Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The News 24 Thread

• Please log in to reply
42623 replies to this topic

#42361 OFFLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

• Full Members
  • 3,737 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLurking.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:35 PM

As incredulous as this may seem, it appears the (1.7 n/a diesel) engine in my Mk3 Astra estate is writing cheques that the headlights cannot honour.

Surely for that to happen, with that engine, the headlights are completely non-functioning right now?

• The Moog, Lacquer Peel and Cavcraft like this

#42362 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 5,935 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:38 PM

Interesting, can you point me to anything that explains the link?

Thanks
Ben

Not that I can find, I seem to recall reading it in the MGOC mag years ago when I was a member.

From memory the Triumph engine is based on the early A-series (pre-mini) hence the head is the other way around. I believe prototype minis suffered a lot of carb icing so the head got reversed.

#42363 OFFLINE   purplebargeken

purplebargeken

Someone who is developing reduced levels of patience!

• Full Members
  • 10,260 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationSatan's Shitty Toilet

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:05 PM

Dolopmites can be made to handle quite well.

Decent shocks, uprated/lowered springs front and rear, front and rear ARB's, polybushes, one solid and one polybushed steering rack bushes. Decent tyres.

Trackerjack brake conversion. BMW lights can indeed be fitted.Sure I remember something about XJ40 lights but could be wrong.

As mentioned earlier, tons of panels available via the TDC.

• SiC likes this

#42364 OFFLINE   purplebargeken

purplebargeken

Someone who is developing reduced levels of patience!

• Full Members
  • 10,260 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationSatan's Shitty Toilet

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:06 PM

SiC, seriously if you are interested then go for it. Prices are finally on the way up after being in the doldrums for decades. The boat is getting ready to sail.

#42365 ONLINE   Ghosty

Ghosty

Some people get all the breaks...

• Full Members
  • 6,082 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationManchester

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:19 PM

Wish I could afford a Dolly, I'd love something like that. Have for a long time. 

One day.

1987 Volvo 740 GLE

My name is Max!

#42366 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationLarose, Louisiana

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:55 AM

It cooled off a little tonight so I decided to go it to the garage and free off the front left brake. Wheel off, screwdriver in, lever out, pedal down, repeat. Freed off nicely so I took the car for a quick* test drive. Everything got back to normal by the time I got back which was nice, all the suspension settled down but it's highlighted a fun problem, above 3500 RPM the computer freaks out and the tacho goes haywire (think Junkman's P6B) and the car tries to fire itself into orbit kangarooing.

In true French style,I believe the crank position sensor has gone rusty and it's doing a Laguna.

--Phil

* 30 Mile round trip
  • tooSavvy likes this
I'm a Byte Wizard. I've been told so.
131372.png

#42367 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,747 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:32 AM

Not that I can find, I seem to recall reading it in the MGOC mag years ago when I was a member.

From memory the Triumph engine is based on the early A-series (pre-mini) hence the head is the other way around. I believe prototype minis suffered a lot of carb icing so the head got reversed.

That would be a bit strange given Triumph wasn't drawn into BMC until well after the 1300 had been into production. My understanding was it was just the Heralds old engine, with the 1500 proving a stretch too far for an engine that started as 948cc. (Well, 803 in the Standard 8).

• Justin Case, alf892 and BenHar like this

1986 Citroen 2CV6, 1995 Lexus LS400
1997 Honda S-MX, 2001 Perodua Nippa
HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twatter

#42368 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,747 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:33 AM

Ah. Could confusion come from the fact that the early life of the engine exactly mirrored A series capacity?

1986 Citroen 2CV6, 1995 Lexus LS400
1997 Honda S-MX, 2001 Perodua Nippa
HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twatter

#42369 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,839 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:50 AM

SiC, seriously if you are interested then go for it. Prices are finally on the way up after being in the doldrums for decades. The boat is getting ready to sail.

