My new Volvo

Mr_Bo11ox

Get a load of this bad mutha, Picked it up this week.

Its done 195k, but runs beautifully. The bodywork seems to be 100% original with no dings or crummy repairs, and the interior is GR8. Cant fault it really, loads of MOT and even got 4 months tax.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its a 2.0 injected 5-speed, which is exactly the one I wanted, for 'economy' reasons. It drives great, just kind of rolls along in an 'unstoppable' type of motion. I love it! I have even got 32.8 mpg out of it over 250 miles by judicious use of 'Rollin Hirst-stylz' drivin' techniques. I believe these have an LSD so I will of course b takin it 2 drift events innit.

Only cloud on the horizon is that the clutch is a bit tired I think, it doesnt slip but only the tiniest press on the pedal causes it to disengage and engagin 1st from a standstill is not easy. I dont think that should be too painful to sort though. Already got a towbar to go on, then its gonna be A FRAME MANIA all over again!

Top motah!Whenever I look on ebay or the owners forum for Volvos they've all done 130,000+ miles. Is there no such thing as a low mileage Volvo, or are they just difficult to clock?What age do they die? Has one ever died? I like the 940 and 850 bestest, but your silver one is rather swish 8)

Looks in gr8 nik that Mr B....Whats the weird wallet thing in the drivers footwell??Love the fluorescent door bump strips too - never could see the point of those, it's other people opening their door into my car I'm worried about!Whats the chances of popping over in the morning for a butchers hook?

Nice looking motah. The clutch on my first 740 estate was similar to what you describe, and it went on for bloody miles, even though it spent most of its time dragging a car transporter trailer round the country. That old crate had done 318,000 miles when I bought it.

Looks in gr8 nik that Mr B....Whats the weird wallet thing in the drivers footwell??

Dunno but that appears to be a bottle-opener peeking out.Previous owner must have liked a beverage behind the wheel :D Fine machine Mr_Bo11ox. Good luck with it.

I wish my 'dearly belov'd' felt the love for these as I rate them as PREMIER LEAGUE GROT. srsly, why would my old bint despise these so?

My better half thinks the same, sadly. Fair enough, they're a bit on the boxy side but the wheels are round. And the tyres.... 8)

Very nice! The perceived poor economy of these has always put me off them, but low-30s isn't bad for an old tank like that.I read on Wikipedia that the 'Torslanda' is a limited-spec version mainly for the Scandinavian market with no chrome trim (because it rusts/pits in cold weather), and no equipment that could fail in sub-zero conditions.LSD for better grip in the snow I guess.

my old bint

-LOL!Love the Volvo, along side old early 80s Mercs, these just have to be the most durable beasts on the road. I still see these daily.David, what's that a scan from? - love the illustrations!

David? :roll::lol: It's from The Bumper Book of Car Toons by Don Grant, as seen in the middle of the page at this link. It was published circa 1983 and features new and old cars from the time. I think there's a CX in there actually, I'll go and check when I've stopped defending my position on the couch.If you really like it there are used copies available on Amazon in paperback or hardback.

Top motah!Whenever I look on ebay or the owners forum for Volvos they've all done 130,000+ miles. Is there no such thing as a low mileage Volvo, or are they just difficult to clock?What age do they die? Has one ever died? I like the 940 and 850 bestest, but your silver one is rather swish 8)

My Volvo garage - owning friend has just taken delivery of a 750k miler 'V' reg 244 DL, which did 600k on the original engine. It has a bit of grot here and there, and the box & prop feel a bit worn, but drives OK and still has MOT. The owner has now got a brand new XC90!