trim clip off by pulling the rivet through everything.  I guess the head on this rivet didn't squash quite large enough to stay on the right side of the tiny washer.  It's secure, just not lined up perfectly on the corner.  I'll redo this when it's a warmer day, too cold to be faffing with it today!

40434789972_f5b9ea80b7_b.jpg20180225-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

It is nice to see the waist trim back on completely now.  It has bugged me for a while that those three pieces (C pillar each side, and boot lid) have been missing.

39767548774_537c635e8c_b.jpg20180225-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Another job I'd put off forever was replacing the spare tyre strap that came with the car.  All the while I've had it, the strap has had a pin holding it together which is really good at stabbing you when trying to get the spare out.  I've had a new strap since breaking the orange car several years ago, I've just had so many other jobs to resolve, it never got done.

39767548304_09ef0d4b88_b.jpg20180225-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The replacement isn't perished either and seems to fit nicer.  It's certainly nice not to get stabbed when you handle it!  It was a simple matter of undoing one 13mm bolt that holds the strap to the boot floor, so I've really had no good excuse for putting this off for so long.

40434789832_d9fcf2277f_b.jpg20180225-07 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I bought a NOS speedo cable described as "Un used in box".  What arrived was a speedo cable broken exactly the same as mine with grease on each end and witness marks from it being removed from a car at least once. Super.  Improvised by using the sat nav and when I got to Tesco in the car today, the mount broke again so I had to improvise even more!  This worked surprisingly well.  Yes, that is an antique TomTom.

39767548124_87e1e2672a_b.jpg20180225-08 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I'm still doing the "what's that smell/noise/imagined sensation?" thing you do with a car that's new to you.  It's performing well enough, all the same.  I'll gradually increase my trip distances and frequencies as I get more confident.  I dislike not having a working speedometer, that bugs me quite a bit, once my invoices are paid I can get another cable ordered, they mostly seem to be £10-20 when they do crop up.  I'll just have to be more cautious if the photograph doesn't show the all-important locking tang.

Seller has actually been pretty reasonable about it so far.  Refund in progress.  Everyone makes mistakes I suppose.

----

Day... 2 or 3 of using it daily now and things are steadily improving, which is nice.  Dashboard controls have all woken up properly now, heater is lovely and toasty and the interior is staying nice and dry, this is all good stuff.

Driver's door is still annoying me, there's definitely a knack to it.  The hinge pins I have might not be the ones I need to replace though since it looks like it might be the skinny pins that have play, not the fat ones.  I'm hoping to get the door off this weekend to investigate properly since it will be easier to investigate the hinge with the door removed.

I suspect the car is running a little lean.  We did have to adjust things to compensate for the cone filter and I haven't adjusted it back and even though it has been very cold today, a little choke was needed all the time to stop the car being chuntery at idle.  It could also just be stale fuel, I put some fresh in today and that did seem to perk things up a bit so before I fiddle with things too much I'm going to work on waking the systems up instead.

On my way back home today, setting off from a junction briskly (because it's one where you have to) the boot decided to fly open.  Queue flashing of lights from person behind me and me pulling into a layby to shut the boot again.  It isn't the first time the Princess has done this, last time it did it with a boot full of shopping.  Normally locking the boot stops it doing it, but the boot was locked this time so I guess it needs further adjustment somewhere.

I also noticed on pulling into our street that there was what sounded like a slightly grumbly disc or front pad.  The brakes didn't feel particularly broken or off in any way so I'm wondering if it's just a little surface rust or similar from the car being stood a while, or maybe some dirt.   I couldn't see anything readily apparent, nothing is hot and the car isn't pulling to one side under  braking, but I'll get the wheel off and have a look at some point soon.  I've never actually done anything with the front brakes on this car (other than bleeding them for routine maintenance) as I've never needed to, but they've never offered cause for concern before.

It is a harder car to live with than the Rover, that much is for sure.  There are some benefits, people generally give me space where in the Rover they can bully a bit and the Princess is big enough that I never feel particularly vulnerable.  The only exception is parking, the Princess is a tough old thing to haul in and out of supermarket parking spaces, especially with the lack of power steering, so low speed maneuvers have to be done slowly and with effort, especially so since it has a gigantic turning circle.  Not everyone has patience with this.  It's also weird getting used to first for only setting off and second for pretty much everything else, the gearing is very oddly spaced compared to more modern stuff and definitely aimed more at motorway loping than stop-start traffic.  I'd like a fifth gear.

