Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

Took a quick turn through St George's Market in Belfast this morning, to procure some scones for a team coffee morning...

Of course, on the way back out I walked past THIS lot

20190111_085533.jpg

HNNNNGGG...

20190111_091236.jpg

20190111_091245.jpg

Mostly smashed-up Superfasts and Corgi Juniors, to be fair, and a lot of the regular-wheel Lesneys were either badly painted with Humbrols or lacking glazing, roofs etc but still - HNNNNGGGG

To make matters worse, I only had £1.35 in my pocket after buying the scones, and no ATM for miles...

So regretfully, I had to leave these four - Husky Bedford TK, Majorette Citroen DS Ambulance, Zylmex Datsun Pickup and Majorette Saab 900

20190111_091229.jpg

BUT I did find this pair irresistable:

20190111_092258.jpg

Mira Citroen CX 2400 Pallas

20190111_092310.jpg

20190111_092315.jpg

20190111_092327.jpg

Not bad overall nick, although the glazing is annoyingly cracked - but it's mostly just dirty. Looks a pretty detailed casting, and I may remove the tatty Centro Medico decals as I think they detract rather than add to it.

And a Lone Star 'Impy' Range Rover, which is a new one on me:

20190111_092335.jpg

20190111_092344.jpg

20190111_092406.jpg

The broken rear axle mount can be bodged (I've previously used cut-up strips of old bank cards with some success) and it looks a much more accurate casting of the Mk1 Rangie than either of the Matchbox and Corgi versions.

I know I promised to curb my opportunistic diecast hoovering, but I'm proper pleased with these. Though it goes without saying, if anyone on here wants them then I'll be delighted to rehome them for cost of postage only...

20190111_092419.jpg

On 1/11/2019 at 11:31 AM, eddyramrod said:

If you really want a DS ambulance, look no further ;)  I unpacked one the other day.  Anything else you fancy?

Heh, cheers but to be honest I'd only have picked up the DS Ambulance to offer out on here anyway!

I had a massive bucket of Matchbox sized stuff which I sold through here last year; I only kept those toys I felt really attached to from my childhood (so a good couple of hundred). All the more recent acquisitions have been admired for a short time then disposed of - what I really collect is more recent 1/43 stuff, but somedays (today) I just can't help myself...

The fella at the same stall did have a 1/43 Opel Calibra, though... so I might have to slip back at lunchtime...

Well, I went back to the market at lunchtime.

Obviously.

Because I am an imbecile, I was actually surprised that my plum finds, that ones that I'd photographed and then left right on top of the heap, were now gone. Gone!

I just don't think strategically at all. I should have buried them right at the bottom if I thought there was any chance I might come back for them, but no. This is why I am very, very easy to beat at chess.

A bit of hoking did however uncover the aforementioned Datsun 620 Pickup by Zylmex, in pretty clean condition and complete with rear canopy - even if the wheels are a bit rubbish and it's not quite as good a rendering of the 620 as Hot Wheels' more recent offering.

20190111_141346.jpg

20190111_141352.jpg

20190111_141402.jpg

There was quite a lot of plasticky no-name Far Eastern crap in the boxes, the kind I used to wheedle my parents into buying me from 50p shops back in the day, so it's probably not surprising it was overlooked as it's NOT Matchbox/Corgi/Majorette/HotWheels/Siku M8. The fact this was still priced at 50p nearly forty years on probably says a lot.

This oddity had also came under my notice earlier: a 1982 Dodge Aries K-series sedan, that looks like some sort of Greenlight/Johnny Lightning 'adult collectible' model.

20190111_141251.jpg

20190111_141257.jpg

20190111_141305.jpg

There's no maker indicated underneath, beyond '© DCC 2007', so if that means anything to anyone, do let me know. Daimler Chrysler Company mebbe? Something about DC Comics, even? Is this Batman's WBOD?

I bought this principally because it's screwed together rather than riveted, and may make a reasonably straightforward resto project whenever I get a workbench set up in the new shed, since it's worth bog-all but might look presentable enough with a fresh coat of paint.

I'd seen the bare shell of an MB57 Trailer Caravan in one of the boxes earlier, and discarded it as just another broken/ incomplete Matchbox, but only when I looked more closely at the pictures after uploading did I realise that the interior was also kicking around loose:

20190111_091236 (2)_LI.jpg

So I found the shell again, and located the interior and then - what's this? - well well, the roof was also in there, way down the bottom among the loose wheels and trailers or indeterminate manufacture.

