Bus Shite

Felly Magic

What was the last 2 stroke diesel bus in service? are any in preservation?

CIE had GM two stokes in various buses, not sure when the last went but there's some preserved.

In the UK, Commer made two strokes as did Fodern. There's some of both preserved. There's also at least one ex Greyhound coach that's been imported into the UK for preservation.

Trains, all the Class 66 are two stokes and Deltics were.

Does anybody know when a Leyland Nation would have first entered service in Buckingham.

Again this is to help date the photo for a local historian.

If it's a short pod National and it's UCOC then it's post November 1974 as that's when they got their first three of this type, GNV653-5N.

Emphatically no if our experience of Merc engines in Streetshites is anything to go by.

EFA, First Hunslet Park has E400MMCs, DAF Streetdecks, and B5TL Wrights, as well as B5LHs, and for reliability and average economy it seems the MMCs have the edge, plus the MMCs are easier to work on when it comes to servicing. 

There's at least one MC-9 coach from the US with a Detroit 8V71 in the back somewhere in the UK.  No idea who has it now as we only saw it briefly to resolve an electrical issue for an MOT (bodged conversion to UK spec indicators it turned out) before the guy was apparently selling it.

Main thing I remember was that it sounded absolutely bloody epic.

Never heard one in person, but the V6 version might actually get my vote purely based on video evidence, as they just sound *angry* compared to the V8.

Ensignbus have an ex Greyhound motor as one of their toys IIRC, there are a couple of Bedford trucks preserved with Detroit 2 smokers as well

Not bus but truck, Scammell fitted GM V8 two stokers into some of their wagons. We had a couple of 6x4 heavy haul units bought new in the early 80's. Twin vertical exhaust stacks made an impressive noise.

I watched one of Mayle's latest vids on youtube, he's restored a Foden Mickey Mouse S21 with the 2 stroke lump, and it sounds absolutely awesomesauce, with added Totes Amazeballs ness, incab video is a deffo headphones on loud job

Some of our school buses were (Foden?) 2 strokes. Never on my route sadly. but they did sound great compared to the worn out Bedfords and Fords. Run by Edwards of Lydbrook I think.

edit - a quick google of Edwards found this picture, I'm sure it was buses that looked like this that made that great noise. Any ideas?post-17481-0-97325000-1546154393_thumb.jpeg

Best sounding ones I knew regularly were a couple of huge Mercedes double deck coaches run by Bain's. They used to pass by while I was waiting for my bus to Aberdeen. They had a V8 of some description (not two stroke though) and utterly shot to pieces exhausts...they sounded bloody ace... especially as the driver's didn't exactly go easy on them heading up the hill.

Some of our school buses were (Foden?) 2 strokes. Never on my route sadly. but they did sound great compared to the worn out Bedfords and Fords. Run by Edwards of Lydbrook I think.

edit - a quick google of Edwards found this picture, I'm sure it was buses that looked like this that made that great noise. Any ideas?attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Roe Dalesman bodied AEC Reliance in that photo, looks to have been tacked on to a West Riding batch, it is even WRAC liveried!

Back in time I lived in the village of Speen 5 miles from High Wycombe Bucks, the county provided a school coach service and for a couple of years this was run by Ivins Coaches. I am not sure of the exact years but 1971-1975. The internet says Ivans Great Kingshill but when they transported me there base was in Binders Yard Cryers Hill the next village.

I visited their base once as Mr Ivin (son) was running late for a personal appointment and asked the remaining 4 children if we would mind transferring to a car so when he dropped us off he could get going without returning the yard. Shame he was in a hurry so we just got a quick glimpse of the yard and my attention was taken by the MK1 Jaguar belonging to his father we were to continue our journey in.

Ivins was run by father and son who both drove us themselves most of the time. I have happy memories of my school coach travel and the drivers putting up with my school boy questions.

The Ivins school run coaches were Bedford Duple Vegas and there posh coach that we did get from time to time was a Leyland Leopard, on the internet I can find pictures of later Ivins coaches including this AEC Reliance that I never remember seeing at the time.

