Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bus Shite (I'VE BEEN PAPPED, NOOOOOO LOL)

• Please log in to reply
2168 replies to this topic

#2131 ONLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 27,659 posts
  • 80 thanks

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:58 AM

im prolly the only person in the multiverse that actually looks forward to tube strikes :mrgreen:

because all the Routemasters (and sometimes RTs even!) come out to play in service once more :)

I wonder what people think when they are waiting at a bus stop for their regular bus and a 1940s RT pulls up instead...

Is that actually going to be possible once ULEZ really kicks in?

1972 Invacar Model 70, 1984 Reliant Fox

1986 Citroen 2CV6, 1990 Dacia 1310

1999 Daewoo Matiz, 2000 Rover 45 V6, 2001 Perodua Nippa
HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twitter

#2132 ONLINE   LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

• Full Members
  • 331 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:12 AM

Is that actually going to be possible once ULEZ really kicks in?

I thought buses older then a certain age where exempt from all that stuff?

im worried about Route 15H tbh  :(

Screenshot 2018-11-08 at 03.59.29.png

I used to drag my mum to one of the Routes bus stops wait for the right conductor to come along then I would drag her onto the bus and I would go back and forth the Route nattering to the conductor and then go back to the garage :)

(I tell ya West ham bus garage dont half make a mean jacket potato :) )

fun memories, I wonder if Paul still works the Route? (he was a nice conductor along with Mandy the bus driver) sadly I never got a chance to experience any running days or ride RML2760 back to the garage

#2133 ONLINE   FPB7

FPB7

• Full Members
  • 4,115 posts
  • 14 thanks

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:45 AM

Whilst on the subject of Ford A series buses, one must not forget the home grown version.
F0B5CA71-72A0-418E-A71B-010E8947FA37.jpeg
  • Lacquer Peel and Yoss like this

#2134 ONLINE   meshking

meshking

• Full Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationBrooklands banking

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:19 AM

I had the dubious pleasure of a national express caetano like this the other week:

280px-E_Scotts_%26_Sons_FJ60EGC_%2887925

I guess these are a robotic manual? The chasm between gearchanges was impressive!

1974 Citroen 2cv

1980 CItroen Acadiane

1996 Lotus Elan

2004 Ford Focus

2008 Ford S-Max

#2135 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 1,711 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:55 AM

I had the dubious pleasure of a national express caetano like this the other week:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c...

I guess these are a robotic manual? The chasm between gearchanges was impressive!

Yes.

The huge 15m Volvos they use on the X5 between Oxford and Cambridge use buses with a similar box. It drives me spare when I'm on them. The fact that it's lurchy as all hell and insists on swapping between the 35 different ratios at about 50rpm above idle doesn't help.

I'd hate to drive them...darn things are in about 5th gear before you've actually completed the turn out of a junction.
  • meshking likes this

Current fleet: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.  1990 Mercedes 208D Auto Trail Navajo.  1985 Sinclair C5.  1973 & 1975 AC Model 70s.

#2136 OFFLINE   83C

83C

Farting in France's general direction

• Full Members
  • 1,029 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationExeter, mostly.

Posted 08 November 2018 - 01:05 PM

Ah, iShit gearboxes. Dreadful things, and even worse when you’re trying to drive up a B-road in Devon - in a normal 6sp manual i’d use 2-3 gears, whereas the iShit-fitted B12B made a serious effort to use all 12 gears whilst spending as little time as possible actually in gear.
  • 1984 Leyland Tiger - big, slow. Much like the owner.
  • 1990 Land Rover 90 - awaiting regeneration.
  • 2004 Mercedes Sprinter - shagging wagon. 
  • 2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 - small, fast. Not like the owner.
  • 2011 BMW 525d - boring modern.

#2137 OFFLINE   willswitchengage

willswitchengage

• Full Members
  • 3,361 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:41 PM

Most Routemasters you'll see on the road doing regular trips were re-engined ages ago with generic Cummins stuff. I am assuming that they will just get aftermarket exhaust treatment like the stuff Eminox makes, their systems are popular on trucks.

In 'must try harder' green bus news:

https://www.bbc.co.u...kshire-46126728

Harrogate's 'trailblazing' electric bus fleet powered by diesel generator

254614.png

#2138 OFFLINE   Nicola H

Nicola H

• Full Members
  • 916 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:49 PM

must try harder ?  

Infrastructure issues ...  still  controls the  emissions to  a greater extent than  engine powered busses 

#2139 OFFLINE   Felly Magic

Felly Magic

• Full Members
  • 7,838 posts
  • 44 thanks
  • LocationGippeswick, which is near the fine place called Bungay!

