Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The News 24 Thread

• Please log in to reply
39044 replies to this topic

#39031 ONLINE   greengartside

greengartside

• Full Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationCarrot Cruncher land

Posted Yesterday, 09:15 PM

Managed to get the bonnet open on the £0 Astra!

There is a metal rod that sits behind the main bonnet spring, this rod when pushed to the passenger side of the car disconnects the spring and pops the bonnet open. I managed to utilise an old barbeque skewer and bent a hook on the end to grab the metal rod. One sharp pull and the bonnet was open. The reason why the cable had failed was that the clamp that holds the cable taut had completely broken and was missing so the cable was flapping looser than Katie Hopkins' mouth. One job to do before the bonnet gets closed.

I then sacked off the kippered battery and fitted a £20 secondhand 085 jobbie that I bought earlier this morning, along with a replacement grille that I smashed to pieces in getting to the lock. New battery installed and all electrical systems came back to life. Even the radio still worked. Interestingly all the station presets from when it was a hire car in Liverpool were still present, one I think was Radio City?

I thought fuck it, and turned the key to see what would happen. After three years of sitting idle it fired up first try and idled perfectly, along with a cloud of blue / grey smoke! Turbo has definitely shit itself! I drove it up and down the (private) cul-de-sac and all seems okay. Even the brakes came back to life a little too!

ALL VORXORLS RNT SHIT.

• Spottedlaurel, Lord Sterling, doug and 10 others like this

2001 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Zetec-S

2006 Vauxhall Astra 1.9 CDTi SRi XP (Broken)

'George Michael looking lovingly at a giant glass arse plug'  

#39032 OFFLINE   MarvinsMom

MarvinsMom

• Full Members
  • 4,949 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationNorth Yorks

Posted Yesterday, 09:31 PM

mini has passed the MOT.

all legal for another year.

BUT there is some corrosion in the back subframe, and tester thinks we will need a new one for next year... :-(

Current Fleet-
2001 Rover 75 CDT Tourer
1997 Rover Mini Cooper Sport
1995 Jaguar XJR-6 SOLD
1989 Austin Metro

#39033 OFFLINE   Sloth in a bowl

Sloth in a bowl

The Furry One

• Full Members
  • 2,289 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationin a bowl, obviously

Posted Yesterday, 09:32 PM

I need some help guys (and gals)! I keep looking at vans and getting a massive urge for one. However I know in reality that it's actually because I have the urge for new shite. Just with a van I have plenty of excuses for. The urge for new shite is something that we all experience here and so I seek help from here.

However my big problem is that I'm strictly limited to 3 cars by the Mrs. As this is what can be fitted on the drive to not upset the neighbours and not be spending too much on running costs by having multiple vehicles. Now as I don't want to be another member of the Single and Sad thread, I need to abide by this ruling...

Problem is I don't know what I really want. There are plenty of things on my list of cars I want, but at the same time I quite like the cars I have.

So I mentioned to the other half that I fancy a Clio 172/182 and her response was "Why don't you sell the Laguna?". Problem is I really like the Laguna still. Also being what it is, it's not something that'll sell very easily.

The other option is the Smart. I haven't fallen in love with it as much as I thought. I think it's because I've been corrupted by vehicles with decent* levels of power and I find that the Smart needs a bit more for myself. However I'm not sure I've finished with it either, as I don't really like it until I drive it.

Finally is what to get. I really want a 172/182 before they go silly expensive, but at the same time I really want to have a proper (older than 1980s) classic. An old classic would probably satisfy the fiddle factor of something for me to tend to. But again what. Possibly something like a Rover P6 or MG GT because I think they look cool.

Or maybe a E46 330ci coupe??

Argghhhh. What do I do?!

Changing car doesn't make sense, especially as I cycle into work and I only use it at weekends for fun.

Perhaps this would be a better question on a separate thread?

I think you need a thread with pictures of each car and the pros and cons listed. Then lots of drunk shitters can tell you totally contradictory reasons for keeping/getting rid of each car.

From my point of view you need, a sensible car to keep the Mrs happy (doesn't have to be boring), a throw it a bout and grin car, an older bit of class car. Your mileage may vary.

