Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The News 24 Thread

• Please log in to reply
42633 replies to this topic

#42331 ONLINE   BenHar

BenHar

• Full Members
  • 799 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationReigate, Surrey

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:27 PM

I think the 1500 is the same as Spitfire/Midget 1500s, which means it's an A series without the reversed head and the original 803cc sized three crank bearings.

No, it is the same as the Spitfire/Midget, but they are all the Triumph engine.

It came in 998 (I think), 1147, 1296 and 1493 variants.

Ben

CHRIS1980, on 08 Jan 2016 - 8:37 PM, said:snapback.png

Your clearly thick....end of.

#42332 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 5,958 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:27 PM

Yes, as I understand it the Triumph engine was based on the same design as the A series, hence my comment.

#42333 OFFLINE   somewhatfoolish

somewhatfoolish

• Full Members
  • 747 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationArgyll&Buteshire

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:00 PM

Spraying the whole thing so close enough is fine. It'll upset the hardcore collectors but fuck em. I just don't want to keep buying random cans and hoping, if someone can scan the actual colour in and get 85.7% of it spot on that'll be easier! Will post about on Facebook locally first when I get some money and see what's about

You can get colour scanning apps for smart phones, or for a more calibrated colour match decent paint shops will have a gadget to scan your hoover. An ancient thread about it on pistonheads.

The trumpet 1300 was stretched into the 1500 and dropped into the Midget; it's a pretty mediocre engine with a marginal bottom end, tuning them heavily will cause fragging. Nothing to do with the A series at all other than both being produced by the same dysfunctional corporation.

As Sprints are in the non-AS price range these days, the 1850 is a better bet; 90% of the performance can be had and arguably less danger of OMGHGF and associated hazards. Uprated brakes might be needed if you use the performance though, as I think the Sprint had uprated brakes(TR6?) over the other Dollys.

#42334 OFFLINE   Eddie Honda

Eddie Honda

• Full Members
  • 3,204 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

The 1500 doesn't appear to have a good record for anything

FTFY. It's a crock of shite.
  • purplebargeken and MarvinsMom like this

#42335 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 5,958 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:09 PM

Having said all that I had a 1500 Midget for 9 years & I got it when I was 21. You can guess how a young bloke drove a RWD sports car by the fact I had to replace a halfshaft and a diff two years apart that both blew sideways around the same corner. Never a spot of problem with the engine & I put a lot of miles on it in that time.

#42336 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,844 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:20 AM

You can get colour scanning apps for smart phones, or for a more calibrated colour match decent paint shops will have a gadget to scan your hoover. An ancient thread about it on pistonheads.

The trumpet 1300 was stretched into the 1500 and dropped into the Midget; it's a pretty mediocre engine with a marginal bottom end, tuning them heavily will cause fragging. Nothing to do with the A series at all other than both being produced by the same dysfunctional corporation.

As Sprints are in the non-AS price range these days, the 1850 is a better bet; 90% of the performance can be had and arguably less danger of OMGHGF and associated hazards. Uprated brakes might be needed if you use the performance though, as I think the Sprint had uprated brakes(TR6?) over the other Dollys.

I have seen sprints going for the 6-7k mark on eBay. Not cheap, cheap but still not ridiculous amount (imo). A lot of them appear to be well cared for too.

Shame the 1500 isn't any good, as you can pick them up for reasonable monies. E.g.
s-l1600.jpg
https://rover.ebay.c...tm/122741811723

There was a red one on recently too for similar.

Not sure if it's the angle of them but the square lighted cars look depressed.
s-l1600.jpg
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/332404658719

How well do they all actually handle? I assume much better than a MGB GT? :D
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#42337 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 2,483 posts
  • 11 thanks

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:50 AM

Unfortunately, he deleted his post pretty swiftly.

Fortunately, not before I captured it.  

Fucking ace.

Capture.PNG

• Pillock, M'coli, HillmanImp and 7 others like this

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  215k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  181k|   1994 Mercedes C180.  128k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  153k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

#42338 OFFLINE   Justin Case

Justin Case

• Full Members
  • 2,213 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:48 AM

The 1850cc Dolomite engine is not recommended. It is the same as the earlier Saab 99 engine (or is it the other way round.) The timing chain is made of elastic and as the cylinder head bolts go into the block at an angle, HGF is always lurking in the background :( Would it possible to arrange a marriage between the top half of a Saab B series engine and the bottom half of a Dolomite engine. 145 BHP just by bolting on a turbo :)

• SiC likes this
I tried to deny the existence of Ohm's Law, but I met too much resistance.

My photos: http://[email protected]/?saved=1

#42339 OFFLINE   stuboy

stuboy

• Full Members
  • 3,264 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • Locationashford kent

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:38 AM

Thought id check the pollen filter.... oh...