Seriously tempted. Maybe next year after I've had some use (and fun) out of my MGB. Unfortunately can't justify (nor allowed) to have a fourth car. It'd probably be more usable for me too in the future due to the the extra seats compared to the MGB.
  • purplebargeken likes this
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#42370 OFFLINE   M'coli

M'coli

• Full Members
  • 7,394 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationSemper semi somnus

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:16 AM

It wasn't the head that got reversed, it was the entire engine! If they'd just reversed the head then changing points in the distributor would have been almost impossible if the exhaust was hot never mind the lack of space.

It's odd how the 1500 engine is much maligned but not the 6-cylinder 2500 engine which had an even longer stroke than the 1500.
  • BenHar likes this

"How would ya get a maaa-chine to do that?"

#42371 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 2,857 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:20 AM

Looking for a mk3/4/5 petrol twin wheel transit van for the winter to save my mk2. Malta seems to be the only place they have survived in decent numbers and most are diesels by now which is a no go living this close to the LEZ.

#42372 OFFLINE   320touring

320touring

• Full Members
  • 7,602 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:54 AM

Surely for that to happen, with that engine, the headlights are completely non-functioning right now?

Alternator belt failure = Moar hp and less light;)
  • Supernaut likes this
Read about my chod based adventures here:
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

#42373 OFFLINE   somewhatfoolish

somewhatfoolish

• Full Members
  • 747 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationArgyll&Buteshire

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:05 AM

Unfortunately, he deleted his post pretty swiftly.

Fortunately, not before I captured it.  

Fucking ace.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

It's not even properly in the centre, zipposhite.

• BorniteIdentity likes this

#42374 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 2,483 posts
  • 11 thanks

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

It's not even properly in the centre, zipposhite.

That was my favourite thing about it. One fucking job and all that....

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  215k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  181k|   1994 Mercedes C180.  128k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  153k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

#42375 OFFLINE   Beige 1100

Beige 1100

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:33 PM

It wasn't the head that got reversed, it was the entire engine!

WHS!  The carb icing problem was (largely) solved, but the distributor now sat in the way of any water thrown up from the vehicles in front, hence the proliferation of plastic ignition shields.  But more importantly, BMC now had a car with one forward gear and four reverse, hence the need for the little 'idler' gear between engine and gearbox in the sump below.

#42376 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 10,216 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:52 PM

Looking for a mk3/4/5 petrol twin wheel transit van for the winter to save my mk2. Malta seems to be the only place they have survived in decent numbers and most are diesels by now which is a no go living this close to the LEZ.

Twin wheels were only on the Mk3.  Mk4 and Mk5 190s got "super singles" at the back.  Unless you go for a pickup / chassis cab.

#42377 OFFLINE   andy18s

andy18s

• Full Members
  • 2,798 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

That was my favourite thing about it. One fucking job and all that....

Tbf that's how Ford would have done it.....
2x Vivaro vans.....for now amyway

#42378 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 12,992 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

Today I am mostly dying Princess carpetting.  I'm still keeping schtum about the product until it's all dried properly.  I've never dyed carpets before so I don't really know what to expect beyond videos of results I've seen online.  The thing that has impressed me is that the sun-fade disappeared on the first coat, the stains that wouldn't shampoo out have disappeared on the second coat and it smells quite pleasant.  Even the colour is fairly accurate to the sample provided online, though that could be because the colour I'm using is pretty close to the original carpet colour.  I'm limited on space so I can only do one section at a time and that's going to probably take me the rest of the week as a result.  I had hoped to do this outdoors but it is pissing it down today and the other indoor workspace we have is full of cars or shed panels.

The only downside is that the trigger on the spray cans is rubbish.  It's not that it doesn't work, it's just really uncomfortable and feels very flimsy.  I'll do a proper update in the build thread on this when it's all finished, just wanted to say I'm having a good time doing a car job.

EDITED TO ADD: okay, maybe one little picture.  New on the top, old on the bottom.

20171011-02.jpg

• danthecapriman, The Moog, catsinthewelder and 7 others like this

#42379 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,592 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:33 PM

I'll be interested to see how your carpeting goes vulg, I could do with doing the same on my Volvo's carpets. It's supposed to be tan/beige but on one side front and rear it's faded badly so I've ended up with two tone carpets side-side! The car must have always been parked in the same place for years with the sun fading one side only!
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#42380 OFFLINE   M'coli

M'coli

• Full Members
  • 7,394 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationSemper semi somnus

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

WHS!  The carb icing problem was (largely) solved, but the distributor now sat in the way of any water thrown up from the vehicles in front, hence the proliferation of plastic ignition shields.  But more importantly, BMC now had a car with one forward gear and four reverse, hence the need for the little 'idler' gear between engine and gearbox in the sump below.