• SiC likes this

Future Shite - 2014 Skoda Octavia VRS

Past Shite - 1974 Datsun 260Z

Track Shite - 2000 Ford Puma

Previously owned shite

84 Fiat Uno

94 Renault Laguna Mk1

02 Volvo V40

99 The Scotoshite Kia/Volvo Pride

#39034 OFFLINE   Justin Case

Justin Case

• Full Members
  • 2,071 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 10:14 PM

I don't know it myself, but don't go through Tyseley very often.

Unless you are heading to the loco works or catching a steam special then there is not a lot to see over there.

https://www.google.c...t/data=!3m1!1e3

Thanks for the link, I followed it, indeed I followed the Warwick Road, and heading East soon found Metro Man Rover Spares, which must be it, because it is the only shop around there not selling furniture. Unfortunately, clicking on an alleged to link to the Metro Man website landed on a site showing the smug features of the sort of hateful character who spends even more on his beard than his Audi A! PCP and would sooner die of thirst than drink a cup of coffee from anywhere other than Starbucks. :(

I tried to deny the existence of Ohm's Law, but I met too much resistance.

My photos: http://www.flickr.co...87@N03/?saved=1

#39035 OFFLINE   Sloth in a bowl

Sloth in a bowl

The Furry One

• Full Members
  • 2,289 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationin a bowl, obviously

Posted Yesterday, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the link, I followed it, indeed I followed the Warwick Road, and heading East soon found Metro Man Rover Spares, which must be it, because it is the only shop around there not selling furniture. Unfortunately, clicking on an alleged to link to the Metro Man website landed on a site showing the smug features of the sort of hateful character who spends even more on his beard than his Audi A! PCP and would sooner die of thirst than drink a cup of coffee from anywhere other than Starbucks. :(

That is a fantastic lineup of chod they have, with more in the back yard and tyres stacked on the roof.

https://www.google.c...t/data=!3m1!1e3 for the curious

Future Shite - 2014 Skoda Octavia VRS

Past Shite - 1974 Datsun 260Z

Track Shite - 2000 Ford Puma

Previously owned shite

84 Fiat Uno

94 Renault Laguna Mk1

02 Volvo V40

99 The Scotoshite Kia/Volvo Pride

#39036 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 9,571 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 11:52 PM

Got the track rod end done on the MGF this afternoon.  Actually started it this morning, jacked the car up and got the wheel off, but it all looked a tad rusty so I saturated it in GT85 for a few hours.  It rewarded me by lulling me into a false sense of security when I got the socket set on it and the nut immediately cracked off and began to undo.  I got about a couple of turns out of it before it got stuck again and started turning the bolt with it.  The design of MGF track rod ends is such that there is no way to retain the bolt to stop this happening - no flats machined into it and no handy little Allen socket in the end.  GR9 piece of design.

I was able to get it undone a bit further by levering down on the ball joint with a crowbar as suggested by Hairnet, but eventually the ball joint dropped so far down from the steering arm that I couldn't get a purchase on it any more.  Unfortunately this was also the point the threads went completely to shite. In the end I went and got the hacksaw and sawed a groove in the end of the bolt to allow me to get a screwdriver in and hold it still.  This didn't work either - the screwdriver went in OK, but the nut was so badly stuck at this point that I couldn't get enough grip on the screwdriver to hold it.  So I carried on hacksawing until I'd sawed about 3/4 of the way through the nut - the combination of the heat from the sawing and the fact that it was nearly in half was enough to release it and it undid the rest of the way quite easily.

The rest was a piece of piss - once I'd cracked off the locknut on the track rod the end literally undid by hand, and the new one was on in a couple of minutes.  I think I left the locknut more or less where it was so the tracking shouldn't be too far out...  All that's left now is to strap the battery down and then make sure I take it for a good thrash before the retest to warm the cat through, and it should be all good.  It's booked in for next Saturday at 8.30, and if it passes I may even take it for a celebratory run up to Shitefest...

• Spottedlaurel likes this

#39037 OFFLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 6,937 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationCornwall

Posted Today, 04:15 AM

Mr Makita is your friend for track rod end nuts !
  • mrbenn likes this

Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi - the boring modern 

Fiat Ducato 2009 l3h2

Honda Crf250X

Suzuki TS50x

Kawasaki Ke175d

Prilla Pigsasshole 650

Saxo 1.5D

Land Rover 90 2.5 petrol

Honda CB250N super wet dream

#39038 OFFLINE   Semi-C

Semi-C

• Full Members
  • 615 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationEast Angliaaargh

Posted Today, 06:15 AM

D'ya mean this fella?...

