Moving Shite!

Had to move my home-based shite to next door's driveway today in order that a new garage door can be fitted. Interesting as I had not moved some of them for some time. As the drive is on a downward slope, all cars were required to be fired up and driven up. Here are the results.

1982 Colt Galant 1600GL

Posted Image

Startup Procedure: Turn key, tap pedal, fired up no bother. As it should since it is the daily. Reversed out then repeatedly tapped accelerator with clutch down to stop it from stalling. Came very close. Drove it down the road to see if the caliper is still sticking, it isn't. Odd.

Residue: Gearbox oil, nearly 2 foot width. Impressive, seeing as it has only been on that bit of the drive for a few days. Nice work!

1998 Daihatsu Mira Classic Turbo 4WD

Posted Image

Startup Procedure: Drive down to Motorworld and buy a new battery for £50-odd (I WAS ROBBED). Fit to it. Turn key, fired up first time. Let it run for a while, pumping up the tyres as I go. Apart from the idle running very low (presumably due to the old fuel - these are quite fussy), no bother. Brakes a bit sticky, but it's not been "properly" used for a good 9 months.

Residue: Nothing.

1983 Daihatsu Charmant 1300 LE

Posted Image

Startup Procedure: Look at the rubbish "Runway" brand tyres on the stock alloys I've recently refitted to find that at least two of them seem to be weirdly distorted. Bugger. It'll be alright. Pump them up. Now onto the startup - not been used since December, battery will probably be nearly flat. Open door and the light comes on - good sign. Put key in, all the lights come on, excellent. Pull choke out and turn key, chug chug chug chug chug chug, NEARLY!! Turn key again, chug chug chug chug brap brap BRRARRM! BEST CAR EVER. WHY DID I STOP USING IT?!

Residue: About a foot wide engine oil stain. That's Toyota engines for you.

Overall I am delighted with this segment of the fleet. The Charmant is going back on the road soon I think, I've been away from it for too long. The Mira can wait, but its time will come.

Thank you cars.

"HIRST-RIDE®"

That's a bit like "ghost ride", except instead of getting out of the car and walking alongside it whilst it rolls down the street, you just drive it really slow whilst sucking a Werthers Original.

Here are pics for your perusal.

Posted Image

Look how huge the Avensis is compared to the Charmant! Daft car that one, it's got windup windows in the back, but traction control (which I disable when I drive it, so I can stick it to The Man). It beggars belief. Underneath the sump of the Charmant is a washing up bowl, in case it has an accident.

Posted Image

Hard to tell in the pic, but this front tyre seems oddly distorted. Less so now I've moved it, but still a bit weird. I'm chucking these tyres out anyway, they're rubbish. Runway indeed.

Posted Image

Galant, temporarily banished to the street. I'd stick a washing up bowl under that too, but I suspect there are no washing up bowls big enough for its gearbox incontinence.

Don't know what the Runways are - they're not the worst budget tyres I've ever seen, but when they come off the wheels, they're not going back on. I am indeed having them refurbished, not sure how I'll go about it yet though. They will need to be masked off in a somewhat convoluted way to reproduce the original finish.The Avensis I felt was alright, provided you drive it really gentle. The steering was ludicrously over-assisted and the throw between gears was too small for liking, though.