I believe the alternative explanation for the idler is the reduced inertia in three small diameter gears rather than two larger diameter ones - the original configuration had proved too much for the synchromesh of the A35 gearset (and before the question gets asked about the A35 gearset, where else were they going to get a ready-made A-series gearset from?).

"How would ya get a maaa-chine to do that?"

#42381 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • 29 thanks

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

Going for a session down the scrapyard tomorrow. Can’t wait!
  • RobT and egg like this

#42382 OFFLINE   Cavcraft

Cavcraft

• Staff
  • 35,430 posts
  • 125 thanks
  • LocationI'm not a racist, I'm merely supporting my country! and central locking

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

Today I am mostly dying Princess carpetting.  I'm still keeping schtum about the product until it's all dried properly.  I've never dyed carpets before so I don't really know what to expect beyond videos of results I've seen online.  The thing that has impressed me is that the sun-fade disappeared on the first coat, the stains that wouldn't shampoo out have disappeared on the second coat and it smells quite pleasant.  Even the colour is fairly accurate to the sample provided online, though that could be because the colour I'm using is pretty close to the original carpet colour.  I'm limited on space so I can only do one section at a time and that's going to probably take me the rest of the week as a result.  I had hoped to do this outdoors but it is pissing it down today and the other indoor workspace we have is full of cars or shed panels.

The only downside is that the trigger on the spray cans is rubbish.  It's not that it doesn't work, it's just really uncomfortable and feels very flimsy.  I'll do a proper update in the build thread on this when it's all finished, just wanted to say I'm having a good time doing a car job.

EDITED TO ADD: okay, maybe one little picture.  New on the top, old on the bottom.

attachicon.gif20171011-02.jpg

That's really clever, I hope it works out for you. Keep us posted, please, especially as regards how long it lasts (hopefully forevs)

"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain"

#42383 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 2,857 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

Twin wheels were only on the Mk3. Mk4 and Mk5 190s got "super singles" at the back. Unless you go for a pickup / chassis cab.

Never realised that! It would explain why there are so few about! I was thinking it would be easy to convert a mk4/5 to the mk3 front whilst doing the annual wheel arch bogging up that most seem to need.

#42384 OFFLINE   Slowsilver

Slowsilver

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 43 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationNot Milton Keynes, but close

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:18 PM

The only downside is that the trigger on the spray cans is rubbish.  It's not that it doesn't work, it's just really uncomfortable and feels very flimsy.

You could buy a cheap aerosol can gun.

They make them much more comfortable to use.

Just search for "aerosol can gun" on Ebay or suchlike.

Loads to choose from for a couple of quid or less.

Some clip inside the ring below the nozzle, some round the outside.

One type doesn't always fit all types of can.

I bought one of each and one or the other has always fitted.

Looking good so far.

Will be interesting to see the final result.

• AngusToledo likes this

#42385 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 12,992 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

I've got one of those guns, they're great for standard aerosols with the push tops.  These cans aren't like that, they're an odd trigger cap design that isn't very comfortable.

The dye has covered surprisingly well and evened out the variations in tone which is pretty impressive when you consider just how large a variation that was on this carpet.  After two coats and drying time the orange has mellowed so it's not quite so bright, which is good as I didn't want the carpet to be too orange.  A third coat will probably see it completely uniform, I'm holding off doing that until I've got two coats on the other two pieces so I know I've got enough dye to do it all to the same standard.  It certainly doesn't look like a worn out nearly 40 year old carpet any more.  I'll have to see what it's like long term with wear and tear, that's going to take time of course.  Short term it looks very promising.

If this works out I'll have renewed the carpets for £35.

• The Moog, purplebargeken, somewhatfoolish and 1 other like this

#42386 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 3,871 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:41 PM

Resilient is an odd choice of word in that context. Makes me think that the job is shit and they want someone that will put up with it.