Attached Images

• image.jpg

#39039 OFFLINE   320touring

320touring

• Full Members
  • 7,061 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted Today, 06:36 AM

"I'mma Stanley Baxter the fuckers!"
*wiggles wig*
  • Semi-C likes this
Read about my chod based adventures here:
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

#39040 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Beard in Wales

• Full Members
  • 22,556 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted Today, 07:36 AM

Mr Makita is your friend for track rod end nuts !

Also, always give threads a good going with a wire brush. Penetrating oil always helps, but manky threads will always jam up.

1986 Citroen 2CV Dolly (Back on the road!) 1989 Nissan Bluebird (Blue)

1997 Honda S-MX (JDM YO!) 1999 Perodua Nippa EX (Tiny)

HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twatter

#39041 OFFLINE   17-Coffees

17-Coffees

• Full Members
  • 413 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationAberdeen.

Posted Today, 08:51 AM

Currently with the 316 at Crathis Vintage car show today, event organisers at registration seemed cool with its, people in th same row as me have a glancing "Wat" look.
I've gone as far to have a print off saying how the car is 'rare' and such, least I'm trying to fit in...and gave it a quick jetwash before coming.
IMG_0963.JPG

Feels good to be driving it again though, worlds away from the Abarth!
  • dollywobbler, loserone, Bucketeer and 3 others like this

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I did a 1000 round trip to drink & help push cars out of a muddy field, 10/10 would do again!" 

-Summery of Shitefest 2016. 

The Fleet:

- The HMS LexBarge, 2000 Lexus LS400. 

- 'Shed IV', 1995 BMW 316i. (Co-owned with Supernaut)

Other's not on here:

- 2015 Abarth 595

- 2000 Honda Civic Aerodeck

- 1994 Suzuki Cappuccino

#39042 OFFLINE   ruffgeezer

ruffgeezer

• Full Members
  • 2,916 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationSpilsby, Lincs

Posted Today, 09:39 AM

As is the best preparation for shitefest, I am away on holiday until Friday and so today investigated a Welsh car boot sale...

This was parked at the entrance..
20170528_090737.jpg

It's a lovely looking thing but if it were mine that steering wheel would be getting in the sea sharpish.

20170528_090752.jpg

I bought a tent ready for shitefest and a new tyre for the Volvo, the same brand as it already has for £20 nearly new. Tidy.
  • M'coli, FPB7 and Lacquer Peel like this
1973 Datsun 1200 Station Wagon
2003 Berlingo; mega slow, mega miles.
1995 AX VTS
2004 Berlingo (Mrs Ruff's)
***This space available for more Chod!***<p>autoshite2.jpg
Autoshite Dealership Stickers £1.75 including postage, Pm me for info!

#39043 ONLINE   Bucketeer

Bucketeer

• Full Members
  • 1,804 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationIn a tent. Somewhere.

Posted Today, 10:14 AM

Perhaps this would be a better question on a separate thread?

Please no. The maximum acceptable number of 'what should I buy' threads (zero) has long since been exceeded.
  • Lacquer Peel likes this

#39044 OFFLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 3,067 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted Today, 11:12 AM

I finally have a car that qualifies for classic insurance! Just had a very reasonable quote for my R8 cabriolet :D
2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access
1998 R Skoda Felicia 1.3
1998 R Rover 216 Cabriolet

1996 P VW Golf 1.8 Auto (ex sporty-shite)

#39045 OFFLINE   beko1987

beko1987

Shonky old Citroen

• Full Members
  • 10,055 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationThame, Oxon

Posted Today, 11:50 AM

I bought a car vacuum that clips onto a car battery from the car boot today, it blows too but not quite enough for my air bed. But good enough, taking it off is the problem as loads of air passes out of the valve. Need to cancel the bid I've got on a 12v airbed pump later, unless anyone will want it?

2005 Gooner2 2.2dci Auto ex taxi (apparently) (Ex Kiltox)

2008 orl Vauxhalls r Shit Zafira 1.8 SRI 140 (Hers)

4 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

rml2345, cort16