Attached Images

• 20171010_100442.jpg

• worldofceri and egg like this

END of the road for the  MONTURDO !! :-(  :-(  :-(  

Long live fozzie the Focus  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:   

#42340 ONLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

• Full Members
  • 3,741 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLurking.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

So what was wrong with catsinthewelder's van? I'm rather intrigued now.
  • catsinthewelder likes this

#42341 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 5,958 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

I believe a lot of bits that should be inside are now outside, starting with the oil.

I'd like to know too.

• catsinthewelder likes this

#42342 ONLINE   captain_70s

captain_70s

Dolomite Fondler

• Full Members
  • 1,298 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationWeegietown

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:00 PM

How well do they all actually handle? I assume much better than a MGB GT? :D

The low powered cars an infinitely chuckable but are no match for a modern car. With my 1300 light understeer was the order of the day with the occasional 4 wheel drift as the 155/80s tried to find grip, body roll is hilarious by modern standards but seems to have little effect on the car's ability to stay on the road, the Dolly forum said that things get scary long before they get dangerous, I'd agree. With a healthy, stock 1300 motor spirited driving involves finding a narrow and windy road and keeping the accelerator pinned to the floor while never actually getting above 50mph, all the power lives at the top end so 3rd gear at 4,000rpm+ and speed conservation are your friends.

The 1850 is another beast. Much more torque at the low end, wheel spin starts can be achieved without even trying in wet conditions. The PO really used to fling it about but I was too chicken, used mine as a comfortable, economical cruiser. To be fair I fucked the steering by coming off a roundabout backwards after owning it a week, they're probably better when the steering doesn't feature 2+ inches of play... I was painfully aware of the fact that if the arse stepped out I'd never be able to catch it, although the Dolomite steering is usually very tight and accurate, great road feel, as evidenced by the 1300.

Having said that it was still great to take advantage of the torque, sat at 60 in top gear and stamping the go pedal would get you to terrifying speeds in a satisfyingly loud and rapid manner.

The 1850 isn't really all that fragile, there are two main problems. Water pumps start failing are are a pain to replace, this also causes overheating which is the downfall of the Triumph slant-4. If you cook a head gasket taking the head off can be an utter nightmare as the studs really enjoy snapping, it's do-able but I opted for buying a whole spare engine rather than ever try and take mine apart! The second thing is the timing chain, a good chain and tensioner will last about 60k, however a lot of cars are fitted with a Rolon chain/tensioner kit which are famously made of chocolate and can and will fail within a couple of thousand miles...

The 1300 lump is the same as the Spitfire/Herald unit (mostly), all the parts are available and it's insultingly easy to work on. The only thing to watch for is ensuring it's getting good oil flow and that the bottom end isn't rumbling, rebuilds tend to occur at about 100k or so depending on use. They are also low geared, 60mph in top is damn near 4000rpm, but you'll never know 'cause there is no rev counter!

The 1500 is a 50mph plodder, use the torque to keep the revs low and they'll last just fine. Extended use higher up the rev range causes the big end bearings to vanish at an alarming rate, and overdrive gearbox helps a lot.

• purplebargeken, Vince70, SiC and 1 other like this

2005 Honda Civic 1.6i "Executive" - Don't like it. A grand'll take it...

1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Forever car is forever

1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Donated to a Clio collecting nutter for restoration.

#42343 OFFLINE   3VOM

3VOM

• Full Members
  • 548 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:57 PM

Eric the car guy has new car :

1994 Acura Legend Coupe Type II 6 Speed !
  • Bobthebeard, Honey Badger and SiC like this

What's the retail on one of those plumbed in fire extinguisher systems?

#42344 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,844 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:01 PM

The low powered cars an infinitely chuckable but are no match for a modern car. With my 1300 light understeer was the order of the day with the occasional 4 wheel drift as the 155/80s tried to find grip, body roll is hilarious by modern standards but seems to have little effect on the car's ability to stay on the road, the Dolly forum said that things get scary long before they get dangerous, I'd agree. With a healthy, stock 1300 motor spirited driving involves finding a narrow and windy road and keeping the accelerator pinned to the floor while never actually getting above 50mph, all the power lives at the top end so 3rd gear at 4,000rpm+ and speed conservation are your friends.

The 1850 is another beast. Much more torque at the low end, wheel spin starts can be achieved without even trying in wet conditions. The PO really used to fling it about but I was too chicken, used mine as a comfortable, economical cruiser. To be fair I fucked the steering by coming off a roundabout backwards after owning it a week, they're probably better when the steering doesn't feature 2+ inches of play... I was painfully aware of the fact that if the arse stepped out I'd never be able to catch it, although the Dolomite steering is usually very tight and accurate, great road feel, as evidenced by the 1300.

