Bus Shite

Felly Magic

Flickr..

Select pic > bottom right is a bent arrow logo > tap = blue box with script to host >> you just want the bit between [i.mg] XXX [/i.mg] inclusive.

*no DOT in IMG... Just to show you :)

26589673888_09c0d883c9_c.jpg

TS

Cheers for that, couldn't get it do so off the mobile version but easy on the laptop!

83c Thanks for those great pictures - If I won the lottery I'd love to save those plaxtons or duple. Just the kind of thing that used to be at the shonkier end of the transport when I was in school. Used to go on on of those Berkhofs too, although I always thought it was a jonkheere.

83c Thanks for those great pictures - If I won the lottery I'd love to save those plaxtons or duple. Just the kind of thing that used to be at the shonkier end of the transport when I was in school. Used to go on on of those Berkhofs too, although I always thought it was a jonkheere.

It'd have to a serious win, all 3 of them are properly rotten. The Bedford is probably the easiest to get bits for and seems the most original, but its still going to be a full glass out, all old panels off, new panels all round job on the body, an all new interior, and every mechanical part stripped and rebuilt. Probably the thick end of £50-60,000 for a fully paid-for job, with around half of that as labour. 

There's a lovely AEC Reliance with Plaxton Supreme bodywork at the moment for around £4500 for sale, ready to go...

When I had my Fleetline rest project, I'd sunk just shy of £7000 into it and it was only halfway done before I became broke. It was also part owned and the other guy had put about the same amount into it as well.

Basically bus restoration is exactly the same as car restoration just much, much bigger, including the bills!

Happily the Fleetline is now done (look up NOV880G) and it attends the occasional rally alongside some of the other vehicles I saved from the scrap man. I may not have any buses anymore but I'm content in the knowledge that I played my part at the time.

And up until recently buses weren't worth a lot, even restored. At the time I had mine, you could buy a working halfcab for £2000 or possibly less. We paid £750 for the Fleetline - the last bus bought by Birmingham Corporation, the VR (NOB413M) cost me £1200 and the midland red short Ford (YHA359J) was a grand.

Ready to go as in driving, or ready for restoration? I can’t believe those costs!

Ready to go as in MoT'd, tidy, etc. Buy a good one to begin with and keep on top of things, its much much cheaper!

Parts-wise, here's a few example costs:

• Tyres - 6x 295/80/22.5's for my Leyland Tiger are between £250-400 each, so £1500-2400 a set. 
  • Brake drums - £140 each.
  • Brake spring chambers (actuates the brake shoes) - £170 each, 4 of per vehicle
  • Front axle kingpin kits - £160 each
  • Alternator - £350 (exchange)

You can see how, especially if its a full-on ground up restoration for a vehicle that has sat for years in a field, costs can easily spiral. A bigger problem is now actually finding the parts for the older vehicles - I have a container with hundreds of parts for my Tiger that I've acquired whenever I've had the opportunity, and by phoning former operators of similar vehicles. 

Me and a mate cleared out the stores of Yorkshire Terrier * Barnsley & District when they withdrew the last Nationals, and gutted their scrappers, I can't see that many modern buses being preserved, due to the complexity and abundance of fragile ECUs, a B10B has passed out of preservation, back to an operator I noticed, not helped that a lot of veg buy buses, then don't have a clue what to do. I did think about preserving a Scania L113 at one point, but seeing how they rotted underneath, bloody glad I didn't, esp as the engines do suffer from OMGHGF too, and EGAS plays up a lot

Guest Hooli

^^^^^ EXCELLENT!

I got a Dart about 2/3rds of that far around out of a bus wash on wet concrete. Lucky it stopped when it did as it was swinging for a row of cars parked in the garage during the day...

Oh & whatever deckers we had at Stagecoach in Worthing would step out if you came down the side of Lancing boating lake & turned right quick enough in the wet... Used up the whole dual cabbage way :D

I remember deliberately putting a Chesterfield AEC Reliance Neepsend sideways around a corner in Derbyshire one very snowie night. Only passenger was a mate who'd come for a ride on it. He went the same colour as the snow.

Most bus companies painted at least one bus silver back in 1977 for the Queens Jubilee. London actually renumbered some RM's into a special series, SRM. Seem to remember that SYPTE put some bloody big royal crests on the front of a DMS style Fleetline as well.

Only time I've encountered the back end stepping out on a bus (the greasy muddy slippy concrete farmyard at John's place doesn't count!) was when Bluebird had just got the batch of 51 plate Man/ALX300 buses in Aberdeen.

