Bus Shite

Felly Magic

Shame, surprised they've been kept in service for so long though, being high floor.

Must be the last ex KCB Network buses left now.

One has been preserved though, soon to be repainted back into KCB colours.

Still a few ex Sheffield ones around my neck of the woods.

That's correct - N94 OGG has entered preservation, soon to be repainted into Kelvin Central livery. I would like to see them preserving at least one of the P---TYS registered buses.

Larbert depot also has some of these Alexander PS buses left, but as with Glasgow, probably not for long...

I used to go to school on these.. they were considered shite when new, and had reached something of a legendary status when they finally disappeared in 1996...when they were 28 years old!

They looked, sounded and smelt absolutely awesome compared to the horrid overstressed dennis darts all the other companies used and, if buseswere like this today, I would be tempted to use public transport more often!

vlw529g4.jpg

aml601he.jpg

One of those Hants & Sussex Swifts is preserved but I can't remember which...

On the subject of these...

FirstGroup_bus_61395_Volvo_B10M_Alexander_PS_Type_N127_OGG_in_Glasgow%2C_18_October_2006.jpg

... they're properly, properly humped; SV543 (P543 TYS - I don't do phonenumbers for fleetnumbers) did manage all day on the 38 on Tuesday which isn't bad going these days. I seem to recall it's gone full circle at least once as it was a branded 5 at Larkfield some time ago...

Anyway, back on topic - we've only recently just bought another two slightly older Alexander PS-bodied Mk3 B10Ms (bringing our total to six) and the boss simply can't get enough of them. Good on fuel, automatic you can squeeze loads of seats in them and they're more or less indestrucable - two of ours were roof deep in water in the Carlisle floods a few years back. Ours see most of their hard work during the winter months, though one ended up in Oban during the summer...

7609930864_34a0514ebf.jpg

DJ International - K732 DAO by cms206, on Flickr

Our most recent arrival is now our depot showbus - did a couple of runs at the recent GVVT open day.

8098219708_b8401c7250.jpg

K718DAO DJ International GVVT event 2012 by dmgbuses, on Flickr

Hey those are pretty smart CMS. I think its miracle any First bus makes it into preservation. Even the 05 plate Omnidekkas and 57 plate geminis in Edin look very tired and badly looked after compared to lothian examples.

They're not bad - about 8mpg round the houses, only 4-speed auto so not great on a run but they'll sit at 55 all day. And they're roasting in the cab.

Thing that still kills me... K-reg isn't old. They all turn 20 on new year's day... :|

Hey those are pretty smart CMS. I think its miracle any First bus makes it into preservation. Even the 05 plate Omnidekkas and 57 plate geminis in Edin look very tired and badly looked after compared to lothian examples.

They're not bad - about 8mpg round the houses, only 4-speed auto so not great on a run but they'll sit at 55 all day. And they're roasting in the cab.

Thing that still kills me... K-reg isn't old. They all turn 20 on new year's day... :|

I was just thinking this very thing the other day, a 20-year bus in mainline service with a major Group company is almost unheard of these days.

Casting my mind back to the first half of the 00's, First Edin still had a fair few HSF-X Ailsas going, together with ALS-Y Olympians, Midland still had a large number of Metrobuses in service from the mid-80's and Glasgow had loads of Ailsas left and ex Midland BLS-Y Metrobuses.

Something happened in 2005 where almost all of these buses, probably hundereds were scrapped within about 2-3 years!

BTW Midland Bluebirds old step entrance Scania N113CRB's had lovely - sounding Voith transmissions. Again, despite none of these being anywhere near 20 yet, all have long since been scrapped.

WMT managed to keep their last Metrobi until about 2009, the last ones must have been, what, 28 years old? Amazingly they're all still about happily ferrying schoolchildren around. Doesn't First Glasgow still have a few Citybi and Ailsas? Both interesting cases either way, heavily deprived cities operating locally built machines (cue 80s b&w photos of UCS and BL picket lines).

WMT managed to keep their last Metrobi until about 2009, the last ones must have been, what, 28 years old? Amazingly they're all still about happily ferrying schoolchildren around. Doesn't First Glasgow still have a few Citybi and Ailsas? Both interesting cases either way, heavily deprived cities operating locally built machines (cue 80s b&w photos of UCS and BL picket lines).

The last batch of Metrobi were delivered in 1990 I think, so a mere 19 years old. However, I'm pretty sure they still had 1982-1984 examples in use at the end. They only said goodbye to the Daimler/Leyland Fleetlines in 1997, and the last of those was built in 1979 I think.

One of those Hants & Sussex Swifts is preserved but I can't remember which...

On the subject of these...

FirstGroup_bus_61395_Volvo_B10M_Alexander_PS_Type_N127_OGG_in_Glasgow%2C_18_October_2006.jpg

... they're properly, properly humped; SV543 (P543 TYS - I don't do phonenumbers for fleetnumbers) did manage all day on the 38 on Tuesday which isn't bad going these days. I seem to recall it's gone full circle at least once as it was a branded 5 at Larkfield some time ago...

Anyway, back on topic - we've only recently just bought another two slightly older Alexander PS-bodied Mk3 B10Ms (bringing our total to six) and the boss simply can't get enough of them. Good on fuel, automatic you can squeeze loads of seats in them and they're more or less indestrucable - two of ours were roof deep in water in the Carlisle floods a few years back. Ours see most of their hard work during the winter months, though one ended up in Oban during the summer...

7609930864_34a0514ebf.jpg

DJ International - K732 DAO by cms206, on Flickr

Our most recent arrival is now our depot showbus - did a couple of runs at the recent GVVT open day.

8098219708_b8401c7250.jpg

K718DAO DJ International GVVT event 2012 by dmgbuses, on Flickr

Properly humped - a bit like all First Group vehicles, then! :lol: DJ International buses look really tidy, and suit their livery well.

Sadly the last Ailsa plied the streets of Glasgow in 2006 and the Citybuses are long gone.

Long gone, making me feel old now! I was never on an Ailsa, but remember them and the CityBuses well...

DJ has two of our old b10s. They were good a pair then. They only reason we got rid of them was because new MANs were delivered which meant newer b10s were cascaded to school buses. Thus 20549 and 20532 got the seats out off 20718 and her sister bus. When did 718 acquire round headlights though. Ps dont suite round headlights. Looks very smart apart form that. Some of Staggys b10s got newer still oblong headlights. When western got some x cumbria b10s the round headlights were replaced with oblong headlights. Simlier but not identical to the original kind. B10s are most excellent buses. Latter day Leopard. The newer MANs just dont come close at all.

Chuff me, a National.

Trent used to run heaps of those, outside peak times the 40/41/42/43/45 service from Mansfield used to run on Nationals into Nottingham. I'm talking probably up until 1996/1997 when I left college and some new P-plate buses turned

Double-deckers in peak times, can't remember which ones? Occasionally when no double deckers were available for the morning run, two Nationals would turn up in convoy and when the first was full, would cease to stop and the rear one would take passengers instead.

Can still remember the smell of hot diesel fumes and brushed nylon seats.

• 2 weeks later...