Having said that it was still great to take advantage of the torque, sat at 60 in top gear and stamping the go pedal would get you to terrifying speeds in a satisfyingly loud and rapid manner.

The 1850 isn't really all that fragile, there are two main problems. Water pumps start failing are are a pain to replace, this also causes overheating which is the downfall of the Triumph slant-4. If you cook a head gasket taking the head off can be an utter nightmare as the studs really enjoy snapping, it's do-able but I opted for buying a whole spare engine rather than ever try and take mine apart! The second thing is the timing chain, a good chain and tensioner will last about 60k, however a lot of cars are fitted with a Rolon chain/tensioner kit which are famously made of chocolate and can and will fail within a couple of thousand miles...

The 1300 lump is the same as the Spitfire/Herald unit (mostly), all the parts are available and it's insultingly easy to work on. The only thing to watch for is ensuring it's getting good oil flow and that the bottom end isn't rumbling, rebuilds tend to occur at about 100k or so depending on use. They are also low geared, 60mph in top is damn near 4000rpm, but you'll never know 'cause there is no rev counter!

The 1500 is a 50mph plodder, use the torque to keep the revs low and they'll last just fine. Extended use higher up the rev range causes the big end bearings to vanish at an alarming rate, and overdrive gearbox helps a lot.

You're not helping my want for one of them. I just wished I had more room ... which probably is a good thing I don't.

Current Fleet:

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#42345 ONLINE   captain_70s

captain_70s

Dolomite Fondler

• Full Members
  • 1,298 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationWeegietown

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:21 PM

You're not helping my want for one of them. I just wished I had more room ... which probably is a good thing I don't.

On the flipside all the metalwork is like tin foil, sills and A pillars rot from the inside out, door skins are a service item and every bolt and fixing on the underside will snap long before it considers undoing. Also the front end is one big rust trap and every panel is welded, rather than bolted, on so replacement is a pain in the arse.
  • SiC and Hooli like this

2005 Honda Civic 1.6i "Executive" - Don't like it. A grand'll take it...

1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Forever car is forever

1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Donated to a Clio collecting nutter for restoration.

#42346 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,844 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

On the flipside all the metalwork is like tin foil, sills and A pillars rot from the inside out, door skins are a service item and every bolt and fixing on the underside will snap long before it considers undoing. Also the front end is one big rust trap and every panel is welded, rather than bolted, on so replacement is a pain in the arse.

So buying one like this is a recipe for a really bad time?!
s-l16001.jpg
s-l16001.jpg
http://www.ebay.co.u...ct/332403717111
Current Fleet:

#42347 OFFLINE   Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

• Full Members
  • 172 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

On that one - from the photo's

Bulkhead shot

Sills both gone

Boot floor not looking good

Front wing, inner and h-lamp mounting panel all in various states of gone-itude......

Doors will be naffed

inner sills and floor probably totally shot too - as seals will never be water tight (none of mine have been - even new/replaced)

Sadly - they are one of those cars that always seem to be in the price bracket of - totally restored and hence silly-bids-only thanks or never looked after and money-pit/soul draining temptresses of Leyland goodness......... I always always seem to pick the latter ones up, bit like real life really :-(

• egg likes this

#42348 OFFLINE   drum

drum

• Full Members
  • 2,142 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationKirriemuir

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

I got some slabs FOC a while back and decided to make some use of them today.DSC_1556.JPG
  • chaseracer, Twiggy, worldofceri and 13 others like this
'68 land rover 109 3.3 perkins
'71 land rover tacr1 x2
'73 puch maxi 0.05
'79 Brown allegro 1.1
'93 Maestro 1.3
'01 omega 2.6
'02 transit van 2.4

#42349 OFFLINE   catsinthewelder

catsinthewelder

• Full Members
  • 2,863 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationLudlow

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:59 PM

From roadside tinkering we found one of the pulleys on the aux belt was seized, a pipe to the brake servo was sheered off and all the oil was out beyond that I don't know yet but I will find out.

The garage were a bit confused when I dropped it off as it isn't a van hire van, I was working for someone else that day.
96 Disastra Estate in Vulgalours hat purple
94 Peugeot 405 Estate
93 Land Rover Discovery 200TDI

#42350 OFFLINE   shumarialto

shumarialto

• Full Members
  • 4,521 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationNear Edinburgh

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

I got some slabs FOC a while back and decided to make some use of them today.attachicon.gifDSC_1556.JPG

I like those Santa Fe's. Newer shape than the one i had. Only thing i can't cope with is the off centre rear plate.  :?

