Bus Shite

Felly Magic

Guest Hooli

This is an important question - what's the truth about bus vibes?

attachicon.gifPicture 10.png

From the questions thread.

The average maintenance over the life of a bus is a bit less than the average school run MPV gets.

At least that's how they seem when you drive them, so it's no surprise they are falling apart & rattling.

Buses get checked over every 4-6 weeks by law, but things only get fixed when they go bang or fall off. There was a Dart where I used to work that would hunt between gears, fuck all was done until it wouldn't change to 2nd. Had to limp it round a housing estate at 15 mph with the revs bouncing. Fitter bodged it so it was a semi auto. I was following in the van when the box decided to go in to first at 50, was one hell of a scream from the engine, but somehow the fitter stopped it from going BANG

From the days when an ex Nottingham bus was instantly recognisable whatever colour it may have been subsequently painted (not the National obviously). I remember Maidstone Boroline were running some of these on the 188 in London painted blue/yellow/grey if I remember rightly. It was the very early days of LT tendering when anything went as long as it was the cheapest bidder. Grey Green Ailsas and some really ropey DMSs run by Cityrama on the 196 round Norwood also spring to mind. Not the best time as far as quality of service was concerned but it was interesting from a cranks point of view.

The Royal Blue Run,this coming weekend.

This is well out of my area but may be of interest if any of you are anywhere near any of the routes this weekend.

http://www.tvagwot.org.uk/event-royalblue2017.htm

This came past me on Friday evening. We were in restaurant in London Road, Southampton. First two Royal Blues and an East Kent coach. Front one was an RE or MW coach, not sure which (I know the difference technically but they look very similar). Then a couple more​ Royal Blues came past which is when I thought I ought to Google it. Saw about ten coaches in the end. Certainly livened up the meal, though I'm not sure Mrs Yoss thought so every time I said "there's another one".

This is one hell of a road run.

post-20743-0-37789700-1497819642_thumb.gif

Day two looked best.

• 3 weeks later...

MB 0303, one of my favourite non UK buses, although the 0302 was better. Remember my late father bringing me a model of a 0302 one back from Europe (on a works trip) some time in early the '70's, you could remove the roof, the front and rear running units, always liked them. Might still have it somewhere.

There's a fair few 0303s still in Greece and they are far better than any modern shite. I've driven lots of shite over the last 40 years or so, must find some pictures of them and post them here.

• 2 weeks later...

Rare modernshite, only just in service with Adam Barham, and named after himself, an Optare bodied Dennis Trident (Enviro), ex CT Plus, Hackney, been single door converted, and goes for retrim and the full Panther treatment next week, and no doubt a private plate will be stuck on too

post-5211-0-13992000-1500770599_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

First Eastern Counties had an open day at Norwich depot today in aid of East Anglia Childrens Hospice, a very worthy cause, a fair few preserved buse were in attendance, and fresh out of the paint shop was a heritage liveried ex First Yorkshire Volvo B7L single deck, which compliments Ipswich's B7TL, which has now been named after a sadly departed driver, who passed away suddenly. Here's a sample of what was there, more will follow when I edit them, including the very last Bristol VRT for NBC, now owned by Viv Carter, and was restored from an engineless hulk. 2 of the heritage buses are ex Yorkshire Rider, bizarre choices of buses really

post-5211-0-11837800-1502658656_thumb.jpg

post-5211-0-60193900-1502658664_thumb.jpg

post-5211-0-34447300-1502658671_thumb.jpg

post-5211-0-38239500-1502658679_thumb.jpg