Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

I set myself the rule I have to own/have owned or had it as a company car for it to join my model collection, that has keep my model collection to a manageable size, unlike the real thing!

Back at the beginning of May I purchased a real Lancia Gamma Berlina and a local model supplier in Brackley has been canvassing me to supply my models. I contacted him and he said he could get me one at what seemed like a reasonable price so I ordered. I waited weeks and then was told he had mistakenly ordered a Beta in spite of my order being in writing and pictures of the real car emailed. He then said he could get me the Gamma but at twice the price. All along I could have one bought in from Italy at only a little more than his first price. I am still waiting for the refund 11 days after he agreed to do so.

The good news is the one from Italy has arrived in good condition.

My next dilemma is I have bought a real 2002 Skoda Octavia hatchback in white, the only MK1 models I can find are estates or rally cars. I have found a white Mk2 which to the untrained eye is a much better representation of my car at a glance. Which should I get?

post-4787-0-45141100-1500379042_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-60994600-1500379056_thumb.jpg

Aye, and if that Dinky Gift Set is the Goodwood one I will probably do the same.....

It is the Goodwood  Gift Set and I've owned it from new. My nan gave me Co-Op tokens for Xmas when I was a young wee thing, think it was 10 bob's worth i.e. 50p. I was in the Co-Op in Woolwich and saw the gift set but it was more than 10 bob and my mum wouldn't give me the extra. However I told the staff person that it was obsolete and should be marked down. Amazingly that ploy worked and it came home with me! I have to confess that I painted the MGB black so I've just bought a replacement plus I also had a habit of painting the underside of my models black for some reason, guess it was underseal, lol. The figures aren't in the box but I do have them somewhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there also appears to be an Edil Toys Alfa 105/115 and a Märklin Ford Osi.

Apart from the Politoys Corvette Rondine, Ferrari 250 GT Lusso and Opel Admiral, that's all.

It's actually a Politoys Alfa 105, had it from new. The Ford Osi I bought recently from Ebay (which I cannot get to open today for some reason) and it was about 20 quid mint and boxed. Foreign models were really hard to find and expensive back in the 60's and early 70's, I remember that my local model raceway shop, Eltham Models, had quite a few but they were about three or four times the price of a Dinky so I really had to save to buy one. I also recall a family day trip to Calais and I bought quite a few French Dinky, Norevs etc and sort of smuggled them back into Blighty much to my mum's concern. 

So when are you opening this museum to the public?

Visitors are welcome by appointment, lol. I have no problem letting people enjoy the collection as I do if it gives them pleasure. I need to get more display units though as I do have rather more stuff especially Yanks and racing cars. And some Japanese and Aussie models. Just takes time and pounds.

It's actually a Politoys Alfa 105, had it from new. The Ford Osi I bought recently from Ebay (which I cannot get to open today for some reason) and it was about 20 quid mint and boxed. Foreign models were really hard to find and expensive back in the 60's and early 70's, I remember that my local model raceway shop, Eltham Models, had quite a few but they were about three or four times the price of a Dinky so I really had to save to buy one. I also recall a family day trip to Calais and I bought quite a few French Dinky, Norevs etc and sort of smuggled them back into Blighty much to my mum's concern. 

Funnily* enough it was the other way around where I grew up. Corgis and Dinkys were expensive, but the French, Italian and German stuff cost nothing.

However, since I was only ever interested in GB wares and yanks back then, I have precious little euro chod.

I've gone and bought that Airfix Quickbuild VW T1 Camper, it's not too bad, has an opening engine cover, sad bit, bloody stickers were missing, one phone call to Hornby, and an apologetic gent in the technical dept says a set will be in the post to me. Bizarrely though it is left hand drive, but with right hand drive side door set up, and you can build it with the suspension at 2 heights for that slammed pineapple look

Warning, Pineapple! Airfix Veedub camper. There is room inside it and Lego comparable studs to make extra fittings. Sadly Airfix cannot supply me with the missing decals, and said sent it back to where I bought it, like bollocks am I going to pay postage to send it back to Hornby in Kent, so just using Sharpies to detail it up, and when I get a new printer and my comp fixed, will make reg plate decals, it's now minus bumpers, and lowered for much Pineappleness, you can also give it a suspension lift by adding Lego 2x4 plates for the ultimate anti scene look! Tempted to fit a Lego tow hitch and make a trailer for it, as it will be a doddle to fit one. It has an opening engine cover too, it is a reasonable kit, just a bonkers scale, will snap with the blue bug later, which also has a light pineapple being de bumpered, sadly that can't be built slammed  :-(  . I hope Hornby add more older stuff to this range in the same scale, such as the proper Mini

post-5211-0-09176400-1500775111_thumb.jpg

post-5211-0-98570500-1500775487_thumb.jpg

post-5211-0-26910700-1500775503_thumb.jpg

Soooo.....I raided my piggy bank as I was offered something rather special and rare. Wanna see it? I'm guessing that you do and I'm going to show you whether you like it or not  :-D. Here it is:

post-20719-0-62487300-1500889497_thumb.jpg

Oh a cupboard, how lovely.

But then we open it.

post-20719-0-16936800-1500889546_thumb.jpg

It's a shop display unit from the 50's and as rare as a rare thing. Further piccie with a Dinky or two that I sort of couldn't resist.

post-20719-0-08901000-1500889667_thumb.jpg

I think it's lovely.

Toyed (excuse the pun) with knocking something up from some mdf as a display for the loft in a similar fashion.

Must be loads of old pubs and clubs getting rid of their dartboards - one of those with the folding doors would make up something suitable.   I knocked this up out of an old boot-sale display some geezer had when he had tat jewellery for sale.   It was just lying empty and cost me a fiver plus a bit of old decorating paint I had in the shed. 

Excuse pissed picture - I had to balance on one arm of the sofa!   

post-5367-0-28092300-1500911731_thumb.jpg

It would be going in the loft that's my concern about dust etc.

Like you say fuck it I'll give it a go in the winter it'd be a nice little project.

The biggest problem with a loft display is the changes in temperature, models and boxes will suffer from damp unless the loft is very well insulated or of course has been professionally converted. Dust gets into a display really in any room in the house, my old lounge was a bugger for that. 

Very nice display of the little 'uns Mr Mercrocker. I used to buy them regularly when I were a nipper, Matchbox were two bob for ages, think Husky were a little more and only available in Woolworth. Lone Star Impy were a bit harder to find. We had two coal bunkers in the back garden and I would chalk out roads on them and play with my cars for hours. I still have most of them tucked away and many others! Also bought a Matchbox 1-75 shop wall display unit a few years ago, it's a 70's one so more suited to the Superfast models.

I got one of those Matchbox plastic tray wall units but it was a bit new for my stuff as well, I think it was more 80s than 70s.   Got good money for it though so worth picking up!  

There was a town we used to go to when visiting rellies, can't remember where now but they had a shop selling Lone Star so I always got one on any visit there.   Bit fragile, though, opening parts often fell off and some had screw-on bases - kiss of death for a kid with a screwdriver....