• drum likes this

#42351 ONLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

• Full Members
  • 3,741 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLurking.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:28 PM

From roadside tinkering we found one of the pulleys on the aux belt was seized, a pipe to the brake servo was sheered off and all the oil was out beyond that I don't know yet but I will find out.

The garage were a bit confused when I dropped it off as it isn't a van hire van, I was working for someone else that day.

I'm struggling to put all those symptoms together into something that makes sense. Even more perplexing!

#42352 OFFLINE   catsinthewelder

catsinthewelder

• Full Members
  • 2,863 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationLudlow

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

We wondered if the vac pump had an oil feed that had somehow broken. Essentially we smelt burning then saw the oil light so turned it off and coasted to a halt.
96 Disastra Estate in Vulgalours hat purple
94 Peugeot 405 Estate
93 Land Rover Discovery 200TDI

#42353 OFFLINE   Arthur Foxhake

Arthur Foxhake

• Full Members
  • 628 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:53 PM

Quite often they have thrown a leg out of bed.
Changed a few that have now, won't use second hand engines anymore either, we get them new/reconditioned from Ford.
First one we did was a "low mileage" engine that only did another 10k.
These are on HiAb equipped vehicles so not exactly throw away after engine blow material.

#42354 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 3,871 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:09 PM

Feedback from my interview on Friday with the 2 French men.

They gave the contract to someone with more recent automotive experience. Who they thought would be more resilient.

FFS I worked for Lucas Industries for 9 years, Garrett for 2, and a Hydraulics supplier to JCB for 6,  plus 1 year making thrust reversers and 1 year making stuff for offshore oil industry, before becoming a contractor and working in Defence, Aero, Wind and Nuclear for 8 years.

Grrr.

#42355 ONLINE   BenHar

BenHar

• Full Members
  • 799 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationReigate, Surrey

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:27 PM

Yes, as I understand it the Triumph engine was based on the same design as the A series, hence my comment.

Interesting, can you point me to anything that explains the link?

Thanks
Ben

CHRIS1980, on 08 Jan 2016 - 8:37 PM, said:snapback.png

Your clearly thick....end of.

#42356 ONLINE   MattLikesCars

MattLikesCars

• Full Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationSouth West Scotland

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:33 PM

Unfortunately, he deleted his post pretty swiftly.

Fortunately, not before I captured it.  

Fucking ace.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Still on eBay though  :-D

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.u...BkAAOSwIC1Z25RO

To be fair they do say...

Please note that this is not an official Ford lighter

• BorniteIdentity likes this

#42357 OFFLINE   cort1977

cort1977

• Full Members
  • 1,097 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

Feedback from my interview on Friday with the 2 French men.

They gave the contract to someone with more recent automotive experience. Who they thought would be more resilient.

Seems like resilient is the current management word du jour, I keep hearing it everywhere.   Twats.

Shame about the job but you should have no trouble finding another with that amount of experience.

1974 Pontiac Grand Ville Convertible - The Exxon Valdez

1970 Ford Cortina Estate - In a shed in Ireland

#42358 OFFLINE   stuboy

stuboy

• Full Members
  • 3,264 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • Locationashford kent

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:23 PM

Decided ill put on mudflaps.. keep all cack out.. and thought i know ill swap the foglights to st ones.. oh differnt plugs, thats no prob, but... other day they stopped working so i checked no power to plug... arr check the earth nothing so place probe on suspension leg and got reading, added new earth from battery and still 12v.. popped indoors for wizz came out started the car turned on the foglights and nothing...wtf.. fuse is ok...rear fog works.. only conclusion is duff switjch so one ordered Ebai !!

Attached Images

• 20171010_170004.jpg
  • 20171010_201015.jpg

END of the road for the  MONTURDO !! :-(  :-(  :-(  

Long live fozzie the Focus  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:   

#42359 ONLINE   MattLikesCars

MattLikesCars

• Full Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationSouth West Scotland

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:29 PM

Who they thought would be more resilient.

Seems like resilient is the current management word du jour, I keep hearing it everywhere.   Twats.

Resilient is an odd choice of word in that context. Makes me think that the job is shit and they want someone that will put up with it.

• Exiled_Tat_Gatherer likes this

#42360 ONLINE   Cavcraft

Cavcraft

• Staff
  • 35,432 posts
  • 125 thanks
  • LocationI'm not a racist, I'm merely supporting my country! and central locking

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:30 PM

As incredulous as this may seem, it appears the (1.7 n/a diesel) engine in my Mk3 Astra estate is writing cheques that the headlights cannot honour.

• Lacquer Peel and Hooli like this
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain"

7 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

crapcarcollector, Parky, chickenrun