Overall I'm happy enough.  I'm not sure how many miles exactly I've done since getting everything working again because of the duff speedo, I'd guess it's about 60 or so by now.

Great to see this finally doing some miles for you Vulg.  Think you're exactly right that cars need to be given some time to wake up, components free up with use, stale fuel gets flushed through and so on.  Maybe a longer road trip with some fast sections would help things along?

Princess is having to live outdoors at the moment because of the ongoing shed saga meaning I can't put her in the garage where she belongs.  Makes for a good photo opportunity with the snow that's happened at least.  Started on the 26th when some came down enough to stick, which I found out when going out to see if I'd left my phone in the car... I hadn't, and just ended up with cold feet as a result.

26669180068_aa4c5b75e0_b.jpg20180226-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The next day was one of those lovely bright clear ones that was also bitterly cold.

26669189568_f8bc3fb78d_b.jpg20180227-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Fortunately I haven't had to go out anywhere, work has been keeping me at my desk and the cupboards are well stocked, which is fortunate given the weather.  I haven't the greatest confidence in the Princess' snow abilities on the current tyres and our little housing estate is never gritted or cleared.  The Rover isn't much better really, the tyres it wears are next to useless on snow.  Winter tyres are a luxury I haven't been able to afford, something to aim for next winter as I know they make a surprising difference to handling and stopping and I do have enough spare sets of wheels to accomodate them.  It's been snowing pretty much all day on and off today.  I did clear the drive of snow and ice only for it to snow again and fill up what I'd cleared,  at least there's no ice to break my limbs on now.  We're expecting more snow and have an Amber warning for our area so I'm just hoping I don't need to venture out until it's all cleared up again at this point.  Looks pretty though.

40540344541_a721368187_b.jpg20180228-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

40497802422_658177e82e_b.jpg20180228-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Had a little bit of thundersnow last night and a few more inches of snowfall.  I like how quiet everything is, all that irritating background noise of other people doing things and the constant buzz of traffic gone.  All the other little noises muffled away by a blanket of chilly white stuff.  Fine for me in my nice toasty house, not so much for the homeless, of course.

39659141605_18ef2cac41_b.jpg20180301-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

38744178010_c70ba19b10_b.jpg20180301-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

39659141535_18ef2cac41_b.jpg20180301-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Nearly 8" of snow now and we're forecast for more

Today has been parcel day and in some of those parcels were things for the Princess.  First to arrive was another nodding tiger.  Long term readers will remember the one I repainted after the sun through the back window destroyed the flocking on it.  The sun through the back window has destroyed the paint on it too!  I think I'm going to get a super light UV tint of some sort on the back window, I can't be having that.  Anyway, I'm now the owner of two lumpen nodding tigers, but they shan't be going back in the car until I do something about that back window.

40633362522_09bf79edde_b.jpg20180307-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

39965205024_a0b087e78d_b.jpg20180307-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

39780204495_33a2d945ec_b.jpg20180307-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Next to arrive was the speedo cable, this time one still in its original packaging and with all the protective caps intact, something I've not seen before with one of these items.  It literally is as new.  The listing I bought it from even showed a cross reference for the part so I could confirm it was definitely for my car so I was fairly confident it would fit.

39965204774_2d31854d5f_b.jpg20180307-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

40633362322_bf8428ec62_b.jpg20180307-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

39965204194_b35fe978b8_b.jpg20180307-07 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Unlike the cable on the car - itself a replacement to the one that was on the car when I bought it - the end of this new one has a plastic reducer rather than just ending in a metal piece.

39965204614_d0258b8b4e_b.jpg20180307-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

There were a few discrepancies between the two cables.  The new cable is slightly longer, has a slightly different casting on the gearbox end screw, has a slightly different profile to the drive at the gearbox end, has a larger gromit (that actually fits the hole in the bulkhead), and has a plastic reducer piece at the speedo end.  That said, it does fit perfectly fine and was actually much easier to located in the binnacle since I actually had a bit of cable to use.