Not sure what the deal with those things was - best theory we had was that the gearbox was in the wrong mode. Those things would *shift* if you put your foot down - dropping straight through several years and pegging the rev counter in each gear. Turning out of a junction on a damp road it was easily possible to get the wheels to spin up when the box slammed into second.

Reckon the firmware was updated after a month or two as it seemed to calm down after that.

Most ridiculous performance moment I've come across in a bus? Ex-demonstrator Optare Spectra. Had cruise fitted - because demonstrator - and if you hit "resume" the thing would immediately calculate the fastest possible way to get back to the preset speed. Normal throttle and gearbox mapping went utterly out the window. Scared the living daylights out of me the first time.

Now, the farm John has, there have been many crazy things happening there over the years, especially with some of the rotten hulks that were beyond redemption. Questions which needed answering...such as "can you handbrake turn a coach?" (sort of - though all I saw was ceiling as I ended up standing on my head in the door well as the bugger didn't tell me what he was up to) and "how hard is it really to tip over a double decker?" We're among the madness. The answer to the latter question was "a heck of a lot harder than you would really think." The angles it got to before dropping back level again were utterly baffling.

Should point out that these horrible abuses were all done on vehicles that were really beyond hope, and from which all valuable bits had already been harvested other than a few mechanical bits needed to actually make them go.

Really do need to get to some of the proper shows this year. Though if I wind up coming across a Bedford based Duple Dominant II, especially if actually moving, I'll most likely wind up getting horribly emotional, which nobody wants to see! I'm not ever actually going to hope to get behind the wheel again until I wind up (inevitably) buying one.

STA380R, I blame you. It's that vehicle's fault that I wound up with this interest in the field as a whole. If I had a lottery win (and of course if it hadn't long since been turned to tin cans as I believe it has), I'd buy it tomorrow and restore it and hang the cost.

Some weeks ago after posting some pictures of RMA 10 at least one of you wanted to see more. Coupled with egg posting stuff about songs about Herne Bay prompted me to dig this lot out. I'd go and put the kettle on if I was you, this could take a while.

As mentioned previously my friend Colin had a small fleet of RM's for private hire work and would take on almost anything. I seem to remember this job came from someone he knew at Camberwell or Peckham who also had a preserved RM. He was approached by someone else at the garage who was involved with this band and they wanted a bus for a trip to Herne Bay. This guy didn't fancy the job but Colin was happy to do it.

The job started at midday in Trafalgar Square. I was still a postie then but in those days we finished about 9am on a Saturday, this was 1994, so I was able to drive to Hounslow East (no parking restrictions in the roads around the station then) and jump on the Piccadilly Line and arrive in good time. To be honest I don't think you even needed a conductor on an RMA but Colin always liked to have someone on the back to keep an eye on things and this sounded like a great job that I would have happily done for free.

So the basic premise was take a load of this bands fans to Herne Bay for a gig, and take them home again. Simple.

Here's the bus arriving at Trafalgar Square. Coln kept his buses in a corner of Mullany's Coaches yard in Watford and I would normally meet him there but as I was working I said I'd go straight here. This was before any mobile communications, you just agreed to be in a certain place at a certain time and it always seemed to work.

post-20743-0-71882600-1520163784_thumb.jpgpost-20743-0-65950400-1520164049_thumb.jpg

As you can see, it was a lovely day for a trip to the seaside.

Notice the blinds. Pinhead Nation the band, Where's Herne Bay, the name of their new single, hence them wanting to do a gig there to promote it and fshh5 the catalogue number of said single. Colin liked the little details like this.

Actually I'll let the band tell you about in their own words.

post-20743-0-70288200-1520164403_thumb.jpgpost-20743-0-55921700-1520164442_thumb.jpg

And they also supplied us with a map.

post-20743-0-07695000-1520164372_thumb.jpg

These look like some ancient treasure map, not because they're almost 25 years but because I picked them up off the floor of the bus at the end of the trip. They've looked like this since day one but I've preserved them as such since then.

The first stop was Blackheath Common to meet the band in their van.

post-20743-0-28211100-1520164156_thumb.jpg

The van turned out to be a Bedford CF ex ambulance in blue and white which for some reason I completely failed to get a picture of. I regret this deeply and have no idea why I didn't. So off we set down the A2 with an ex ambulance and slightly faded RMA like a mini hippie convoy.

