Please allow me to introduce myself.........

205 gti

Hi i'm a mate of Scotty (Hillmanimp) and new to the site. As you may have guessed by the nickname, i'm the owner of a 205 gti.

Is it autoshite?

I'm guessing you guys might think not, but it was well cheap, and it is in bits in my garage, so hopefully that will count in its favour.

An image of it before it was crashed into and taken off the road:

Posted Image

Its now in bits in me garage getting a bit of a cack handed resto, new rear beam, wishbones, driveshafts, brake cables, handbrake cables, suspension mounts..... And so on.

I'm also fitting a straight through big bore exhaust, lowering springs, guttman body kit, single wiper conversion.... only joking. Its staying standard really.

Anyone happen to have a mint interior kicking about? :D [/img]

It all comes down to whether "shite" is defined on condition, age, or generally poor design/engineering. A 205GTI, in nice order, only hits the middle criteria! (Although some repairs on old Peugeots generally make you wonder what they were thinking - e.g. dismantle the whole car to get the starter motor out).Take it (from the alloys) that's a 1.6 - is it the later catalysed version?Lovely car nonetheless, and Peugeot solid red paint must be some kind of special formula because it seems to resist fading...

A 205GTi certainly isn't my idea of "shite", simply because most of the motoring press was referring to it using the phrase "modern classic" almost immediately after launch! Not the case with its rival the Uno Turbo for example...However - they are nice cars - and have survived in good numbers - shite or not, there are lots of 205 fans on here, myself included. Welcome!

Yeah fair enough, I always suspected it to be too well proportioned to be truly shite :cry: and the condition isn't too shabby - its not perfect mind, 135,000 miles of generally being thrashed has taken its toll - but it'll be a great daily driver when its through the MOT.You're right, its the 1.6 but its a non-sunroof non-cat, much sought after by trackday boys - or it would be, if someone hadn't fitted a crap sunroof somewhere along the line. So its been saved from that fate at least!The red paint has faded in a couple of spots, but vigourous T-cut should sort it I hope. Certainly better than the pale pink mid 90s Toyotas kicking about in Bradford where I work!

The great thing about elderly Pugs is they tend to hide their age/miles quite well - although I've never owned a 205, only 405s and 406s which were/are well-loved by the minicab fraternity for precisely that reason!

205 1.6 GTi's are for WINNERS. I used to be forever clacking mine into kerbs etc by driving it in an unskilled manner. Love em! I reckon they will be worth serious coin in a few years, if there is not a world war over food or energy or something.

Thanks for the kudos and various welcomes. I love driving it too, or I did, as it was so long ago now that I can't really remember. In fact the last time it was properly driven it wasn't even me behind the wheel. I was following Mr HillmanImp from this here website and struggling to keep up.R.Welfare, you should extend your Pug collection to include a 205 GTi as soon as possible, before they become expensive. You can still get a decent one for £500 if you avoid all the cosmetically perfect mechanically rubbish ones for silly money.Definitely gonna get cracking on it tonight. :wink:

If I do extend, it would probably be a 205 DTurbo to be honest! Although my wife would probably extend the likelihood of divorce if I did :wink:

I know the feeling... My Mrs is learning to drive at the moment, which means I'll soon have an excuse to buy another cheap car for her to 'learn' in!As for you Mr Welfare - I think a 205 STDT is in order, its nothing to do with sexual health.... Just a 1.8TD with the GTI bodykit, posh velour seats, alloys... If you can find one! 8)

Copped a decaying one in Loughborough last year but the it's disappeared off this site, however it's on my photobucket a/c somewhere and I still have the original on my old PC. One of these days I will revive my LEICESTERSHITE thread, one pic per day :) Loadsa 205s over here still, but I don't tend to photograph them because I don't consider them "shite"... (mainly due to the lengthy production run)

I'm also fitting a straight through big bore exhaust, lowering springs, guttman body kit, single wiper conversion.... only joking. Its staying standard really.

Phew! - was about to suggest you'd come to the wrong forum! As far as I'm concerned any old & interesting vehicle is welcome here, mainstream or niche, it doesn't have to be rubbish to get respect. It just won't be called shit or shite, it will be viewed for what it is, a good fun car! Everybody loves something....

The first car I ever drove properly was a 205 (my mum's 205GLD, reg E827UNF, round Castle Combe race track in about 1991) so I've always had a soft spot for them. Attempts to own a GTI have so far proved futile unfortunately, but it's definitely on my "to own" list. In fact I saw a gorgeous Gentry on the A11 whilst dragging the Giulietta back from Rugby, so I might start hunting for one of those.Welcome, anyway.

