Scene or shite?

pandamonium

In a week or so, I'm going to acquire another car.Its a 1986/7 VW Polo Squareback with 63,000 on the clock It's been used as someones first car, but he's no chav so it shouldn't be too bad. Got a years test on it and a little bit of tax. A bit tatty round the edges but solid overall. All mine for £200! (Would've been £300, but I told him to keep the crappy alloys!) Got no pics yet, but hope to collect it soon. I'll probably not modify it, just smoke around in it for a while.

Not really noticed much scene tax being applied to these which is good as they are alright actually 1 A squareback 1.3 Ranger with roofrails and stuff would float my boat or even better a later GT or G40 although these are getting a bit pricer now :roll:

Polo. Urgh. I once bought one on eBay for £21 with T&T. Went all the way to southend to fetch it. The clutch release bearing made an awful sound but I reckoned once I got on the motorway I was home & dry. Unfortunately once the engine got warm it kept stalling. I think I got about 3 miles before ditching it unlocked in a side-street with the keys & V5 in the sunvisor

£200 for something with a year's test is EXTREMELY good value these days. Let's hope the MOT tester was a half-decent one, and the stuff that doesn't get tested (like the cooling system, clutch, gearbox etc!) is OK. If it's the 1043cc version get your egg timer out to measure the 0-60.Does this supplement or replace anything in your current fleet then?

My first car was a Polo Coupe S, it was fun but shockingly under-engineered (no brake servo for RHD cars and the steering geometry meant it'd make a break for the scenery every time you went over a bump), generally badly built and the 'Pissburg' carburettor was a nightmare.They're pretty over-rated for how terrible they are. I still liked it though.

I bought one for a ton nearly 5 years ago, a 4-speed 1043 H plate. Stability was pants until I changed the rear shocks, the front ones could have made a huge difference but I couldn't be arsed. The brakes weren't a problem, no servo means no increase in pedal effort when the servo dissapates so GR8 4 COASTIN.Not a bad little car, must have been much better with 5 gears and a bit more power.