Headlight Wipers are Sexy

CIH

And I don't just mind crappy modern, hide-away 'n' pop-out squirty things, I mean proper wipers. I've never had a car with working headlight wipers and it's a void I need to fill. As I contemplate my next smoker (I'm all but decided to sell on my S12 Silvia), I think of Volvo 850s and Saab 900s. Question is, scandernavian car peeprs, can i look forward to some serious mid90s kitsch or just more crushing dissapointment ?

Here's a choice selection from fellow cool dudes on th' 'tube;

As sick as they are, nothing would prepaire me for this;

Take a bow, Renault from the 1980s, that is quite easily the single most awesome thing I have ever seen on a car. No joke, that is it right there. It even trumps a 6-series dual jobby for it's absurd over complication.

Some FOOLS seem to think their zeon squirty things are worthy of my youtube viewing. LOSERS, I tell you.

I've always liked them. I like Mk5 Astra estates because they have that chrome strip across the back. I could stop behind one in a traffic jam when I had my Saab 9000 and watch the headlamp wipers... :oops:

Volvo 240s deserve mention for the way that the headlamp wipers pop up above the headlamp. Very odd. Have never seen the early Saab ones in use before, so thanks for that link!

EDIT - I wonder if the DS was an official fitment? I know Scandinavia insisted on it for some time. I've even seen Mk2 Capris with headlamp wipers. Why were we denied?!

My parent's old Vauxhall Royale had them. Parked up in a vertical position. Think their '86 Carlton CDi had them too.

High spec Mk2 Sierras had them too......

I think the Sierra mark 2 was the first Ford to have headlight wipers. Maybe the only Ford to have them as I cannot think of any others...

Always liked the 1980s BMW headlight wipers. And the Saab 99's too. :D

Headlight wipers are more trouble than they are worth at Autoshite level in my opinion. Ironically, the are the reason why I got into Volvos when I was a pup...

I prefer to keep the Volvos' headlamps clean by wiping them with a microfibre cloth from time to time :wink:

For the record, only one of the nameless 240's and TV2's headlamp wipers worked when I bought the cars, and neither of them worked on The Volvo when I bought it - I disconnected the motors on the former two cars and I removed the whole system from the latter car in 2006, as my efforts to get them to work came to naught.

They are just a pain in the bum.

I dont think that any of the C900's I had or the 9000's had wipers that worked properly. The 850 at the moment has one that does and one that does. Same goes for the V40 at the moment the passengers side one doesnt work and quite honestly they arent worth fixing.

I've had headlamp wipers on lots of cars. Saabs, Volvos, Vauxhalls etc.

Can't actually remember any of them ever working though. :oops:

The ones on my Saab 900 move about 2" every time I use the washers so the trick is to try and time the squirts so they park properly and don't sit halfway across the light.

One of the most pointless features to have on a car IMO. :x

I think the Sierra mark 2 was the first Ford to have headlight wipers. Maybe the only Ford to have them as I cannot think of any others...

Possibly some Granada Mk3s as well?

I've had two Sierras so equipped - the Cosworth (now UK registered) must have been one of the few to escape having them removed, usually when a quad headlamp conversion was bolted on. I never checked if they worked - they only operate with the headlamps on and the windscreen washers activated. Pleasingly, my current Ghia's headlamp wipers are in full working order! :)

DSC04822.jpg

Sierra-Ghia.jpg

Dad's Ovlov 850 also has them, but they started doing strange things about 10 years ago so they are disconnected but still in situ.

I think they add an air of gravitas to a car. A bit like some elderly university professor wearing those half moon spectacles.

A worthy mention should go to the Jaguar XJS, on which the headlamp wipers are pantograph, like on a bus! Needlessly complicated and there are two wiper arms per headlamp.

4125509.JPG

The fact that these...

$(KGrHqIOKi4E5VeMd,65BOZJ50l2hQ~~60_12.JPG

...sold for £23 suggests we're not the only ones who like headlamp wipers. Note how the two arms are linked at the top. The blade attaches in such a way that it moves horizontally up the lamp - like the Fuego but with slightly less eccentricity.

They are just a pain in the bum.

I dont think that any of the C900's I had or the 9000's had wipers that worked properly. The 850 at the moment has one that does and one that does. Same goes for the V40 at the moment the passengers side one doesnt work and quite honestly they arent worth fixing.

YOU WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT!! And you Mr Shepherd! :evil::evil: Wonky headlight wipers are the absolute essence of Autoshite. :P

Some of the Scandernavian region S12 Silvias had pop-up headlights and wiper mechanisims!

Cavalier GSi had them:

Sideon.jpg

Astra GTE and GSi and Calibra had washer jets which squirted with the windscreen wipers. Never saw the point in that.

L-Astra-GTE.jpg

3.JPG

32079_183032.jpg

The hoses on mine broke from the nozzle and used to shoot 10 metre arcs of water from the front of the car. I had to let the reservoir drain as I didn't want to get punched by a pedestrian passing in front.

Possibly some Granada Mk3s as well?

Yep, Ashmicro has corrected me on that. The facelifted mark 3 Granada/Scorpio (1991ish - 95 ) with the bigger headlights and clear indicator lenses. :)

Never realised that the Saab 99 has been around since 1970. :shock:8)

Guest Tony Hayers

j504bhj.jpg

And its predescessor had em. No doubt only on the CD & Diplomat

Every Swede ive had 2 Ovlov and 2 SAAB have all had faults. Both Volvos wouldnt emit water due to the pipes being blocked, on one Volvo the N/S motor was knackered and both SAABs have had blocked pipes. No trouble with the ones fitted on the Sierra.

Never realised that the Saab 99 has been around since 1970. :shock:8)

1968... with skinny 155x15 tyres and engines to the Triumph design, before they redesigned them to last reliably for 300k. I think some had free-wheel hubs, even. Always liked the air duct to the inside of the rear screen, instead of an electrical element. A little lever down by the ign switch opened and closed the vent.

http://www.netcarshow.com/saab/1968-99/800x600/wallpaper_01.htm

Saab-99_1968_800x600_wallpaper_02.jpg

800px-Triumphslant4saab99.jpg

The ideal shitter for me is a car that's basically sound but can be improved over time by sorting out minor issues that previous owners have chosen to live with. Headlight wipers fall perfectly into this category- although I have to admit I've never got round to fixing headlight wipers on any of my cars.

Salt spray soon becomes opaque when it lands on a warm headlight, so wipers/washers aren't just a gimmick.