Resilience is something companies like for example: Rolls Royce Plc (Not the Automotive RR at all) seem to use in a stress related / mental health way.

I think it may be that I described why I left Garrett (Honeywell engine boosting in 2000). Having spent 12 months, working on a new semi-automated assembly line for a new product line - Commercial Diesel Variable Nozzle Turbos, which had an robot cell and 5 semi automated/manual stations, and cost £500K, I was told by my boss that the whole project had been planned to go to New Mexico all along, but he felt he couldn't trust me to actually share that information. I took this as a personal insult (which it fucking was) and within 3 weeks had a job offer elsewhere.

Perhaps I will learn not to be too honest at my next interview.

This next bit is all a bit long winded so sorry in advance.  

Now a few weeks ago I spoke to a recruitment guy who is like the gate keeper for Rolls Royce (they have a sole contract for interim staff and I've worked via them for 3.5 years between 2010 and 2014) about a contract he'd advertised at Barnoldswick, which is almost commutable from L37, and he told me that it had all gone dead,  Then he was trying to get me to put my name forward for a contract that involves lots of travel across the UK, but I know there are 2 roles, and I want the one that pays £125 more a day. 

The other one, they seem not to be able to fill. Strange that.

Must be that the rate is shite, but hey wait a while and they'll be 2000 people from BAE System only too ready to do it, for free.

Then I know he asked 2 other people about a job in New Clear on the other side of the site from where I am, before he asked me if I'd be interested. Only £2 an hour less than I'm on. Last week I said yes, because I thought "better to get a 5 day a week 12 month contract in Derby, than be doing 3 days a week in Derby with a contract that ends at Christmas"

An interview was arranged for Today and I was able to email the hiring manager, that  there was no need for me to go to reception as my swipe card works his building.

Anyway, I had second thoughts. I thought I'd rather work 3 days a week until Christmas and then take my chances for the new year.

He sent me a really nice email back saying I was to contact him direct if I ever changed my mind as they always need people.

Almost within 10 mins of that, I got an email from an RC asking me to phone him.  I'd spoken to this guy about a job in Barrow in Furness, but we'd both agreed it wasn't for me. I don't have those skills, and Barrow is too far - Unless I was without any work in which case nowhere is too far.

Seems, that he'd "given a sample of CV's" to a company near Burnley (50 miles from my house - 45 miles on the motorway network), just after talking to me before, and it took them 4 weeks to respond, but now they'd like to meet me. I told him what I'd need as an hourly rate, and within an hour he had a meeting arranged for me with them on Friday.

Strange world, this life of contracting.

• chaseracer and purplebargeken like this

#42387 OFFLINE   Heritage motor centre

Heritage motor centre

Feckless Idiot

• Full Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationDevon

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

Picked up my £160 mondeo today. It goes. It stops. After chucking it through a car wash and giving it a hoover out it also looks semi respectable. All for £160 with 10 months test. The world has gone mad. I recon it being a povo spec 1.8I helped, plus it's not a "premium" badge, and is neither interesting nor scene, and its too old for image conscious buyers. It's in a no mans land. I'm not complaining.
IMG_2464.PNG IMG_2472.JPG IMG_2471.JPG IMG_2474.JPG
  • Pillock, Richard, chaseracer and 11 others like this
2002 Ford Mondeo 1.8LX Estate
2004 Ford Mondeo Tdci Ghia Estate
2004 Ford Mondeo ST220 hatch

#42388 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 5,935 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:27 PM

Love the glovebox, that's class.

#42389 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,839 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:04 PM

Seriously tempted. Maybe next year after I've had some use (and fun) out of my MGB. Unfortunately can't justify (nor allowed) to have a fourth car. It'd probably be more usable for me too in the future due to the the extra seats compared to the MGB.

Must resist...
s-l1600.jpg
https://m.ebay.co.uk...ed/322818030458

s-l1600.jpg
https://m.ebay.co.uk...pt/132359969250
  • purplebargeken and dome like this
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#42390 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 5,935 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:05 PM

I like the blue one from the pic, not looked at the links.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)