The original plan was for a picnic on the beach but the weather put paid to that. They'd bought their own comprehensive picnic which took up both downstairs bench seats on the bus. Anyway a couple of them went off for a recce and came back soon after having found a pub that was has happy to have us and our picnic and the rest of the afternoon was spent here. I don't remember now the name of the pub which is a shame because egg could tell us if it was still there. Again, if it was now I would have taken many more photos but at the time I only seemed to do public transport.

Eventually we retired to the Herne Bay Snooker Club (the pub was very close to this if that helps) for the gig. The support act were Zunomen who never troubled the charts but did once pop up on Mark and Lard's old night time Radio 1 show.

Then the main act, Pinhead Nation. This is where the reality started to deviate from the plan. The girlfriend of one of the band was enjoying herself so much she fell over and hit her head on one of the moniters (the stage was only about four inches higher then the main floor). There was some blood and she was rushed off to hospital in Canterbury in the band's Bedford which was kind've neat as it reverted to being an actual ambulance for the first time in fifteen years. I wasn't the only person thinking this was a good thing. It turned out she was OK but they were keeping her in overnight so she wasn't coming back and niether was the ambulance/band van.

The original plan was to get the fans (I think they were just friends of the band, there were about 35 of them) back on the bus as soon as the gig finished and get them back to London but now the band had no transport. They asked if we could help and we were happy to do so, so all the gear was loaded into the lower saloon and most of the passengers fitted upstairs.

Outside the club waiting to load up.

post-20743-0-11450100-1520164233_thumb.jpg

It was now past midnight before we left and even with 55mph cruising thanks to the high speed diff we were into the early hours before we got back to London. A few people started asking which way we were going back. Now, obviously London has an excellent night bus network based on Trafalgar Square so it would have been easy to drop them all back there but I think Colin was enjoying himself so we asked where people were going and a tour of south London was devised. We're talking 2-3am now so it was very quiet. This is definitely the best time to be driving in London.

We were then left with the band and all their gear so off to Wapping we went to unload. And there ends my career as a roadie.

This is outside the studio of Dogfish Records.

post-20743-0-41535600-1520164262_thumb.jpg

You can see in the top right corner that it is just starting to get light.

It was now breakfast time and Colin knew somewhere off Oxford Street that would be open at this time. Again I can't remember where but it was a kiosk, I think meant for taxi drivers, hence it being open at this time.

We just parked up in the middle of Oxford Street.

post-20743-0-67763000-1520164338_thumb.jpg

It's not often you see it this empty.

Whilst standing with camera in hand waiting to take the above picture a taxi came past and these two girls suddenly appeared out of the window.

post-20743-0-18986100-1520164309_thumb.jpg

They obviously wanted their pictures taken so I obliged. It's a bit fuzzy but I had to act quickly. Note the look of worry/confusion on the taxi driver's face. If we had a thread for cars and girls this would be a great entry.

They'd obviously had a good night out too but I'll bet not nearly as good as ours.

I also have this souvenir of the day.

post-20743-0-42349200-1520170030_thumb.jpgpost-20743-0-65672100-1520170076_thumb.jpg

I'd review it but don't really know where to start. It's mainly instrumental and of the words there are the only ones I can make out are "Where's Herne Bay?". To sum it up in three words - a bit shouty. Oddly I googled them expecting them to have faded away before the internet started but no - they're still going! Lots of stuff on YouTube. Good for them!

Kwality, excellent yarn and photosnaps.

Re. your earlier post about Bursledon, I've not been since the early 00s when we took a pal's steam roller there for a event or two, glad to see it still going strong.

Thanks egg. There seems to be an extra floor on the club and nice new windows. I'm guessing it's all flats now?

Yes, think so. Not sure when it was converted from the snooker hall. They look quite new, but have been here at least the 4 years we've been here.

I'm hopeful the pub was the Diver's arms - as that is the one referenced in the other Herne Bay song by Caravan.

You can see the flats on the left hand side of this pic.

20088075946_19d5c20811_b.jpg

Always liked the RMAs, I drove RMA11 a couple of times, although it remains AEC-powered it had lost its high-speed diff when I drove it. Still a nice steer though.

Wasn't that the Verwood Transport one? Sure it was. More photo research required.

RMA 10 was the other way round. It still had it's high speed diff but had lost it's big engine. Still AEC but the standard 590 rather than the 690 it should have had. Still went ok though, after all they were originally designed to tow a trailer as well.