Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

Thanks!

It put up quite a fight to get it apart. No, really. Due to the inherent warpage, the entire model was stressed, which made it extremely

difficult not to break anything. Those old Norevs do become brittle over the decades!

Getting the paint off was easy enough, but it had made the plastic matt. Cue hours and hours of polishing here.

When I wanted to remove the red paint from the tyres, the black came off as well - turns out they are white and the black is painted on.

So I had no other choice than to paint them all black.

I also soaked the chrome pieces and rechromed them with Molotow pens.

Then there was the headlight issue.

I had to sand the red paint off, then replicate the original tint using very much thinned Tamiya clear yellow with a drop of clear green,

then coated them with Tamiya clear, after which they wouldn't fit back into the body, so I had to sand a few molecules off the circumference.

However, considering I only paid 1 Pound for it and it now turned out to be the best example I have seen in years, I think it was well worth it.

And yes, I'm damn proud of it.

And yes, I'm damn proud of it.

So you should be man - that is one hell of a job which I have only just begun to appreciate.... 

it looks like I remember them.

What it's all about for me.....I know many on here collect actual models but I still unashamedly refer to mine as toys.  If I wanted a scaled reference 2CV it wouldn't be a Norev.   As a symbol of past childhood wantage, however, that's a totally different matter.....

Agreed, I always got excited if I found an old plastic Norev at a Swapmeet.

I used to have a Fiat 1100 or 1500 (I cant remember now) which seemed a lot earlier than the others I had.

I also had: Renault 5, Citroen Ami Break, 2x Renault 12s' Renault 6 and Peugeot 504.

I sold all but one Renault 12 and the 6 as they are both boxed, wish I'd kept them all.

They seem quite variable in character. Those pictured above, especially the 4 are an absolute joy, especially the opening rear door, but my 12 isnt great. All 4 doors open but only the bottom halves and the front lights are too narrow. The 6 on the other hand is fantastic, everything opens, including door frames and all the seats adjust in some way! I bought it at a Swapmeet for what must have been about 3 or 4 pounds 25 years ago (mum's limit was a fiver) when these would have been very forgotten cars in Scotland!

post-3238-0-48430000-1517128983_thumb.jpg

post-3238-0-21229300-1517129020_thumb.jpg

They just are unlike any other toy cars ever made and thus have their own twisted charm.

The earlier ones can warp badly, which I didn't appreciate, but lately the more grotesquely warped they are,

the more I like them just for that.

That R6 is made from the later non warping plastic, which is semi translucent in return.

Those superfast wheels don't help models weighing three grams one little bit, which makes Norev's decision

to use them quite bizarre.

I think I may have mentioned this before but today I dug out what is my favourite Majorette item of all time.

It's one I've always been fond of too. Mine was bought in France back in 1980:

post-79-0-24028300-1517168756_thumb.jpg

Just noticed that the bonnet says Chrysler but the tailgate and baseplate say Simca - are they all like that?

Managed to get one more Majorette in today's selection from the local toyfair:

post-79-0-83230700-1517168001_thumb.jpg

No opportunities to add anything to my Corgi or boxed Superfast collections (not at reasonable price anyway) but I'm happy enough with this lot.