Can anybody help me find pictures of Ivins Duple Vegas or Leyland Leopard from the early 1970s?

post-4787-0-19620200-1546344913_thumb.jpg

Someone doesn't know their blind codes - it's been the 32 since October. There'll be rustlings on the wmbusphotos forum I bet......

Well spotted, that was last year.

Here's a more recent one.

post-17297-0-86953400-1546876083_thumb.jpg

Walsall Bus Station mid 70's.

post-17297-0-08431200-1546876138_thumb.jpg

MCW, used for driver training until recently.

post-17297-0-38865300-1546876312_thumb.jpg

Walsall's old bus station was far better than the  omnibus omnishambles (see what I did there?) that it is now:

post-16837-0-15862500-1546877572_thumb.jpg

The only bus station I know where exiting traffic has to barge its way into a queue of incoming traffic.

It's not even the only poorly-designed bus terminus in Walsall, as Bradford Place is also terrible, especially if more than two 4s are in at any one time - no one can get in, which eventually means no one can get out either.

post-16837-0-50795200-1546877597_thumb.jpg

Bradford Street, every day

Sadly, this is what NXWM 9959 looks like now, courtesy of the site below:

post-16837-0-00005100-1546877584_thumb.jpg

http://www.wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/5001-9959/9959.html

Two ex-Ulsterbus/Citybus Leylands, now doing duty as mobile canteens for some police series being filmed around Belfast the other week (Belfast's Central Library was festooned with ersatz Police signs, so I'm guessing there was a correlation).

post-17915-0-73798100-1546880271_thumb.jpg

RXI3327, believed to be an Alexander-bodied Leyland Tiger (probably a Citybus in its former life, going by the advertising boards along the roof)

post-17915-0-24921700-1546880406_thumb.jpg

XXI1446, which if memory serves were also classed as Tigers but badged as Cityliner up front, to distinguish them from the previous model. Also bodied by Alexander, I think.

post-17915-0-91237200-1546880439_thumb.jpg

I'm afraid I know bog-all about buses so this could all be quite inaccurate, but I snapped them and didn't know what else to do with the pics!

The current Walsall Bus Station is much worse than its two predecessors, Bradford place has always been a pain to access and exit. 

9951 is currently on sorn, maybe an enthusiasts  group is trying to secure storage and preservation.

D951 NDA
✓ SORN

Incorrect tax status?
✗ No MOT

Expired:
23 February 2018

Incorrect MOT status?
WarningIf you've just bought this vehicle the tax or SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification)doesn't come with it. You'll need to tax it before driving it.
Vehicle details
  • Vehicle make:MCW
  • Date of first registration:November 1986
  • Year of manufacture:1986
  • Cylinder capacity (cc):10450 cc
  • CO₂Emissions:Not available
  • Fuel type:DIESEL
  • Euro Status:Not available
  • Export marker:No
  • Vehicle status:SORN in place
  • Vehicle colour:WHITE
  • Vehicle type approval:Not available
  • Wheelplan:2-AXLE-RIGID BODY
  • Revenue weight:15937kg
  • Tax rates:

<p><p>The current Walsall Bus Station is much worse than its two predecessors, Bradford place has always been a pain to access and exit.  9951 is currently on sorn, maybe an enthusiasts  group is trying to secure storage and preservation. D951 NDA[/size]

✓ SORN [/size]

Incorrect tax status?

✗ No MOTExpired:23 February 2018[/size]

Incorrect MOT status?WarningIf you've just bought this vehicle the tax or SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification)doesn't come with it. You'll need to tax it before driving it.Vehicle details
  • Vehicle make:MCW[/size]
  • Date of first registration:November 1986[/size]
  • Year of manufacture:1986[/size]
  • Cylinder capacity (cc):10450 cc[/size]
  • CO₂Emissions:Not available[/size]
  • Fuel type:DIESEL[/size]
  • Euro Status:Not available[/size]
  • Export marker:No[/size]
  • Vehicle status:SORN in place[/size]
  • Vehicle colour:WHITE[/size]
  • Vehicle type approval:Not available[/size]
  • Wheelplan:2-AXLE-RIGID BODY[/size]
  • Revenue weight:15937kg[/size]
  • Tax rates: 
Meanwhile NXWM have just re-purchased thispost-3950-0-85466900-1546893864_thumb.jpeg