39965204074_b94485f1c7_b.jpg20180307-15 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

A quick test drive shows that  it works perfectly fine.  I also found out why the other brake light was out, which is simply that the bulb had somehow fallen out of the holder so I put it back in where it belongs.  The other thing to arrive today is the new downpipe.  It is pristine, with undamaged flanges, straight downpipes, an intact gearbox stay bracket and a flexi joint that actually flexes about!  I'm really hoping this resolves the exhaust issue.

39780203935_db917420a6_b.jpg20180307-08 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

39965204254_db917420a6_b.jpg20180307-09 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

40633362182_d11c681587_b.jpg20180307-10 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Other thing I checked when I got home was for any oil spots under the car and there just isn't anything at all.  I find this incredibly strange.  Removing the old speedo cable and fitting the new one also didn't end up with me covered in oily sludge.  All very odd.

I probably shouldn't have tried to do the exhaust today, I'm not quite over this cold so lots of fun coughing fits were had and Mike ended up doing rather more of the job than was perhaps fair as a result.  Also, I forgot my camera, so was relying on my phone which isn't that good.  Anyway, enough of me whinging, what did we do?  Old exhaust off and after rather a lot of effort, the single slip joint was split so we could compare old and new downpipe sections.  Happily they are both the same.  Offering up the new one for dry-fitting and it pretty much fell exactly into place, a far cry from what we were dealing with before!

Rejoining the two halves of the exhaust proved rather more difficult since both halves are aftermarket and the central slip joint required about an inch taking off the new pipe so the join would actually sit in the correct place.  You do expect this sort of thing when you're mixing and matching parts, so it wasn't too much grief.  As it happens, the front manifold joints that also used to be impossible to seal actually sealed really easily.  It was as if the parts I had were actually supposed to fit together! Clamps tightened and minimal exhaust paste used just in case.  It was not a chore to align, this was very strange.

Mike spent some time making a new stay bracket from the once I'd fashioned some time ago for the old exhaust since all that was left of the car's original was this.

40652752082_39cd76441c_b.jpg20180308-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

That's supposed to be a bent shape so it can clamp to the C clamp the exhaust came with.  Our bracket is a little crude but it works, it should also help prevent the manifold joint from splitting, especially in combination with the better flexi this pipe has.

25824045157_4e7267d931_b.jpg20180308-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

With everything on and double checked under there it was time to start the car.  I did find an oil leak, though very minor, which is from the end of the oil pressure switch I suspected was leaking.  We suspect there might be another minor leak somewhere, but it was hard to tell if it was wicking back from the oil pressure switch or creeping along the  water splashed up from driving on wet roads.  I'll replace the switch and then we'll know for definite.  Also, I'd forgotten a new clip was fitted to the CV boot that I thought had one missing, so that's one less job to worry about.

39799949625_f9ecd2dcc2_b.jpg20180308-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Set the car back on the ground, started it up and... it's quiet.  It's *really* quiet.  It's never been this quiet all the years I've owned it.  The exhaust rattle is now gone too, still not sure what that was knocking on but I'm glad it's not now.  On the drive home the speedo packed in again, which was a little odd.  I could hear it clicking against something as I was driving though so when I got home I checked and it looks like I hadn't quite clicked it home on the speedo properly, once unplugged and plugged back in again, it's working normally.

Princess is now in better health than at the last MoT.  That gives me the warm fuzzies.  Providing I get a pass at test time (and I don't see why I won't), I should just have those tiny bits of welding to things like the door bottoms to do and paintwork now.  This is where I've wanted to be with this car for ages, it feels good.

Today has been parcel day and in some of those parcels were things for the Princess.  First to arrive was another nodding tiger.  Long term readers will remember the one I repainted after the sun through the back window destroyed the flocking on it.  The sun through the back window has destroyed the paint on it too!  I think I'm going to get a super light UV tint of some sort on the back window, I can't be having that.  Anyway, I'm now the owner of two lumpen nodding tigers, but they shan't be going back in the car until I do something about that back window.....

Maybe a third one hanging from the fuel filler cap?

...Other thing I checked when I got home was for any oil spots under the car and there just isn't anything at all.  I find this incredibly strange.  Removing the old speedo cable and fitting the new one also didn't end up with me covered in oily sludge.  All very odd.

Possibly because it's colder now?

That nodding tiger is just asking for red LED eyes, maybe movement activated or wired into the tail lamps. And get him a bobble hat knitted.

I didn't know you could get nodding tigers. I'd like a nodding philosopher for the Citroën, because French.