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:16 PM

I have also had to endure those Volvo/Caetanos on NX, the automated clutches do not like traffic, and the bodywork flexes when going over expansion joints. Surprisingly, Mike De Courcey's actually have stereos fitted, but only have cab speakers. 

I experienced TWM's Platinum buses too, E400MMCs with part 'leather' seats, USB ports on some seats, and next stop announcement, they are also fitted with 'stopstart', which will mean they eat starter motors

Yer can't beat a bit o' Autoshite

Felly :P

#2140 ONLINE   Yoss

Yoss

• Full Members
  • 1,196 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:39 PM

im worried about Route 15H tbh :(

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2018-11-08 at 03.59.29.png

I used to drag my mum to one of the Routes bus stops wait for the right conductor to come along then I would drag her onto the bus and I would go back and forth the Route nattering to the conductor and then go back to the garage :)

(I tell ya West ham bus garage dont half make a mean jacket potato :) )

fun memories, I wonder if Paul still works the Route? (he was a nice conductor along with Mandy the bus driver) sadly I never got a chance to experience any running days or ride RML2760 back to the garage

I find Marshall Refurbs, aka Dartmasters, hideous things. I went on one once in 2005 and got off again after about ten minutes, vowing never to get on one again. So far I have kept that vow. They are Routemaster shaped from the outside and from about fifty feet away but any closer and you realise it's nothing of the sort. They're kind've like Routemaster ghosts. You catch a glimpse of them in the distance now and then but you can't get too near or the illusion is shattered.

The original refurbs weren't great, the insides were too bright and the engines made some strange noises depending on which engine was fitted, but at least they still felt like an RM once you were on as the rest of the drivetrain was the original. Once they put those Allison gearboxes in they lost everything. And the hopper windows don't let any air in at all. Ghastly things.

To be honest, I'm surprised the heritage routes have lasted this long. When they announced them in 2005 I don't think anyone thought they'd still be running thirteen years later. They've done well really, most normal buses dont last that long.
  • LightBulbFun likes this
Škoda Felicia 1.6 SLXi
Škoda Favorit 136LS
Triumph 1300TC
AEC Routemaster with Leyland O600.

#2141 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 1,711 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:45 PM

Some of the Arrival "Sapphire" branded routes here have stop/start on them.

So far I've seen them stuck halfway around two roundabouts where they've decided not to restart. We've only had them a few months...

Current fleet: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.  1990 Mercedes 208D Auto Trail Navajo.  1985 Sinclair C5.  1973 & 1975 AC Model 70s.

#2142 OFFLINE   rml2345

rml2345

• Full Members
  • 3,613 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLANDMINES!

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:39 AM

Our Stop-Start E400MMCs must be doing well then as I don't think we've had one fail to restart. Not in the six months I've been there anyway.
Nice buses to pilot and a world away from the Streetlites that make up much of the rest of the fleet.
Current Wheels;
1994 Volvo 850 GLT Saloon (Twice)
Previous Wheels;
2003 Peugeot 406 HDi Saloon
2003 Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur Saloon
2003 Toyota "Leyland" Yaris T Spirit (Three times)
2002 Mitsubishi Carisma DI-D (Blob)
2001 Rover 75 CDT Tourer (Clover)
2000 Rover 75 CDT Saloon
2000 Honda Accord SE Executive
1996 Citroën Xantia Dimension (Les Hamper des Bisquites)
1996 Volvo 940 SE Turbo Estate (Beeb)
1993 Citroën AX Neon (Les Tin des Bisquites)
1994 Volvo 850 SE Saloon
1989 Volvo 740 GLE Saloon
1988 Volvo 740 GL Saloon (Telly)

#2143 ONLINE   LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

• Full Members
  • 331 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:18 AM

I find Marshall Refurbs, aka Dartmasters, hideous things. I went on one once in 2005 and got off again after about ten minutes, vowing never to get on one again. So far I have kept that vow. They are Routemaster shaped from the outside and from about fifty feet away but any closer and you realise it's nothing of the sort. They're kind've like Routemaster ghosts. You catch a glimpse of them in the distance now and then but you can't get too near or the illusion is shattered.

The original refurbs weren't great, the insides were too bright and the engines made some strange noises depending on which engine was fitted, but at least they still felt like an RM once you were on as the rest of the drivetrain was the original. Once they put those Allison gearboxes in they lost everything. And the hopper windows don't let any air in at all. Ghastly things.

