Bus Shite

Felly Magic

FJ quoted me £155 on the Tiger, £500 seems steep! You could try Rigtons but fingers crossed you never have to claim - from what I’ve read they’re a nightmare to claim with.

The cream looks very close to 'Wigan Airways' base livery, with ivory for the windscreen & roof, lower side looks like gloss black

TBH looks like primrose with a deep Maroon skirt to me.

External trim looks standard Plaxtons from that era, internal will be standard with the operators choice of colour for the seats.

Have you tried the Southdown Enthusiasts Club. I know it wasn't one of theirs but Bognor was their territory so an older member may remember it or have pictures. Surprising what can turn up, doubt I'll have a pic of it, I can ask around if you want.

I've already had a reply from a friend and as there's some useful bits in it I'll post his full reply rather just pm you as it may be useful to others.

Good to know that this still survives. I looked it on Bus Lists of the Web to see who it was new to as I did not recognise it at all, the reason being the top sliders in the side windows – which was extremely rare to say the least on Panorama Elites. The only others I can recall with this feature were Southdown’s touring coaches.

So, it was new Morgan, Bognor Regis being PSV licenced 1/72 on chassis 2T471136 with body number 728379. At the back of my mind I seem to recall Morgan used the fleet name Golden Key, so I have looked it up in The Little Red Book I have for 1979/80, and found:

GOLDEN KEY of BOGNOR, Hillsboro Garage, 33 Chichester Road, Bognor Regis. Proprietor W. H. Morgan so there you have it! Fleet of 5 Plaxton coaches plus 1 minibus, and a livery of gold/black/white. So that is the original livery in your photo.

Another non-standard feature is the herzim moulding at the bottom of the black paintwork, with the black plastic insert to the moulding.

Now all the Plaxton records of that era are held at the Kithead Trust and if someone contacts them they should be able to find the build records and specification for this coach. They will need the body number, the name Morgan t/a Golden Key and the reg no. The supplying dealer was Arlington Motor Co Ltd.

West Sussex was never an area I covered in my Plaxton days, I was with them when this was new, otherwise I might have remembered more about the coach and its’ specification. Incidentally the records at Kithead will include the paint colour codes and the lettering details plus what was on the destination blind. If the paint code is HMG that means the supplier was H Marcel Guest in the Manchester area, and I understand that they are still in business today and have the records to be able to supply the actual colours used.

All the above is conditional on the coach being built new for Golden Key and not somebody else who did not take delivery of it, when someone other than Plaxtons could have applied Golden Key’s livery.

The Kithead Trust is at Droitwich see http://kitheadtrust.org.uk/ although I see that it has become the Bus Archive now http://www.busarchive.org.uk/

Hope this helps, perhaps you would be kind enough to keep me informed as to how this all progresses in the coming months

That beige looks pretty close to "Grampian Beige" as was the base colour used by Grampian Regional Transport before they became First...

Though looking at a couple of my photos, that looks like it's a little more yellow.

post-21985-0-94869400-1528927725_thumb.jpg

(Photo is mine)

Still surprised me when I actually found that colour in a car parts store!

Lovely looking bus though. VAL was actually one of the first vehicles I drove (on private land), well before I had my first driving lesson. Probably explains a lot!

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!! The tram & trolleybus museum at Carlton Colville near that there Lowstuff in East Angular is set for major expansion, it's not a bad place to visit, and now it's about to get much betterer LOL, a couple of NIMBY's moaned and objected, but the council gave said belly achers a 2 fingered salute. It's not a bad gaff as it is, and the expansion will mean it is even more worthwhile to visit, I think it is much nicer than 'Scraptoft' at Axholme, shame there is nowhere near to camp en masse for a possible future Shitefest. 

http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/east-anglia-transport-museum-planning-approval-1-5558979

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!! The tram & trolleybus museum at Carlton Colville near that there Lowstuff in East Angular is set for major expansion, it's not a bad place to visit, and now it's about to get much betterer LOL, a couple of NIMBY's moaned and objected, but the council gave said belly achers a 2 fingered salute. It's not a bad gaff as it is, and the expansion will mean it is even more worthwhile to visit, I think it is much nicer than 'Scraptoft' at Axholme, shame there is nowhere near to camp en masse for a possible future Shitefest. 

http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/east-anglia-transport-museum-planning-approval-1-5558979

i must agree that this is a fine place to visit and i may* have been more than once

Guest Hooli

Well done! Give it two weeks and you’ll be as bitter and twisted as the drivers who’ve been there decades.

Are you saying he's a slow learner?

I was considering deliberately failing my PSV test years ago, just to stay on the training bus & avoid the public.

This is basically an updated POS on the Failed To Run concept by Wrighshite/Ovlov, an experimant that cost Worstbus & councils millions, for a service life of way under 10 years, they are even using roughly the same purple base!

• 2 weeks later...

Had a little run out with a couple of ex Southampton Regents this evening.

post-20743-0-42860700-1531174829_thumb.jpg

When people use the phrase 'looks like the back end of a bus' they obviously haven't seen these as I think they are rather attractive.

post-20743-0-40891000-1531174928_thumb.jpgpost-20743-0-76127100-1531175029_thumb.jpg

This is near the old Floating Bridge terminus. The bridge in the background opened in 1977. Before that buses terminated both sides of the river with a pair of chain ferries (hence, floating bridge) going back and forth.

post-20743-0-02339000-1531175108_thumb.jpg

Not a great picture as it was almost into the sun, and ideally we'd have liked to have parked where the lorries were as there you can frame the buses in one of the arches of the Itchen Bridge but it wasn't to be.

Just been looking through this thread, very interesting. I love a bus my favourite has got to be a mk1 Leyland national I love them. When I was growing up they were everywhere and Barnsley and District used them until about early 2000s I think. I can remember waiting for our school bus to come and another schools bus came around same estate, there's was a battered early mk1 national. Obviously there were some school rivalry egg throwing etc. There bus driver came up with a genius solution. When driving past he dropped it into neutral and revved the hell out if it. We all ran for cover as that much black smoke was coming out you couldn't see you hand in front of your face. I do love the 510 engine