Mazda 121 suntop in peril

vicsmith

Would anybody like to save this? Not mine - this is not a plug - it`s my mechanic`s wife`s old car, currently languishing at the far corner of my lot. He`s talking about weighing it but as far as I know it only needs a single-point, it actually drives fairly well as far as I`m concerned but then I do drive some right old rubbing rags at times.

It`s still got short tax and test, the bodywork is good, and it`s done 60 - odd thousand. A straight, genuine car with all it`s books and dealer stickers and that.

Offers around £175 (so £175, then?) would secure it. It`s frustrating really, under normal circs I`d buy it off him in a flash and probably end up making him fix it and then display it on the hottest day of the year with the roof half open and make a very big drink off it but unfortunately current conditions are in no way conducive to buying my mechanic`s cast-off and either trying to bring it up to retail standard or hoarding it.

If things change I might end up having it, to be honest, but at the moment I can`t justify it, so anyone on here fancy a go?

Posted Image

retrogeezer - yes, single point injection, to all intents and purposes a carb. You would need to find a dead 121 as the 323s are either multi point or twin choke carb, even though the 1324cc engine is the same, whther it`s possible to graft either of these on easily I`m not sure.Torsten - I don`t suppose you have a huge Orangutan collection that could make use of this lot, do you? As for my location, I am in Dewsbury, a town that has recently achieved fame for staged child abductions and people being murdered.

Is it the injector that's at fault here?It looks decent enough to save and if it were a bit nearer to Lancashire, I'd come an investigate...As for replacing the Single-point injector with a carb, I'd suggest there may be problems regarding the different electrics, engine management as well as the catalyser etc, so passing the emissions test may be almost impossible. I'd hate to see it get weighed in though... :?

Great little cars - I imported this one for my mum 10 years ago from Hong Kong :D

Posted Image

60k is nowt for these cars - they can do loads of miles - if I wasn't so far away I'd be interested in it :(

You might notice the mirrors on the JDM spec above are a different shape - also, this one is Automatic with power steering and AC - not ioptions that were available in the UK/EU market I believe?

Thanks Father ted, however the single point has gone off this one. Volksy your thoughts about the Kia Pride are correct, it`s just finding a Pride that has been set aside for dismantling rather than instantly baled up that is the hard part.It`s funny that in Hong Kong you could get an Auto with the roof and PAS, we either get solid roof, Auto, no PAS or manual, roof, PAS. Those were the two options.