To be honest, I'm surprised the heritage routes have lasted this long. When they announced them in 2005 I don't think anyone thought they'd still be running thirteen years later. They've done well really, most normal buses dont last that long.

Oh yeah I agree with you there its one of the reasons I detested so much to DWs idea of electrifying TWC the invacar :)

sadly its all I had so I made the most of it :) its a shame RML2760 no longer run the route I used to enjoy riding on that when I could because it was un-molested, I even had a 22W Saloon bulb from that bus :)

why DID they fit hopper windows anyway? its not like that has any affect on emissions... (another is why in the 1990s did they plate up the heater inlet above the cab?)

but as crap as the marshals are are they are still Routemasters to me and Id be very sad to see any Routemaster withdrawn from service, and I have at least seem a couple Dartmaster RMs that have had quarter drops put back in, like RM1005 (although THAT bus has far from an original driveline LOL) but sadly none of the H15 RMs have had Quarter drops refitted (BTW does anyone know on the couple H15 that got done over recently and had incandescent lightbulbs put back in does anyone know if there using proper 22W London Transport Saloon bulbs or not? given the above news I really need to go and have a look for myself)

#2144 ONLINE   bramz7

bramz7

• Full Members
  • 2,576 posts
  • 17 thanks

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:07 AM

All this Routemaster talk has got me reminiscing about the buses local to me when we lived in Bexleyheath. As an excitable child into all manners of vehicles (if it's got wheels I'll like it) I used to pay attention to the buses too.
It was all Titans really. You could hear them from a mile off. Route 401 came down our narrow road. No Routemaster for us, although I've definitely been on one...I think? I remember going on a London bendy and as a idiot teenager it was fun* to stand in the articulated bit.
And then in Slough it was all Beeline Darts and Lynx. And Slough bus station. Dank.

buyer of impulse, seller of regret

Current fleet:

1984 Renault 18 TD Estate

1991 Saab 900 XS Auto

2002 Mercedes Benz C270

#2145 OFFLINE   busmansholiday

busmansholiday

• Full Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationPeoples Republic of South Yorkshire

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:01 PM

Lothian have / are refurbishing there ex Mac Tours routemasters to an incredible degree. There's no quarter drop windows due to trying to get the gear system and the lights, although looking original, are all led.

#2146 OFFLINE   AndyW201

AndyW201

• Full Members
  • 369 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationMiddlesbrough

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:24 PM

Joining in the shite A-series based minibus fun, this and its sister 317 were a common sight round here and managed to last well into the early 90s. As was usual for Cleveland Transit, it was bodied by Northern Counties, it and 317 were nicknamed 'The ice cream vans' according to my dad who worked for them.

download.jpg

In it's later, not as attractive, post deregulation livery,

6850.jpg
  • FPB7, rml2345, Asimo and 1 other like this
2004 Skoda Octavia 1.8 VRS. Tuuuuuuurrrrrboooooo!
1998 Merc C200 Elegance. Crispy!

Autoshite- Doing for the classic car movement what cystitis does for honeymoons.

#2147 ONLINE   Yoss

Yoss

• Full Members
  • 1,196 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:05 PM

I like the pool of oil collecting under that A Series.

As far as Routemaster hopper windows are concerned the old quarter drop were quite high maintenance and the hopper windows practically maintenence free so I think there's your answer.
Škoda Felicia 1.6 SLXi
Škoda Favorit 136LS
Triumph 1300TC
AEC Routemaster with Leyland O600.

#2148 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 9,789 posts
  • 89 thanks

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:07 PM

What was the last bus available with a semi automatic?

#2149 OFFLINE   83C

83C

Farting in France's general direction

• Full Members
  • 1,029 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationExeter, mostly.

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:19 PM

What was the last bus available with a semi automatic?

In terms of ‘traditional’ semi-autos probably the last of the Leyland range, Tiger, Olympian and Lynx were all available with a Leyland semi-auto.

There are some boxes out there like Comfort Shift which are clutchless manuals, and iShit, sorry iShift, can be used like a manual with no clutch pedal.
  • 1984 Leyland Tiger - big, slow. Much like the owner.
  • 1990 Land Rover 90 - awaiting regeneration.
  • 2004 Mercedes Sprinter - shagging wagon. 
  • 2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 - small, fast. Not like the owner.
  • 2011 BMW 525d - boring modern.

#2150 OFFLINE   mk2_craig

mk2_craig

• Full Members
  • 2,613 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationIT'S CLEAN THE PLATES HAVE BEEN CHANGED THAT'LL BE $7438.