Hello!I'd agree that Pug 205 Gti's are lovely cars although i've never driven one - guess what , I've got a 1/18 scale model.Now what would be shite would be if you finished repairing your 205, kept it, and bought a clapped-out 309 Gti to arse about with :D8)

Excellent!I do get excited by 205's, oh yes. Had a couple... a '91 "Trio S" which was only slightly faster/dryer/more luxurious than walking (basic ain't the word, 4-spd, not even a chuffing temp gauge, but it had spanking green seatbelts & trim detailing :lol: ). Remains to this day the most expensive vehicle I have bought for personal use. :roll: Very fun in a slow, rolly-polly way. Also briefly had a 1.6 GTi, which went like shit off the proverbial shovel. Shame it was a total rotten crock with some fairly terminal mechanical maladies and seemingly comprised of at least 2 entirely different cars bodged together :roll: Didn't last long.Nice 1.9 would do me, oh yes.

Remains to this day the most expensive vehicle I have bought for personal use. :roll:

What went wrong?
Oh, nothing went wrong. But I paid £1100 for it, more than I have ever given for anything else for my own consumption (though 'Er Indoors always gets several times that.... :roll: )

It's the 309 that really counts as shite - slightly worse in almost every respect than the same-engined 205 for speed, acceleration or handling, but able to carry sooo much more...I've never seen one scrapped due to rot.

I love 309's and have had 2 of them. I actually love the shape. No GTi, but a GE and a GL (moved up in the world to the GL). Funnily enough, Mr 205 Gti once tried drunkenly sorting out the dent on the nearside door for me...'i know if we kick the offside door it will push the other door out'.By the time we finished kicking the crap out of the rest of the car all i could do was scrap it. Was a good night out mind, other than that.Would be well up for getting another 309 though. Am i the only one that thinks they look sporty? Probably.

It's the 309 that really counts as shite

It's bed was already made for it in that respect as it was intended to be a Talbot Horizon replacement but then Peugeot decided to wind the Talbot brand up so used the car themselves. Hence why it has an -09 name which doesn't fit in with anything else!

The 1600 205 GTi is my all-time favourite hot hatch....Superb! 8) Not Shite IMO....A bit like my old MX-5, I'd say that they're currently on the cusp of cl*ss*cdom! :wink:

Hello and welcome! Like just about everyone else on here, I love the 205 too, so who cares if it's shite or not? I'm constantly amazed by how many there are still in daily use- it must be just about the commonest late eighties/early nineties car on the roads? Certainly around here at least!

I had a 205 Gti 1.6. Absolutely loved it. Bought when I was 21 for £3k and cost £800 to insure :shock: But it was worth every penny - I wouldn't have insured me in it!For a lad used to a mk2 cavalier, it went like a rocket and defied the laws of physics in the corners.How I never killed it, myself or innocent bystanders I'll never know.It was a red one too - G544 EPA where are you?(Probably in your missus new saucepan set!)Hoping for similar fun when the AXGT hits the road. Need to sell the Astra first.

I had a 205 Gti 1.6. Absolutely loved it. Bought when I was 21 for £3k and cost £800 to insure :shock:

Is that all! What group is it? At 20 I was paying £800 a year as a named driver, on mum's insurance on a Fiesta Si 1.6, group 8 & it was nothing raucous by stretch of the imagination. Mind you, it must have just been a bit of an arse insurance wise because also at group 8 insurance I could have had an Astra 1.8 SRi which must have been alot more worthy of the insurance group!

I had a 205 Gti 1.6. Absolutely loved it. Bought when I was 21 for £3k and cost £800 to insure :shock:

Is that all! What group is it? At 20 I was paying £800 a year as a named driver, on mum's insurance on a Fiesta Si 1.6, group 8 & it was nothing raucous by stretch of the imagination. Mind you, it must have just been a bit of an arse insurance wise because also at group 8 insurance I could have had an Astra 1.8 SRi which must have been alot more worthy of the insurance group!
Group 9 i think. It was 1994. The 1.6 cavalier had been about £400 fully comp and the 205 was 3rd party only.I only pay £450 for the Sierra, and thats group 20!

I only pay £450 for the Sierra, and thats group 20!

Well yes but you're 35 now!It always seems a bit convoluted to me, I mean once you get to group 20 all the seriously quick cars are there but you can't get more than group 20, so your Sierra is lumped in with things like Ferrari Enzos & Porsche Carreras which seems a bit haywire to me! :?

I had my 205GTi at 21, with ZERO ncb after the whole 'parrots' fiasco (Basically I had been driving uninsure for 6 months after the company went under but no-one thought to tell me, cost my NCB though, ) Cost about £700 per annum, which at the time was nicht so schlect (esp as i was living in the Lancaster "marsh estate" at the time)...