20190111_141151.jpg

Voilá! A complete caravan. There seems to be superglue or something on the roof, but hey.

20190111_141158.jpg

20190111_141215.jpg

20190111_141237.jpg

There were two later 70's Superfast caravans and a Corgi Jrs caravan also in there, and I nearly bought the lot - possibly with the vague intention of making my fortune through setting up a holiday park for bluebottles - but managed to restrain myself.

What I didn't resist was this messy-looking Corgi Juniors Volvo 245DL.

20190111_141314.jpg

20190111_141319.jpg

20190111_141337.jpg

No, it's not an especially good model, and yes, I already have one in my nostalgia box (in red), but there's a curious tale here.

When I was about four, I had a dream that I was at the swings in the local park, when some men came along and started digging a hole right in front of the swings area. Then I realised that they were filling the hole with toy cars, intending to cover it back over again.

I became enraged and upset, and tried to get them to stop doing this, but they kept chasing me away. Eventually I managed to dodge them and grabbed two of the cars out of the hole, before running away.

I suddenly awoke, confused, and for some reason thought that I still had the cars in my hand - I could feel them - and then couldn't understand why I didn't. Which caused more upset, and frantic searching under the bedclothes, before I made the connection that no matter how much I wanted it, I couldn't take things out of dreams with me.

One of the cars was a cream Corgi Volvo estate. The other was a yellow Matchbox Datsun 126X. Finally, I have my cream Volvo estate, 35 years on.

Who says dreams don't come true?

Oh yes, and I also bought the 1/43 Calibra, which was the ostensible reason I went back!

20190111_141425.jpg

20190111_141431.jpg

A boxless Del Prado magazine partwork so not brilliantly detailed, and there's a few marks here and there which may come out with a bit of gentle rubbing with T-Cut or similar - but hey, he only charged me £2 for it, so my tears will dry.

So yeah. A fiver for the lot. Reckon that's not too shabby.

20190111_141521.jpg

Cheers dude, and yes a new home will be on the cards for the CX (which is a pleasantly heavy casting) - I might give it a bit of a clean and admire it on my desk for a few weeks before I punt it over your way, yeah? Consider it yours (eventually)!

Actually, it's just struck me that I should probably hoke out the dregs of last year's Grand Clearance Sale and pop them up here, just in case there's anything else that might appeal to anyone.

Phoar, Ritmo and 131 Abarth. Niiiice!

I think I had that 131 in the yellow and blue colourway, but sadly those Bburagos seem to didn't stand up to my play scenarios (which appeared to involve an awful lot of high speed crashes, IIRC) - did yours fare any better?

They didn't survive with us either, sorry to say. Not sure quite what happened to them, but they're not with me. Typical my brother got the sporty one, a tradition that exists to this day with full size shite...

This photo was taken at my grandparents house, and as it is summer expect they were a post-holiday gift from them.

Phoar, Ritmo and 131 Abarth. Niiiice!

I think I had that 131 in the yellow and blue colourway, but sadly those Bburagos seem to didn't stand up to my play scenarios (which appeared to involve an awful lot of high speed crashes, IIRC) - did yours fare any better?

I had the Bburago XR3, my parents threw it away after it losing a wheel. Painful memories.

The 1982 Dodge Aries K-series sedan look's like a Motor Max "Fresh Cherries" series. I've got a identical one somewhere and another in a different colour but also have a pair of Dodge Omni's too. I have this one pictured to hand. Picked them up from TK Max about 6/7 years ago for £3 each. Found these are also available in 1:24/1:25 scale on ebay last year.

post-3802-0-06483900-1547246748_thumb.jpg

Me and my brother had a corgi Volvo Estate too. Think ours was white in a Castrol Oils Livery with a Roof Rack?

The 1982 Dodge Aries K-series sedan look's like a Motor Max "Fresh Cherries" series. I've got a identical one somewhere and another in a different colour but also have a pair of Dodge Omni's too. I have this one pictured to hand. Picked them up from TK Max about 6/7 years ago for £3 each. There also both available in 1:24/1:25 scale too. Found them on ebay last year.

attachicon.gif20190111_222517.jpg

Me and my brother had a corgi Volvo Estate too. Think ours was white in a Castrol Oils Livery with a Roof Rack?

I've got one of those,this was when Corgi used to throw all sorts of stuff together.A friend of mine has a Volvo Estate in Royal Mail livery  :shock:

KQdQUYO.jpg