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:29 PM

Joining in the shite A-series based minibus fun, this and its sister 317 were a common sight round here and managed to last well into the early 90s. As was usual for Cleveland Transit, it was bodied by Northern Counties, it and 317 were nicknamed 'The ice cream vans' according to my dad who worked for them.

download.jpg

In it's later, not as attractive, post deregulation livery,

6850.jpg

Good god that windscreen and front dome arrangement are fucking awful. Thanks for sharing!!

1984 Ford Fiesta XR2 - Devaluing the neighbourhood since 2008

Nottinghamshite
Channel Island Cack
Everywhere Else

#2151 ONLINE   FPB7

FPB7

• Full Members
  • 4,115 posts
  • 14 thanks

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:29 PM

As Mr CMS pointed out to me not too long ago, these Scottish single deck Metroliner Mk2s were semi auto too. 

7223405608_6acc606890_b.jpg

That I didn't know.

• cms206 and willswitchengage like this

#2152 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 9,789 posts
  • 89 thanks

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:32 PM

In terms of ‘traditional’ semi-autos probably the last of the Leyland range, Tiger, Olympian and Lynx were all available with a Leyland semi-auto.

There are some boxes out there like Comfort Shift which are clutchless manuals, and iShit, sorry iShift, can be used like a manual with no clutch pedal.

I’m talking about the self changing gears type 4spd set up like in a National. I suppose they were phased out due to driver mistreatment. They were clutchless if I’m right in thinking as it worked on planetary gears with brake bands selecting/deselecting.

#2153 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 1,711 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:48 PM

Think the latest thing I've seen with semi autos were probably Tiger based coaches from the early 80s. Certainly don't recall personally seeing anything more recent than that which wasn't either a manual or more conventional auto.

Seen Scania coaches with some sort of odd preselector type setup from the early 00s (never really got along with it), but that did have a clutch pedal.

It's always good for causing confusion when encountering a vehicle that you're used to seeing with one setup but coming across a bus with the "wrong" gearbox.

I remember being far more taken aback by sitting in the driver's seat of an early Dart and reaching down for the Alison T-bar selector and finding a ZF push button selector there. The bus then proceeded to make Voith noises to confuse me even further. Granted, that bus hadn't seen a public road in about a decade, it was a site shuttle/mobile shed.

#2154 OFFLINE   Felly Magic

Felly Magic

• Full Members
  • 7,838 posts
  • 44 thanks
  • LocationGippeswick, which is near the fine place called Bungay!

Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:55 AM

Long Darts were often fitted with Voith 3 speed autos, Ipswich Bises had a large fleet of em

Yer can't beat a bit o' Autoshite

Felly :P

#2155 OFFLINE   StefanD

StefanD

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:02 PM

ApzJ8lF.jpg?1

M2IT3LC.jpg?1

• cobblers, FPB7, Asimo and 1 other like this

#2156 OFFLINE   jon.k

jon.k

• Full Members
  • 182 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:24 PM

I like the destination blind.

#2157 ONLINE   FPB7

FPB7

• Full Members
  • 4,115 posts
  • 14 thanks

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:52 PM

Bit of a close up of the business end.

1980000017 (TMS50.1046)-04.jpg

#2158 OFFLINE   Pillock

Pillock

It's true.

• Staff
  • 18,173 posts
  • 100 thanks
  • LocationMassive Wang.

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:01 PM

I like the destination blind.

Not sure why those three passengers also have destination blinds.

• cobblers and Christine like this

#2159 ONLINE   LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

• Full Members
  • 331 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:19 PM

Bit of a close up of the business end.

attachicon.gif1980000017 (TMS50.1046)-04.jpg

I was thinking surely they could've replaced the wheel arch panel with a normal one and made it look half decent?

pretty cool to see the gubbins tho, I wonder how it drove...

(also with that make it a Chinese Six?  :mrgreen: )

#2160 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 1,711 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:46 PM

That does highlight quite well how much a bus was just a box over a chassis back then and how much dead space there is under there in the days before low floor became a thing.

Is a shame the days of the chassis being driven from the maker to coachbuilder are long gone...that must have been a fun job, cracking one in the summer!

Have driven a Volvo B58 sans body while it was being stripped down (sadly to finally be dismantled, we had hoped it might get a further lease of life, but was not to be, though the engine and box did live on), and can vouch for performance being "lively" with several tonnes of body out of the way, sounded nice with the pesky exhaust out the way. Was however also alarmingly easy to lock the brakes though!

That road and rail thing isn't something I've ever seen before...will have to have a look at some point...nice that they've used an RE, at least they went with something that could shift...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

LightBulbFun